Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Def injector disconnect

4trucksakes

Reaction score
Dealership and mechanic said thaw the truck problem may go away. Hopefullly you can do the same.

flan

Reaction score
Let us know how it works out for you. What’s the temperature where you are anyways?

4trucksakes

Reaction score
It was minus 22 when I had the issues. Now it’s minus 8,10 so not that cold.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My DEF had froze enough times never once did the DPF have any codes or other issues other than DEF system error and limp mode count down

4trucksakes

Reaction score
What did you have to do to unthaw and how long did that take? Keep in mind there is a million things that it could be. I wanted to trouble shoot by disconnecting the injector and make sure not plugged. If that’s not it then move on to the next. I live 4.5 hours from dealership so trying to avoid $1000 tow bill.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What did you have to do to unthaw and how long did that take? Keep in mind there is a million things that it could be. I wanted to trouble shoot by disconnecting the injector and make sure not plugged. If that’s not it then move on to the next. I live 4.5 hours from dealership so trying to avoid $1000 tow bill.
Unthaw = freeze

What codes are still present? If it’s only the P242F then forget the phrase DEF, period. There aren’t a million things it can be, but there are plenty it can’t and a DEF problem is in the can’t list.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Every time required a dealer visit as it would not reset even leaving it to thaw in a heated shop over night

You have a DPF issue dealer service is required it is free and should be a free tow if need be covered under warranty

4trucksakes

Reaction score
Every time required a dealer visit as it would not reset even leaving it to thaw in a heated shop over night

You have a DPF issue dealer service is required it is free and should be a free tow if need be covered under warranty
Turns out the whole system was partially frozen. I wasn’t able to get on a road that allows me to do proper Regen. So I drove to dealership. As soon as I got onto highway it did auto Regen. I did have to stop before it was complete for construction. But it’s back to acceptable levels.

Attachments

• 5EE69AE2-3F7D-410C-B14C-60196BF2BB4A.jpeg
    5EE69AE2-3F7D-410C-B14C-60196BF2BB4A.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 22

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Turns out the whole system was partially frozen. I wasn’t able to get on a road that allows me to do proper Regen. So I drove to dealership. As soon as I got onto highway it did auto Regen. I did have to stop before it was complete for construction. But it’s back to acceptable levels.
Glad that the DPF levels came down, but there isn't anything to freeze up in the DPF/Regen system.

It should also go into regen at low speeds, I've seen mine start regen at 5 mph as long as the exhaust temps coming out of the engine are above ~500°F.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Dpf cant freeze up

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

4trucksakes

Reaction score
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares
Problems went away on its own. Lights went off problem solved. Something about going from mins 15 to plus 5 clears the issue. So not sure how good the advice I got here was. Seems the dealership that told me it was likely pcm sensor telling me dpf was frozen was onlg sound advice. Oh and my cousin who the other guy wouldn’t let him change his tires.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Problems went away on its own. Lights went off problem solved. Something about going from mins 15 to plus 5 clears the issue. So not sure how good the advice I got here was. Seems the dealership that told me it was likely pcm sensor telling me dpf was frozen was onlg sound advice. Oh and my cousin who the other guy wouldn’t let him change his tires.

It's rather impressive how difficult this DPF vs DEF concept is for you....

DPF cannot freeze, but you cannot grasp that either o_O

You got plenty of sound advice, yet listened to none of it. You latched onto bad advise and are still taking it for gospel even thou you have been told otherwise.

4trucksakes

Reaction score
It's rather impressive how difficult this DPF vs DEF concept is for you....

DPF cannot freeze, but you cannot grasp that either o_O

You got plenty of sound advice, yet listened to none of it. You latched onto bad advice and are still taking it for gospel even thou you have been told otherwise.
Problems solved I had to do nothing. If you want to give dealership your money feel free. I said I was told the system was likely frozen. What ever that means appears to be the the case. Don’t know what you don’t understand about that. But doesn’t matter. If one person has my issue and it helps them great. Clearly this post still hasn’t helped you.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Problems solved I had to do nothing. If you want to give dealership your money feel free. I said I was told the system was likely frozen. What ever that means appears to be the the case. Don’t know what you don’t understand about that. But doesn’t matter. If one person has my issue and it helps them great. Clearly this post still hasn’t helped you.

I disagree... this thread has been overly comical, and it will likely be hilarious for anyone that reads it.

Users who are viewing this thread