Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS: Meet The 2023 Ram 2500 Rebel Crew Cab 4×4:

tchur1

Reaction score
Have the actual tow ratings for the Rebel been released?

I don't see many folks dropping their PW's for a rebel, but I could imagine alot more folks opting for a Rebel than a standard trimmed 2500. As I stated before, I'd have loved a 2500 Rebel type model when I bought mine but I doubt it'll be offered in CCLB. I can easily add a winch mount to my cummins, it's the rest of the off-road parts and pieces that're more difficult.
Ya see towing specs here. Top number is with the hemi, bottom with Cummins
Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 10.39.08 AM.png

McHenry2500

Reaction score
I think that's actually quite a bit less than my Tradesman? I guess I didn't expect such a drop.

TroyMcClure

Reaction score
Give me the rear locker and sway bar disconnect options. Everything else gets the Carli treatment. I do understand folks who like to keep it stock.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Well... you can't have massive reliability that comes with a platform that has been dialed in since 2010 and get the feel that it was designed in... more recently than 2010. I like JLs and JTs... don't get me wrong. But I'd take the 4.0 power train over the Jeep 3.6 pentastar any day. In fact I would take it over the new Toyota 3.5 V6 any day as well. On regulations, Toyota went to smaller displacement (loosing low end torque) to comply with fuel economy regulations on the new Tacoma. I expect the next generation 4 runner will loose the 4.0 in favor of the 3.5l engine as well. Maybe that's fine for someone who never leaves pavement. But, for anyone who actually tries to use their SUV off pavement the 3.5 is noticeably harder to control. Expect a continuation of this trend for the foreseeable future. (not to mention electric oil pumps that shut off at idle and other tech "features")
My wife has always had the 4Runner. just traded her 2015 with 196K miles on it for a new Limited. I love the body on frame and reliability it has. we put a level kit and new shoes Falkin Wildpeak 269/17

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I think that's actually quite a bit less than my Tradesman? I guess I didn't expect such a drop.
Lower than my Laramie as well... I wonder if that locking rear axle has a lower rating than the standard axle.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Lower than my Laramie as well... I wonder if that locking rear axle has a lower rating than the standard axle.
I doubt it’s the axle as the gas Rebel has ratings that match the other gas trucks.

MtnRider

Reaction score
I doubt it’s the axle as the gas Rebel has ratings that match the other gas trucks.

But the Diesel puts a lot more torque (2x the hemi) on that axle. Maybe the locker isn't rated to handle that with a max tow load? I can't think of anything else that is different that would lower that rating?

jsalbre

Reaction score
But the Diesel puts a lot more torque (2x the hemi) on that axle. Maybe the locker isn't rated to handle that with a max tow load? I can't think of anything else that is different that would lower that rating?

I'm not sure. We're all of course guessing until we see a production truck in the wild, but it could be the locker, or maybe the Rebel does have slightly softer springs than the "regular" models and the extra weight of the Cummins makes a difference. The CEO mentioned that the springs were unique to Rebel in one of the interviews on YouTube.

Edit: Looking at payload info on the Ram site, the 2500 Limited CCSB with the Cummins has a 1980 lb max payload, so it sounds like the Rebel is right in line with that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Coming from a Gladiator Mojave and seeing how popular that thing is...the Rebel makes me think that Ram is trying to capitalize on that success.
i.e. Rebel is to Mojave as Power Wagon is to Rubicon. PW/Rubi have all the off-road goodies. Rebel/Mojave have only the rear lockers and upgraded suspension.
Just my two cents.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Coming from a Gladiator Mojave and seeing how popular that thing is...the Rebel makes me think that Ram is trying to capitalize on that success.
i.e. Rebel is to Mojave as Power Wagon is to Rubicon. PW/Rubi have all the off-road goodies. Rebel/Mojave have only the rear lockers and upgraded suspension.
Just my two cents.
I think this hits the nail on the head.

Dodge is in it for the money. They're building whatever they think will sell best.

Users who are viewing this thread