Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

def fluid

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
yes, I have seen the same page in my owner's manual. The dealership agrees there is no DEF inspection. This is Stellantis trying to deny my claim and I do believe they will try to get out of any warranty claim they can.

Have them produce a copy of the inspection criteria…

flan

Reaction score
Probably the dealer playing it’s not us, it’s them. It’s really the dealer but they say Stellantis, so they don’t look like the ripoff artists they actually are. Ram corporate isn’t that dumb to put themselves out there like that. (IMHO anyways....)

Cobalt99

Reaction score
Probably the dealer playing it’s not us, it’s them. It’s really the dealer but they say Stellantis, so they don’t look like the ripoff artists they actually are. Ram corporate isn’t that dumb to put themselves out there like that. (IMHO anyways....)
Stellantis is who called me on the phone and said they were denying my warranty claim because there is no record of 7500 mile def inspection.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Stellantis is who called me on the phone and said they were denying my warranty claim because there is no record of 7500 mile def inspection.

You need to ask them for the inspection criteria. You should tell them there the fluid was checked and refilled as necessary, per the maintenance guidelines.

If you never went into limp mode for low fluid you met the criteria in the owners manual.

Did you specifically tell them it wasn’t preformed?

wrvond

Reaction score
I know it's a long shot, but would you happen to be able to post some pics of the jug the last fill came out of?
I've never seen DEF exhibit the characteristics you listed. I've seen it freeze then thaw and be completely useable. I've seen it get "warm" and evaporate, leaving a white crystalline coating behind. But I've not seen it turn any color or smell of anything other than urea.
I feel silly saying it, but the problem isn't always readily apparent. WalMart used to sell it's Super Tech brand DEF and motor oil in identical containers. Is it possible you picked up a jug of something other than DEF in a container that looked similar to the DEF container?

Cobalt99

Reaction score
You need to ask them for the inspection criteria. You should tell them there the fluid was checked and refilled as necessary, per the maintenance guidelines.

If you never went into limp mode for low fluid you met the criteria in the owners manual.

Did you specifically tell them it wasn’t preformed?
I did ask them for the inspection criteria and have not had a reply according to Stellantis the truck was not inspected by a dealer at 7500 miles for the DEF system

Cobalt99

Reaction score
I know it's a long shot, but would you happen to be able to post some pics of the jug the last fill came out of?
I've never seen DEF exhibit the characteristics you listed. I've seen it freeze then thaw and be completely useable. I've seen it get "warm" and evaporate, leaving a white crystalline coating behind. But I've not seen it turn any color or smell of anything other than urea.
I feel silly saying it, but the problem isn't always readily apparent. WalMart used to sell it's Super Tech brand DEF and motor oil in identical containers. Is it possible you picked up a jug of something other than DEF in a container that looked similar to the DEF container?
I am positive it was Blue DEF Platinum This is a pic sent to me by dealer

Attachments

• image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 69

JustARam22

Reaction score
These types of post really bother me, can't stand the dealer. They really need to figure out how to filter diesel passively like a cat. Converter. Def is such a scam....

wrvond

Reaction score
I am positive it was Blue DEF Platinum This is a pic sent to me by dealer
That certainly looks oily to me. I agree with the diesel contamination assessment.
It's not uncommon to contaminate diesel with DEF, but the much smaller filler neck of the DEF tank makes it nearly impossible to inadvertently introduce diesel into the DEF tank. Seems like that would have to be intentional.

These types of post really bother me, can't stand the dealer. They really need to figure out how to filter diesel passively like a cat. Converter. Def is such a scam....

The SCT is closer in function to a catalytic converter than it is to the DEF system. The DEF system by itself works very well and is very economical to use. The only problems I've seen were the result of contamination, allowing a full tank to freeze or (IMO) running with the fluid level too low in the winter.

In the winter I keep my fluid level right around 3/4 full. This provides enough liquid to keep the heater from getting too hot and allows expansion of the fluid inside the tank when it freezes.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve been in cold enough to freeze the tank solid a couple times without any issues in my 22. The truck won’t try the DEF heater until the ambient temperature is above 12°F so the unheated line can thaw.

wrvond

Reaction score
I’ve been in cold enough to freeze the tank solid a couple times without any issues in my 22. The truck won’t try the DEF heater until the ambient temperature is above 12°F so the unheated line can thaw.
True. I'm not saying frozen DEF is a problem, I'm saying a DEF tank that is full doesn't allow enough room for expansion of the ice and can crack. Running the DEF level too low during cold temperatures and the heater is not going to be properly cooled by contact with the liquid, resulting in a shorter life (probably). It's like those heaters for aquariums, turning one on outside the fish tank is no bueno.

I'm not saying a puppy dies every time the level is "too high" or "too low", I'm just saying that in the right conditions damage to the DEF tank/heater/pump assembly can occur. The risk is easily mitigated.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I had thought they designed the tank to handle expansion from freezing if you didn’t overfill it.

wrvond

Reaction score
I had thought they designed the tank to handle expansion from freezing if you didn’t overfill it.
I haven't read anything from Ram specifically stating this, but other sources do say all DEF tanks are designed to accommodate expansion due to freezing. On the other hand, I have known several late model Ford trucks with DEF tanks that cracked due to freezing. It's an assumption on my part the same would hold true for the Ram tanks.

flan

Reaction score
I am the only one who drives the truck and I know for a fact that I have never put diesel in the DEF tank Thanks for all of the input.
I’m sure you didn’t. I have seen a diesel contaminated def tank at work and that is just what it looked like.

wrvond

Reaction score
I am the only one who drives the truck and I know for a fact that I have never put diesel in the DEF tank Thanks for all of the input.
That's not saying somebody else didn't put it in there - vandals, neighbors, disgruntled postal workers...
If it's diesel (most likely) and you didn't put it in there (not likely) then it must be vandalism, which brings us back to what @AH64ID said about insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread