Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did Ya'll Get This Letter Too? - PARTICULATE MATTER SENSOR

Lettikka

Reaction score
It says it may not have been installed during manufacturing? Sounds sketchy. Anyone know exactly what this is? The letter also states that FCA will warranty the DPF for 12 months after this module is intalled... Kinda sounds like it could be bad for the DPF?

Attachments

• Recall.pdf
    654.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Midwesterner

Reaction score

tchur1

Reaction score
I got my notice like 2 weeks ago. Most 22's are missing this sensor. They started replacing the C&C trucks last year and are now getting to our trucks. I had my dealer order parts for mine when I had the grid heater replaced a couple weeks ago.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Just got my letter in the mail today. Since it’s CARB required and approved I don’t know if I want to have mine done. My truck is NOT going to Ca. Some folks having trouble with too frequent regens after getting some mileage on their trucks and I think it may be due to new tier extra emissions programming. “We will make you buy an EV sooner rather than later”. My truck is only 5 months old and I’m not sure I want them screwing with it.

flan

Reaction score
Just got my letter in the mail today. Since it’s CARB required and approved I don’t know if I want to have mine done. My truck is NOT going to Ca. Some folks having trouble with too frequent regens after getting some mileage on their trucks and I think it may be due to new tier extra emissions programming. “We will make you buy an EV sooner rather than later”. My truck is only 5 months old and I’m not sure I want them screwing with it.
Some people with the missing PM sensor are having excessive regens as well, so it does not seem to be “extra emission programming” causing that issue, more likely faulty sensors or filters not yet properly diagnosed.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven’t gotten a letter yet, but I had the Y43 complied with yesterday. I’ll be driving the truck a little more next month and will see if I can tell a difference, but I highly doubt it. It would be nice if it helps out with the frequent regens many 22 owners are experiencing.

Most of the people experiencing too frequent of regens have trucks that were built without the sensor. It’s too early to tell if there is correlation there or not.

19-21 had the sensor, and 23’s have it too. Getting it added to your 22 isn’t part of new tier programming, it’s adding a sensor that was left out due to chip shortages.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I called the dealership yesterday to try to get an appointment. They told me I have to have my truck inspected to see if it has the sensor or not and then they will order the parts and have to make another appointment to get them installed and reprogrammed. Said they were 3 weeks out for appointments. Yahoo

RonWagnon

Reaction score
I had the Y43 recall done on Monday. I have been having the frequent regen problem for about 1.5 months now (started around 10k on odometer). Regens are occurring every other day when DPF filter hits 35-40% full (approx. 40-45 miles driving). After regen the DPF shows 0%. It bumps up to 20% after driving approx. 15-20 miles (doesn't matter if hwy or city). This past weekend On a 60 mile round trip the regen started around 3 miles from home and was complete around mile 30. Drove around town approx. 20 miles and headed home when began 2nd regen which lasted for about 25 miles. Since completing the recall on Monday I had one regen on Tuesday afternoon. The DPF was close to 30% when I picked up the truck from the dealership. As of this morning my DPF is showing 25% with approx. 20 miles driving since last regen. The service guy seemed to think the recall would stop the regen frequency problem, however I'm expecting a regen to occur again this afternoon on the way home from work. We shall see!!!

5Willy2

Reaction score
Got the recall yesterday, as OLEJOE stated I got the same story, inspect first then order as needed. I havent had repeated regens as others and am leary about having this done soon. More smog stuff is never a good thing for performance and mileage.
I live in Ca. and had to have my 22 2500 diesel smogged for registraton ??!!!!$$$$ Called the DMV to make sure this was correct only being a year old, and they stated the diesels have to be smogged EACH year.

50$ a ^%$# year for a visual inspection, the smog guy said his machine would be ruined if he stuck the exhaust probe in the exhaust pipe to determine if it smog compliant?!? He stated that diesel guys tweek their trucks more than gassers for performance, now if you do tweek your rig you will have to return the engine to stock performance/parts each year.

Idaho is looking better every day now.

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
Got the recall yesterday, as OLEJOE stated I got the same story, inspect first then order as needed. I havent had repeated regens as others and am leary about having this done soon. More smog stuff is never a good thing for performance and mileage.
I live in Ca. and had to have my 22 2500 diesel smogged for registraton ??!!!!$$$$ Called the DMV to make sure this was correct only being a year old, and they stated the diesels have to be smogged EACH year.

50$ a ^%$# year for a visual inspection, the smog guy said his machine would be ruined if he stuck the exhaust probe in the exhaust pipe to determine if it smog compliant?!? He stated that diesel guys tweek their trucks more than gassers for performance, now if you do tweek your rig you will have to return the engine to stock performance/parts each year.

Idaho is looking better every day now.
I live in CA. I renewed my 2022 2500 cummins without a request from DMV to do smog. Not sure if it's a county driven thing or what??

5Willy2

Reaction score
Blueox, I live in orange county. It had smog required on my registration notice. Took the registration to AAA and they confirmed smog cert required.

5Willy2

Reaction score
Must be a county thing, good for you dodging the bullet

Attachments

• IMG_4004 (1).jpg
    IMG_4004 (1).jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 18

CaptainMike

Reaction score
I got mine done pretty quickly. I'm fortunate to have a very good dealership to work with and they value their customers. I've no issues with regens and I'm hoping it stays that way. However, I'm pretty well fed up with California, and Tennessee is looking pretty good. TN and KY is where my ancestors are from and I'm driving out next spring with a pocket full of money to find a home back with my people. Smokey Mountain memories, bout my home in Tennessee, Yesterday keeps calling me, Calling me ho-ome....

TomTom

Reaction score
I had the Y43 recall done on Monday. I have been having the frequent regen problem for about 1.5 months now (started around 10k on odometer). Regens are occurring every other day when DPF filter hits 35-40% full (approx. 40-45 miles driving). After regen the DPF shows 0%. It bumps up to 20% after driving approx. 15-20 miles (doesn't matter if hwy or city). This past weekend On a 60 mile round trip the regen started around 3 miles from home and was complete around mile 30. Drove around town approx. 20 miles and headed home when began 2nd regen which lasted for about 25 miles. Since completing the recall on Monday I had one regen on Tuesday afternoon. The DPF was close to 30% when I picked up the truck from the dealership. As of this morning my DPF is showing 25% with approx. 20 miles driving since last regen. The service guy seemed to think the recall would stop the regen frequency problem, however I'm expecting a regen to occur again this afternoon on the way home from work. We shall see!!!
Following…..I have similar regen issues and very interested to see if this fixes anyone’s experiences with it.

Jay P

Reaction score
The missing sensor has nothing to do with regens and won't fix a regen issue. The sensor is there to make sure the DPF is working and removing soot. It does the same thing as the post catalytic converter O2 sensor on a gas engine.
As for the constant refgens, I would be making sure you have the correct air filter, no exhaust leaks and don't have any boost leaks.
Jay

Users who are viewing this thread