Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

def fluid

Cobalt99

Reaction score
I have a 2022 ram 3500 with 11,000 miles. Went to dealer with check engine light on and I was told I had bad def fluid and repair cost would be $8,000 dollars out of pocket. I believe the def fluid went bad because the truck sits a lot and is only used for towing. Dealer is no help. Anybody have any thoughts on this. Thanks

jebruns

Reaction score
I only have 8k on my 22 CTD, so it sits a lot between uses too. No DEF issues. But it might depend on where you live. High temps, like in the SW USA, can make DEF go bad faster. What DEF fluid were you using?

Cobalt99

Reaction score
the def fluid was blue and I live in NC very warm in the summer

Adam06

Reaction score
Wouldn’t your warranty cover the cost? It is part of the emission system

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 2022 ram 3500 with 11,000 miles. Went to dealer with check engine light on and I was told I had bad def fluid and repair cost would be $8,000 dollars out of pocket. I believe the def fluid went bad because the truck sits a lot and is only used for towing. Dealer is no help. Anybody have any thoughts on this. Thanks

When was the last time you added DEF?

What code is active?

Last edited:

Cobalt99

Reaction score
Dealership says not their fault the def fluid is bad do not want to warranty it....

Cobalt99

Reaction score
Unless ambient temperatures exceeded 96° F consistently, it's unlikely your DEF went bad sitting in the tank of the truck. Below 86° F still allows a 2 year shelf life. I think your dealership is trying to hoodwink you.
I do have a warm summer in NC and I find it hard to believe the dealership. will do nothing for me

Cobalt99

Reaction score
about 6 months ago def was added not sure of the code but they showed me a pick of gummed up def fluid in a container

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably about 6 months ago truck is mostly used for towing a goose neck horse trailer and not used much

That’s likely not too old. Even if it’s not used much 11K miles of mostly towing should have used 3-4 tanks of DEF.

Where did you buy the last DEF? If it was in a box did you look at the date code?

wrvond

Reaction score
about 6 months ago def was added not sure of the code but they showed me a pick of gummed up def fluid in a container

DEF can gel at 12° F, but otherwise it's not going to "gum up". Crystallization is the common issue with DEF that has been exposed to high temperatures. The white crystals that you can find on bulk dispensers are the result of evaporation of the fluid on the outside of the nozzle.

CdnHO

Reaction score
How does the dealer know the DEF is bad? I would demand a sample of the DEF and send it to an independent lab. I think your dealer is WRONG. Worth the effort for 8K

Cobalt99

Reaction score
That’s likely not too old. Even if it’s not used much 11K miles of mostly towing should have used 3-4 tanks of DEF.

Where did you buy the last DEF? If it was in a box did you look at the date code?
def fluid came from northern tool and I did not look at the date This is my first truck with def and was not aware of the date

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Northern Tool should have a high turn over for DEF, no mater the brand, more likely the date was not that old. You’re not the first of that phenomenon, as far as the dealer goes. They are looking for profit where they can find it. I had my 3500 serviced by the dealer over the 30K miles I owned it, the costs are minimal to me for them to change oil on a CTD. So I took my new to me 1500 to the same dealer and they used DuraMax oil and a Carquest oil filter, needless to say I now change my own oil on the Hemi. My point is they are tightening their belts. Demand a sample to see if you don’t have an enemy in your your neighborhood. Buy a locking cap and document your service. I did that because of the dreaded CP4.2 HPFP, in case it failed.
Good luck with your truck.

On edit, I recorded all fuel purchase miles and Def fill ups.

Riddick

Reaction score
Another scum bag dealer trying to take advantage of you. I would request they test a sample in front of you and also request a sample to have tested outside of your dealership.

Do not pay to have this fixed. While you are waiting for your test sample results drain your tank and clean it with distilled water. Remove your DEF injector and clean the nozzle with distilled water too. By flushing the system you might be able to save it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
"windshield wiper fluid can damage the def system and cause the check engine light to come on. It can also affect the performance and emissions of your vehicle. it is important to remove the windshield wiper fluid from the def tank as soon as possible."

Users who are viewing this thread