Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS: Meet The 2023 Ram 2500 Rebel Crew Cab 4×4:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS: Meet The 2023 Ram 2500 Rebel Crew Cab 4×4:​

Power Wagon Looks, HEMI or Cummins Power, And More Capability...​

1664424195255.png

Ram Trucks has officially pulled back the covers of its new Rebel package for the 2023 Ram 2500 at this year’s State Fair of Texas. The new model expands the brand’s off-road dominance with yet another off-road package for customers.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Seems cool. Was really hoping they would fit a winch in the front bumper, possibly by revamping the position/location/size of the intercooler on the cummins, but looks like that's a no go.

I gotta say, Ram is really blowing the chance to talk about their new HD trucks this year, and I feel like they really missed an opportunity for updates.

GM released their all new HD trucks in 2020, they now have a redesigned facia and interior for 2023.

Ford released their all new aluminum body trucks back in 2017, did a grille and light interior refresh in 2020, and now a fully redesigned interior and exterior for 2023.

I don't think there is a ton to revamp on the interior, but there are obvious changes to be made. Better seats would be nice. Pano moonroof. More interior space. Flat rear floor, etc. I wonder how long till the HD trucks get a proper refresh.

And for the love of god, give us back Olive Green and a midnight package for the longhorn! I would go out tomorrow and place an order for a new truck if I could get a longhorn with olive green paint in midnight.

SCasey

Reaction score
Do we know when Ram is going to transition the Heavy Duty’s to the 5th-gen body? I feel like they just keep kicking the can down the road. And I know the 6-speed auto is tried and true, but when everyone else is offering 10-speeds….seems like Ram is a little behind the times.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Rebel is nothing more then some lipstick on a standard 1500/2500. Meh, I can add shocks and stickers myself for a lot cheaper.

Actually it sounds much like a power wagon except for a stiffer suspension, no front axle disco and no front locker. Seems pretty capable to me and I think it’ll sell a lot better than the PW.

Better competition for Fords Tremor

notamos

Reaction score
Not impressed. No front locker, no 35" tires, no winch w/ the Cummins. What would make it special is if they had made the Power Wagon with a diesel option, rear bags for additional payload/towing help. The Rebel isn't even as good as Ford's Tremor package...

UglyViking

Reaction score
Actually it sounds much like a power wagon except for a stiffer suspension, no front axle disco and no front locker. Seems pretty capable to me and I think it’ll sell a lot better than the PW.

Better competition for Fords Tremor
What makes it like a power wagon exactly? Just the rear electric locker? I'd rather they just offer that as an option across the board.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Rear locker, front winch option w/Hemi, says it’s a more off-road oriented suspension (appears lifted). It looks like a really attractive option for people that want to bridge the gap between a regular truck and the totally off-road PW. I never said it was as good at that stuff as the PW but that it will sell way better because of the appeal to a broader range of people.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if it sells way better. I assume the plan is to get rid of the power wagon package option on the hemi 2500 (not the model, the package you can get on tradesman for example).

I don't think it really offers much, but I guess Ram has deemed it's enough of a niche it's worth it.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Rear locker, front winch option w/Hemi, says it’s a more off-road oriented suspension (appears lifted). It looks like a really attractive option for people that want to bridge the gap between a regular truck and the totally off-road PW. I never said it was as good at that stuff as the PW but that it will sell way better because of the appeal to a broader range of people.

Doesn't look lifted to me (those are 33" tires) and "more off road suspension" is just Bilstein 4600 shocks.

I'm sure it will sell (not a lot) but if this was an attempt to compete with the Tremor they missed the mark. Also starting base price is ~$69k (for a gas engine). Ouch

jetrinka

Reaction score
It says it utilizes the PW structure. Does that mean a variant of the articulink?

UglyViking

Reaction score

Hood "scoop" isn't functional, at least not in the HEMI. Hood is a pretty serious let down for me to be honest. I wanted something with less water intrusion, or at least functional. Fake scoops absolutely kill me.

I'm still making my mind up on the mirrors. I sort of dig them, but not 100% sold yet.

Digital gauge cluster is pretty slick, I'd love to see them in person. If it works anything like the 12" screen, I'll have to pass. Last thing I want is the gauge cluster not working.

I dig how the rear trailgate doesn't have the ram emblem, hopefully those RAM letters are stuck on, so you could take them off.

I don't know why they keep saying it's based off the power wagon structure. The PW frame is the same as any 2500. The difference between the PW and the standard 2500 is just shocks, springs, and a few components.

MtnRider

Reaction score
There is a picture of the front suspension here: https://www.ramtrucks.com/2023/ram-2500/rebel.html and it looks like the Articulink.

I think they just (wrongly) used a stock image of the PW for that pic because it has the same color shocks (web designers don't know the difference). If you look at this screen shot of the actual truck you can see it's a standard radius arm..

And if they were using the Articulink they surely would have mentioned it as a selling point.

arm.jpg

Last edited:

tchur1

Reaction score
Doesn't look lifted to me (those are 33" tires) and "more off road suspension" is just Bilstein 4600 shocks.

I'm sure it will sell (not a lot) but if this was an attempt to compete with the Tremor they missed the mark. Also starting base price is ~$69k (for a gas engine). Ouch

Genuine question - what were you hoping to see that would put it above the Tremor?

jenninr

Reaction score
I think they just (wrongly) used a stock image of the PW for that pic because it has the same color shocks (web designers don't know the difference). If you look at this screen shot of the actual truck you can see it's a standard radius arm..

And if they were using the Articulink they surely would have mentioned it as a selling point.

View attachment 44929
I haven't seen that video but it looks like they got into the details, which I like. That's just like Ram to put out an inaccurate picture. I was hoping for the Articulink but didn't expect it. Do you have a link to that video?

Users who are viewing this thread