Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Def injector disconnect

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What water was I supposed to drink I’m all ears

The difference in DPF and DEF.

A quick recap:

-DPF = diesel particulate filter. It uses fuel to actively clean itself out when plugged with particulate matter or every 24 engine hours. It will eventually get plugged with ash and need replaced.
-DEF = diesel exhaust fluid. DEF is injected into the SCR (selective catalytic reduction) to reduce NOx output.
-DPF and DEF do not work in conjunction with each other.
-Your DPF did not freeze up, there is nothing to freeze.
-The multiple regens in 300km has nothing to do with DEF, and is not normal. Hopefully the DPF just needs one good active regen (I would still recommend a stationary regen, or a long HEAVY towing trip).
-The P242F code is a plugged DPF code, which has nothing to do with DEF. It means active regens have been unsuccessful at cleaning the DPF and/or the DPF may be at the end of it's useful life due to ash loading.
-The fact that it warmed up outside and your truck did a regen is coincidence, the DPF doesn't care what the ambient temp is.
-The dealership was recommended for a stationary regen since you didn't want to go the route of AlfaOBD and a Security Bypass module. This would clean the DPF, something you can't do by removing the DEF nozzle.
-You keep trying to blame the P242F and 100% DPF on DEF, it's not related to DEF.

At 125K km you should still have a warranty on the particulate filter (5 years / 160K km). If the code pops back up take it to the dealership.

What engine oil do you use?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
what do they ask at the border? genuinely curious. I'm based in tx, so don't have to worry about any nosey joes.

4trucksakes

Reaction score
I have never been asked when i cross the border but this truck is personal use so they tend to ask less questions lol
what do they ask at the border? genuinely curious. I'm based in tx, so don't have to worry about any nosey joes.
I’m a criminal pal been to prison. However I’m allowed to cross border because I’m 50% Native. Which allows me to cross under the jay treaty! So I have lots of questions asked. They go the extra mile to investigate me. I could write a book on the topic. 120k truck doesn’t help matters.

4trucksakes

Reaction score

A quick recap:

-DPF = diesel particulate filter. It uses fuel to actively clean itself out when plugged with particulate matter or every 24 engine hours. It will eventually get plugged with ash and need replaced.
-DEF = diesel exhaust fluid. DEF is injected into the SCR (selective catalytic reduction) to reduce NOx output.
-The multiple regens in 300km has nothing to do with DEF, and is not normal. Hopefully the DPF just needs one good active regen (I would still recommend a stationary regen, or a long HEAVY towing trip).
-The P242F code is a plugged DPF code, which has nothing to do with DEF. It means active regens have been unsuccessful at cleaning the DPF and/or the DPF may be at the end of it's useful life due to ash loading.
-The fact that it warmed up outside and your truck did a regen is coincidence, the DPF doesn't care what the ambient temp is.
-The dealership was recommended for a stationary regen since you didn't want to go the route of AlfaOBD and a Security Bypass module. This would clean the DPF, something you can't do by removing the DEF nozzle.
-You keep trying to blame the P242F and 100% DPF on DEF, it's not related to DEF.

At 125K km you should still have a warranty on the particulate filter (5 years / 160K km). If the code pops back up take it to the dealership.

I use rotella t6 I believe ? Hope that’s spelled correctly. Would me not changing my filter under hood on time effect things? They didn’t have it twice when I went to dealerships. Then when I went to usa one they wanted 4x what it costs in Canada. However I do have it now and will change tomorrow. Thanks for crash coarse on the whole system. The dealership said the censor tricks truck into thinking DPF is full. Likely because it’s frozen. What exactly that means I don’t know. Warmer weather solved that. Codes went away with no visit to dealership. My cousin had same issue but then did a delete. Which I cannot do

4trucksakes

Reaction score

A quick recap:

Oh one more thing the truck did do an active Regen. And which I have never seen that message before. Since then it didn’t do anymore regen

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I use rotella t6 I believe ? Hope that’s spelled correctly. Would me not changing my filter under hood on time effect things? They didn’t have it twice when I went to dealerships. Then when I went to usa one they wanted 4x what it costs in Canada. However I do have it now and will change tomorrow. Thanks for crash coarse on the whole system. The dealership said the censor tricks truck into thinking DPF is full. Likely because it’s frozen. What exactly that means I don’t know. Warmer weather solved that. Codes went away with no visit to dealership. My cousin had same issue but then did a delete. Which I cannot do
Filters wont affect it, when you don't change the fuel filter you just run the risk of it clogging nothing else but in reality the rear filter will clog first usually it wont hurt filtration any.

4trucksakes

Reaction score
Filters wont affect it, when you don't change the fuel filter you just run the risk of it clogging nothing else but in reality the rear filter will clog first usually it wont hurt filtration any.
Ok rear one was done on time as it was in stock when I needed it. Just under hood and I been paranoid about it

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ok rear one was done on time as it was in stock when I needed it. Just under hood and I been paranoid about it
In reality you could probably do over double the interval without issue but its not worth testing out

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Not changing the filter can affect things like power and injector life, but it won’t have an effect on the DPF plugging. It’s likely there was no harm done thou as the filtration system is pretty impressive on these trucks.

