Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

def fluid

flan

Reaction score
So any idea how diesel got in to DEF tank at work
The 2 systems cannot mix on their own. So if you insist you did not cross contaminate then one of 2 things happened. Someone did it to you in the form of vandalism, or the dealer mixed up that concoction to deceive you into paying that 8k repair bill.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Still 8 grand is a lot of money to clean the def tank and injectors. Unless the dealer plans on replacing the cat and all DEF components. If you are handy, it would be worthwhile to do it yourself. At the same time you can get a DEF sample for analysis. Just don't trust dealers. They make a lot of money on parts.

Tim_G

Reaction score
Lots of talk in other brand forum's that the Blue DEF Platinum is reeking havoc on all systems, from the 2.8l Duramax to the 7.3l Powerstroke and all points in between. Common repair is to do like has been recommended earlier, drop and clean the tank. On one of the 2.8l forums, there is a deep dive into the SDS of the Platinum DEF and its ingredients. BLUF: Peak appears to be selling bad stuff and calling it "Platinum". Typical marketing money-grab.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of talk in other brand forum's that the Blue DEF Platinum is reeking havoc on all systems, from the 2.8l Duramax to the 7.3l Powerstroke and all points in between. Common repair is to do like has been recommended earlier, drop and clean the tank. On one of the 2.8l forums, there is a deep dive into the SDS of the Platinum DEF and its ingredients. BLUF: Peak appears to be selling bad stuff and calling it "Platinum". Typical marketing money-grab.

Uhhh, don’t think the 7.3L Furd ever used DEF :cool:

Cobalt99

Reaction score
Still 8 grand is a lot of money to clean the def tank and injectors. Unless the dealer plans on replacing the cat and all DEF components. If you are handy, it would be worthwhile to do it yourself. At the same time you can get a DEF sample for analysis. Just don't trust dealers. They make a lot of money on parts.
were can I take DEF for analysis? thanks

Cobalt99

Reaction score
The 2 systems cannot mix on their own. So if you insist you did not cross contaminate then one of 2 things happened. Someone did it to you in the form of vandalism, or the dealer mixed up that concoction to deceive you into paying that 8k repair bill.
I watched a video on you tube and yes it looks like diesel fuel contamination to me. It is hard for me to blame vandalism or dealer but yes you are right it got there somehow Thanks

John Jensen

Reaction score
were can I take DEF for analysis? thanks
As mentioned above, you can get a DEF Refractometer, also know the Edge CTS3 can monitor DEF quality. I use mine to monitor DEF condition and dosing amount. Interestingly, Walmart's cheapest DEF always measures 33 or 33+ percent DEF and Blue DEF frequently measures the minimum 32.5%. I've never tried the Platinum. The truck will alarm if DEF reaches 22%

flan

Reaction score
I watched a video on you tube and yes it looks like diesel fuel contamination to me. It is hard for me to blame vandalism or dealer but yes you are right it got there somehow Thanks
Good luck man, it’s a bad situation, hope it works out well for you. Keep us updated as to where this goes.

Cobalt99

Reaction score
As mentioned above, you can get a DEF Refractometer, also know the Edge CTS3 can monitor DEF quality. I use mine to monitor DEF condition and dosing amount. Interestingly, Walmart's cheapest DEF always measures 33 or 33+ percent DEF and Blue DEF frequently measures the minimum 32.5%. I've never tried the Platinum. The truck will alarm if DEF reaches 22%
Thank you for the info! So should an alarm have gone off in my truck?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Thank you for the info! So should an alarm have gone off in my truck?
I don't know but I would think so. Depending on how much DEF was in the tank it could take a lot of fuel to reduce to 22%. A gal of water reduces 2.5 gals of DEF to 26%. Regardless one would think any fuel would render the DEf as contaminated and throw an alert. Maybe the only sensor is %DEF. Wish I knew more.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it’s only monitoring percent DEF.

DEF needs to be 31.8%-33.2% to meet spec.

One gallon of distilled water in a full DEF tank drops the percentage to ~27%. One gallon into 2.5 gallons of DEF should drop it closer to ~23%, too close to the 22% alarm for me.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I think it’s only monitoring percent DEF.

DEF needs to be 31.8%-33.2% to meet spec.

One gallon of distilled water in a full DEF tank drops the percentage to ~27%. One gallon into 2.5 gallons of DEF should drop it closer to ~23%, too close to the 22% alarm for me.
Correct. is 23.5% and too close to 22%. I've been quoting 26% for a long time as that is what I was told. Never took the time to double check the %. Glad you did, appreciate it.

Cobalt99

Reaction score
I don't know but I would think so. Depending on how much DEF was in the tank it could take a lot of fuel to reduce to 22%. A gal of water reduces 2.5 gals of DEF to 26%. Regardless one would think any fuel would render the DEf as contaminated and throw an alert. Maybe the only sensor is %DEF. Wish I knew more.
thanks

Cobalt99

Reaction score
I would like to thank everyone for their post about my DEF fluid problems. I was at the Ram dealership looking at the new 3500 trucks when a man driving by stopped and asked if I needed any help? It turns out it was the owner of the dealership. I explained that my truck had been in his shop for three weeks trying to get warranty work approved. That evening the service department called me and said the parts were ordered and that truck will be repaired at no charge. I will be buying a refractometer and checking all DEF before it goes into my truck. Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 15

John Jensen

Reaction score
I would like to thank everyone for their post about my DEF fluid problems. I was at the Ram dealership looking at the new 3500 trucks when a man driving by stopped and asked if I needed any help? It turns out it was the owner of the dealership. I explained that my truck had been in his shop for three weeks trying to get warranty work approved. That evening the service department called me and said the parts were ordered and that truck will be repaired at no charge. I will be buying a refractometer and checking all DEF before it goes into my truck. Thanks again!
Hallelujah!

Users who are viewing this thread