Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS: Meet The 2023 Ram 2500 Rebel Crew Cab 4×4:

Riddick

Reaction score
While I do like the looks of this I think RAM is late to the party, this should have been released a couple of years ago. We will see how this compares to the all new 23 Tremor but in my opinion this Rebel still comes in behind the 22 Tremor. What's up with the pricing on these and RAM in general, prices seem to have skyrocketed, curious to see what Ford and GM prices do? Id say the average price has gone up 10k since the 22 models went on sale and the only upgrades are a 12 instrument cluster and new tow mirrors..... cant forget the non functional sport hood :).

Anyone else think RAM is falling behind GM and Ford. Ford and GM are releasing all new models and Ram continues to add cosmetic upgrades to existing models. To be fair I guess we have to wait for 24 to see what Ram does since this is when GM releases their new HD. However, Ram better bring over the 5th gen cab with some upgrades and add power as well to stay competitive. For 23 MY the Ford seems like the clear winner on looks and paper but we will see how it performs in the real world.

tuckjack

Reaction score
I haven't seen that video but it looks like they got into the details, which I like. That's just like Ram to put out an inaccurate picture. I was hoping for the Articulink but didn't expect it. Do you have a link to that video?
Yeah, the photo of the trailer control knob also shows the old style UConnect icons.

kevin588127

Reaction score
The rebel is just what I'd hoped it would be, so I'm kinda bummed. The only thing that makes me feel better is that the rebel is likely priced well above where I wanted to be.

tchur1

Reaction score
While I do like the looks of this I think RAM is late to the party, this should have been released a couple of years ago. We will see how this compares to the all new 23 Tremor but in my opinion this Rebel still comes in behind the 22 Tremor. What's up with the pricing on these and RAM in general, prices seem to have skyrocketed, curious to see what Ford and GM prices do? Id say the average price has gone up 10k since the 22 models went on sale and the only upgrades are a 12 instrument cluster and new tow mirrors..... cant forget the non functional sport hood :).

Anyone else think RAM is falling behind GM and Ford. Ford and GM are releasing all new models and Ram continues to add cosmetic upgrades to existing models. To be fair I guess we have to wait for 24 to see what Ram does since this is when GM releases their new HD. However, Ram better bring over the 5th gen cab with some upgrades and add power as well to stay competitive. For 23 MY the Ford seems like the clear winner on looks and paper but we will see how it performs in the real world.
I agree that Ram needs to make some move now that this 4.5 gen platform has been around for 4+ years at this point. I dont think the crazy price increases are unique to Ram though. My brother just ordered a new truck and a King Ranch Tremor MSPR was more than my 22 3500 Limited HO. We're going to be a in a spot where these trucks are $100k+ moving forward, regardless of brand.

Ill hold comment on Ram falling all the way behind Ford until they release the new models in a couple weeks, but even if power numbers stay the same, the HO will still be well ahead of the new Duramax. Everything else has evened out quite a bit and Ram no longer runs circles around the other two when it comes to interior. Hopefully they have a surprise up their sleeve for the new lineup but im not holding my breath.

Xflight29

Reaction score
I wish auto makers would think differently at least occasionally.
The very best vehicles that have been produced the most usable, have always been replaced in the interest of... what? Higher sales? current trends? and then they produce some kind of crap to replace the model that everyone loved.

I understand automakers use the model year to distinguish new vehicles sporting the latest updates in technology, styling. creature comfort and options. I honestly can't imagine what else they could through at it as my Longhorn has every option imagined.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I don’t understand the hate - it’s truly gonna be a sweet truck. Power wagon guys are mad cause it’s not a power wagon. Diesel guys are mad cause it doesn’t have enough PW toys with the diesel. I think its sweet

The only thing I don’t like is some aesthetic things

Last edited:

Redfour5

Reaction score

DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS: Meet The 2023 Ram 2500 Rebel Crew Cab 4×4:​

Power Wagon Looks, HEMI or Cummins Power, And More Capability...​

View attachment 44898

Ram Trucks has officially pulled back the covers of its new Rebel package for the 2023 Ram 2500 at this year’s State Fair of Texas. The new model expands the brand’s off-road dominance with yet another off-road package for customers.

Here's a video on this with the CEO in Texas.
Interesting... No dial a real column shift? On the 6.4? Not sure. And I'm still trying to figure out the real "locker" thing. It says "electronic" locker. I notice in the vid that it has a separate switch for the rear "locker" (with anti-slip differential) like a Power Wagon, but what is the difference between that and the one I have on my 4WD package? Just a switch? They didn't address any "height" issue like more inches??? I do like the Ram Boxes but know that is a "preference" some don't like and would never buy. They do appear to have a slightly different set of wheel accessories. The cruise control buttons are not like the old ones that have been there since like 2014... But it does appear the gear switches (up down) are still there... Not sure what is just to the left of cruise buttons. I would have thought they would have put a winch on this though. We all know there is plenty of room down there in front seems like a no brainer. I mean they took the locking front end off and that is the sharpest distinction between a "real" power wagon vs this... At least give us a winch...come on...

