Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did Ya'll Get This Letter Too? - PARTICULATE MATTER SENSOR

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I had this issue. went in to get the recall, flashed my computer and told me I already had the sensor. I had to show them that it was in fact not installed. The dealer did not want me to drive the truck with the flash done and the sensor missing. They gave me a rental and somehow found a sensor within a couple of days. Did they do this to someone else to put you number two on the list? If not you should be number one.
Some of them are really that incompetent. I went to the dealer to get some sales code updates put in the computer for options they installed and failed to flash. 4 hours later I get my truck back and it immediately went into an automatic regen because they idled the engine to install the update. They didn’t put a battery tender on it like they are supposed to. I would have never used or bought from this dealer except they had the exact vehicle I wanted.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Went to the dealership Chrysler Customer Care directed me to and got the long transmission dipstick done and signed up with them for the Y43 recall. Im #5 on the list.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Getting the Y43 done today. New dealer and service advisor are good folks.

Lettikka

Reaction score
It was a pretty quick deal when I got it done. I probably waited for about 30 min and they were slinging me the keys.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
We’ve been here about an hour so far but they are checking out some other stuff for me.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Had the Y43 recall done 1/30/24 and with 500 miles since having it done, there is no difference in how the truck runs, uses DEF or frequency of regens. DPF gauge still works the same also. I can not tell any difference whatsoever.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Had the Y43 recall done 1/30/24 and with 500 miles since having it done, there is no difference in how the truck runs, uses DEF or frequency of regens. DPF gauge still works the same also. I can not tell any difference whatsoever.

You won't know that sensor is there unless your DPF fails.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Well Ive noticed my truck is using a little more DEF since the Y43 recall was done. Not a lot of difference but I can tell the gauge is coming down more now. Before it seemed like it hardly used any. I put a 2.5 gallon jug in on 2/15. The gauge was on 7/8. Ive driven almost exactly 1000 miles and the gauge is now down to 5/8 with minimal towing. 1.25 gallons for 1k miles sounds more like what others are using. Calculated out it looks like a gallon for 800 miles.

Last edited:

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
My 22 3500 HO DRW went 1,410 miles on 2.5 gallon of Blue Platinum DEF this past fill up. EVIC fuel economy says 14.7 mpg average. Thats 90%+ highway driving at 75mph in an unloaded / not towing configuration. Works out to about 2.5 - 2.6% DEF to Fuel Consumed which is right where it’s supposed to be. Slightly elevated consumption due to the higher speed but well within the realm of normal. I’ve had Y43 completed for several months and have noticed no issues or changes in DEF consumption or Fuel consumption. What I’m calculating now is about the same as what I calculated prior to having it completed. Based on everything I have studied on this and experienced myself, I don’t see how Y43 would have any impact on DEF consumption. I would be more inclined to believe that variation in consumption is more readily attributable to operating conditions, duty cycles, variations in the DEF itself, and potentially variations of the fuel consumed.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
My 22 3500 HO DRW went 1,410 miles on 2.5 gallon of Blue Platinum DEF this past fill up. EVIC fuel economy says 14.7 mpg average. Thats 90%+ highway driving at 75mph in an unloaded / not towing configuration. Works out to about 2.5 - 2.6% DEF to Fuel Consumed which is right where it’s supposed to be. Slightly elevated consumption due to the higher speed but well within the realm of normal. I’ve had Y43 completed for several months and have noticed no issues or changes in DEF consumption or Fuel consumption. What I’m calculating now is about the same as what I calculated prior to having it completed. Based on everything I have studied on this and experienced myself, I don’t see how Y43 would have any impact on DEF consumption. I would be more inclined to believe that variation in consumption is more readily attributable to operating conditions, duty cycles, variations in the DEF itself, and potentially variations of the fuel consumed.
I don’t know. Mine seemed like it never used any DEF before. But now I can actually tell the gauge has moved. Definitely haven’t been driving as much during the cold spells.

baker01

Reaction score
I have tracked DEF usage since my truck was new. The Y43 did not make a difference in usage for my truck. 2022 DRW HO, 500-600 MPG for DEF use combined towing, highway and city

Last edited:

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I have tracked DEF usage since my truck was new. The Y43 did not make a difference in usage for my truck. 2022 DRW HO 500-600 MPG for DEF use combined towing, highway and city
I just started trying to keep track of my usage lately. I recorded the date and mileage when I last put DEF in it. Just currently coming up on 11k miles with 3300 towing but with the warmer weather I expect to increase the towing miles.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have tracked DEF usage since my truck was new. The Y43 did not make a difference in usage for my truck. 2022 DRW HO, 500-600 MPG for DEF use combined towing, highway and city

Same here.

I just started trying to keep track of my usage lately. I recorded the date and mileage when I last put DEF in it. Just currently coming up on 11k miles with 3300 towing but with the warmer weather I expect to increase the towing miles.

The gauge isn’t linear, so unless you’re tracking it by filling with a pump it’s hard to get a good record.

The Y43 recall is a sensor to monitor DPF health and has nothing to do with DEF/SCR.

baker01

Reaction score
Same here.

The gauge isn’t linear, so unless you’re tracking it by filling with a pump it’s hard to get a good record.

The Y43 recall is a sensor to monitor DPF health and has nothing to do with DEF/SCR.
Mines measured, I can get 2.5 gallons in when the gauge is around 58%.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

I have yet to fill the tank when it’s that full, but the gauge at 7/16 has taken right at 3 gallons.

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
Do you prefer the Platinum DEF? If so why? I've been a plain Blue DEF guy for most of the time as I get the jug at COSTCO and that's all they have. I have 24k miles on the truck now and so far no DEF system errors. But, if Platinum would help insure no errors, I would switch to that.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I try not to put any in mine until it gets down to 1/4 tank on the gauge. 2.5 gallons added to the 1/4 brings it up to 3/4. Ive read where some have had trouble by over filling the DEF tank especially in freezing weather. I’ve personally seen a DEF tank split from being full and freezing. Not on my truck but another unit.

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
I don't have to deal with DEF freezing, so there's that, but I have topped it off (by accident honestly to where it splashed out on me and the truck) and not had an issue.

I usually run it down to 1/2 and then put a 2.5 gal jug in only so that it I know the whole jug fits in the tank.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I don't have to deal with DEF freezing, so there's that, but I have topped it off (by accident honestly to where it splashed out on me and the truck) and not had an issue.

I usually run it down to 1/2 and then put a 2.5 gal jug in only so that it I know the whole jug fits in the tank.
We didn’t either until it happened. I don’t know but heard the level sensor uses some kind of sonar to detect the DEF level and needs a certain amount of air space at the top to work correctly.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you prefer the Platinum DEF? If so why? I've been a plain Blue DEF guy for most of the time as I get the jug at COSTCO and that's all they have. I have 24k miles on the truck now and so far no DEF system errors. But, if Platinum would help insure no errors, I would switch to that.
Yes I will only use the platinum DEF. It’s a different formulation over conventional and does indeed reduce the risk of crystalline deposits forming on the dosing injector and the SCR canister itself. I have used it on both my 2017 and now this 2022 and it has performed as advertised. I’ve had absolutely zero DEF related issues outside of one failed DEF injector (coincidentally which happened within a few hundred miles of me filling up at a truck stop DEF pump the one time I was on the road and was running inconveniently low of fluid.). Outside of that my trucks and equipment only see the platinum stuff and I’ve had zero issues while using it. To me, the added expense at the time of purchase is greatly offset by the lack of downtime and repair costs

Users who are viewing this thread