Rotella T6 is a low ash oil, unless you have some really really old stock, and shouldn’t have a negative effect on DPF life.

Take what the dealership told you with a very large grain of salt, as the information you were given is not accurate. As it has been mentioned there is nothing in the DPF to freeze up. Irregardless of the ambient temp the DPF will be well above 400°F by the time the engine is at operating temp, and usually above 500°F even in low load driving. It can get as hot as 900°F while towing even when it’s not in regen.

You’ve just missed the active regen message on the DPF page as it indicates a regen is going on whenever it’s active. When the DPF gets above 80% you will see a message that flashes on the screen even if you’re not on the DPF page.

4trucksakes

Reaction score
Not changing the filter can affect things like power and injector life, but it won’t have an effect on the DPF plugging. It’s likely there was no harm done thou as the filtration system is pretty impressive on these trucks.

Rotella T6 is a low ash oil, unless you have some really really old stock, and shouldn’t have a negative effect on DPF life.

Take what the dealership told you with a very large grain of salt, as the information you were given is not accurate. As it has been mentioned there is nothing in the DPF to freeze up. Irregardless of the ambient temp the DPF will be well above 400°F by the time the engine is at operating temp, and usually above 500°F even in low load driving. It can get as hot as 900°F while towing even when it’s not in regen.

You’ve just missed the active regen message on the DPF page as it indicates a regen is going on whenever it’s active. When the DPF gets above 80% you will see a message that flashes on the screen even if you’re not on the DPF page.
What I mean about the active regen code is. I seen it say truck in regen keep driving. This time is said active regen and didn’t say anything about keep driving. I never saw that message before during regen.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What I mean about the active regen code is. I seen it say truck in regen keep driving. This time is said active regen and didn’t say anything about keep driving. I never saw that message before during regen.

Interesting, I haven’t seen any info on the dash message telling you to keep driving.

The normal regen messages I’ve seen are just informative about regen occurring, but they have only been the 24 hour regens. I’ve had a couple that take more than 1 drive cycle to complete, and one that took 3 or 4 drive cycles.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Interesting, I haven’t seen any info on the dash message telling you to keep driving.

The normal regen messages I’ve seen are just informative about regen occurring, but they have only been the 24 hour regens. I’ve had a couple that take more than 1 drive cycle to complete, and one that took 3 or 4 drive cycles.
If you interrupt the Regen enough times it will give the keep driving message i got it before as my commute to work is 7 mins so i would never get a full regen in before shutting the truck off

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If you interrupt the Regen enough times it will give the keep driving message i got it before as my commute to work is 7 mins so i would never get a full regen in before shutting the truck off

I was probably pretty close this last hunting season, but finally got the full uphill 5 mile drive in and it completed. Only 7-12 mph, but a 2500’ elevation gain so the truck makes plenty of heat going up, but downhill doesn’t make the DOC hot enough to allow active regen to occur.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I was probably pretty close this last hunting season, but finally got the full uphill 5 mile drive in and it completed. Only 7-12 mph, but a 2500’ elevation gain so the truck makes plenty of heat going up, but downhill doesn’t make the DOC hot enough to allow active regen to occur.
Often i would set the parking brake leave in gear and just sit back and let it finish its regen in my driveway unless i had a longer drive than just the commute

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Often i would set the parking brake leave in gear and just sit back and let it finish its regen in my driveway unless i had a longer drive than just the commute

I’ll have to see if that works for me. I’ve seen it kick off at idle even it gear before, but I can’t recall if that was the ‘18 or the ‘22.

4trucksakes

Reaction score
I’ll have to see if that works for me. I’ve seen it kick off at idle even it gear before, but I can’t recall if that was the ‘18 or the ‘22.
Mine kicks off at idle. Shows you how much is left to burn off. I tried high idle no luck

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Mine always seem to finish idling in gear no issue but with the changes to the emissions flashes over the years it could be different for your 22 im not sure

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
They will go into regen at idle if it doesn’t complete one while driving. The owners manual states that it takes over 2 hours of failed regens for this to occur and you can notice it by the increase in idle rpms to 900.

This used to be called net zero idling and net reduction idling, thou I’m not sure if they still call it that.

I’ve never seen it on my truck, but I did see it on a buddies 2010 and my dads 2017.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They will go into regen at idle if it doesn’t complete one while driving. The owners manual states that it takes over 2 hours of failed regens for this to occur and you can notice it by the increase in idle rpms to 900.

This used to be called net zero idling and net reduction idling, thou I’m not sure if they still call it that.

I’ve never seen it on my truck, but I did see it on a buddies 2010 and my dads 2017.
Yes that is a regen while in park to my understanding its the same as a manual forced regen?

Users who are viewing this thread