But, all in all, I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference between this and a 4WD package on previous year models and some visual stuff like the hood and Rebel front end... Oh, and the new mirrors... Wish they had talked about them and shown them work...

jsalbre

Reaction score
Here's a video on this with the CEO in Texas.
Interesting... No dial a real column shift? On the 6.4? Not sure. And I'm still trying to figure out the real "locker" thing. It says "electronic" locker. I notice in the vid that it has a separate switch for the rear "locker" (with anti-slip differential) like a Power Wagon, but what is the difference between that and the one I have on my 4WD package? Just a switch? They didn't address any "height" issue like more inches??? I do like the Ram Boxes but know that is a "preference" some don't like and would never buy. They do appear to have a slightly different set of wheel accessories. The cruise control buttons are not like the old ones that have been there since like 2014... But it does appear the gear switches (up down) are still there... Not sure what is just to the left of cruise buttons. I would have thought they would have put a winch on this though. We all know there is plenty of room down there in front seems like a no brainer. I mean they took the locking front end off and that is the sharpest distinction between a "real" power wagon vs this... At least give us a winch...come on...

But, all in all, I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference between this and a 4WD package on previous year models and some visual stuff like the hood and Rebel front end... Oh, and the new mirrors... Wish they had talked about them and shown them work...
The column shift is on the Cummins, not the hemi.

The rear locker is the exact same that’s on the power wagon. It’s a helical limited slip with an electromagnet activated clutch that locks it when you push the switch.

The steering wheel has finally been updated and is using the switches that the 1500s, Jeeps, and other vehicles have been using for a number of years. The switches next to the cruise control are the distance setting for the adaptive cruise.

The Hemi has an optional winch, the Cummins does not as there is an intercooler there.

Last edited:

UglyViking

Reaction score
Not related to the Rebel, but on the topic of updating buttons. Ram really needs to add physical buttons for seat heater/vents and steering wheel heater. I absolutely despise the fact that I've got to use the screen to turn the seat heaters on/off. Same goes for the steering wheel. Ford realized their mistake and at least brought a physical button for the heated steering wheel.

I don't understand how every truck manufacture can place huge screens in their trucks, and somehow still place physical buttons, and Ram can not. Slap the heated steering wheel button onto the steering wheel (where it arguably should have been to begin with), and give me 2 buttons on each side for heated/vented seats. There looks to be room at the top of the screen bezel, and if not extend the buttons a little further up on each side of the screen.

This, along with the buggy screen, are the two things that prevented me from buying the 12" screen. I was really surprised when the UC5 didn't address this.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Agreed. It seems as if Ram is increasing cost much faster than competitors as well.

If I option out 2 close to identical mid tier trucks (Laramie and Lariat), then the Ram comes out 4k more and that's without the ram getting the larger screen. Now, I don't know what sort of dealer discounts can be had between the two, but it seems that the pandemic has caused Ram and Ford to edge closer in discounts, nor further apart.

Honestly, at this point I think the only three areas that Ram beats out Ford:
  1. Cummins (I think this is why 90% of the diesel buyers choose to buy a Ram, they are actually choosing to buy a Cummins)
  2. Looks (this is purely subjective. I prefer the look of the Ram slightly to the look of the Ford, but I dig both)
  3. Interior on Ram is slightly better than the current Ford (I think that edges close to being even with the 2023, although I still slightly prefer the Ram)
Ford has the Ram on:
  1. Interior space/cab size
  2. Pano moonroof
  3. Massaging seats (if that's your jam)
  4. Arguably seat comfort (looks like that will be even more standout in 2023)
  5. Fully flat rear seats area
  6. Made in America

areuriding

Reaction score
I almost ordered a 2023 Rebel. Changed my mind at the last minute. I compared them all, Tremor, PW, Trail Boss, just to name a few. When I say I compared them all I literally mean that. I spent weeks looking and reading everything I could get my eyes on. I could afford anything I wanted so price was not a factor, function was. After contemplating and comparing, then thinking about what I wanted functionally I chose the 2023 PW with every option but sunroof. It isn't perfect but none of them are, however the few minor things it should have I can add myself and have already started gathering and ordering aftermarket stuff I want. In the end I'm quite certain I will have the total package not only in looks but also function (Towing and Payload were not a factor). I'm quite excited to be back in a truck after a few years without. My order was placed 9/25/22 and I'm expecting a 6 month wait.

Redfour5

Reaction score
The column shift is on the Cummins, not the hemi.

The rear locker is the exact same that son the power wagon. It’s a helical limited slip with an electromagnet activated clutch that locks it when you push the switch.

The steering wheel has finally been updated and is using the switches that the 1500s, Jeeps, and other vehicles have been using for a number of years. The switches next to the cruise control are the distance setting for the adaptive cruise.

The Hemi has an optional winch, the Cummins does not as there is an intercooler there.

Great information, you obviously have better sources than I. AND, the winch ups the game in my eyes. And even thought it doesn't have the front locker etc of the "real" power wagon, it does have the "real" real locker for the rear axle. The CEO should have addressed these things as asides when he spoke.

CJTEX

Just came here to flex
Reaction score
Digital gage sucks and diesel but no winch is lame. They did the shifter stalk because of the 6 speed... behind on transmissions still

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I think I agree with lots of other folks here. The only feature that I truly wish I had was the new rear diff with the limited slip and selectable locker. I don't like digital dash boards, I prefer physical buttons to big screens, can install my own shocks and like the regular grill over the PW version.

I will say that I think the 6 speed is a plus over the 10-speed... my opinion... And, as a Toyota owner, I find it interesting to see comments that a 4 years is too long between updates. My Toyota mentality says "wait 10 years between major updates and make sure everything works before you release it". I

MtnRider

Reaction score
I do really wish I had a rear locker though...

The locker needs to be an option on any trim. That is one of the items I could really use but not going to pay a Rebel badging premium to have it. But who am I kidding, with these current truck prices I just can't justify it and won't be getting a new one any time in the foreseeable future.

Users who are viewing this thread