Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins caught emissions cheating - fined 1.67 billion mega thread.

wyvern

Reaction score
No thats completely different…. There is no recall for 2020-2023 the 2019s were already done. The ONLY trucks receiving a recall is the 2013-2018 trucks
I'm aware that the 67A recall does not include 2020+ trucks, in fact I don't think that recall will be the fix for the "defeat" software/devices from my own research, as it was available to some even before this unfortunate news was announced.

I was referring to whether or not 2020+ trucks are affected by the EPA's claims, as some claim they are not. From the government resource itself: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/stat...nd-agreement-principle-cummins-settle-alleged

"The company [Cummins] also allegedly installed undisclosed auxiliary emission control devices on 330,000 model year 2019 to 2023 RAM 2500 and 3500 pickup truck engines."

So which is it? Will there be a designated recall to fix whatever the EPA has deemed is wrong with the 2019+ trucks? Have any members heard anything definitive from FCA on this?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm aware that the 67A recall does not include 2020+ trucks, in fact I don't think that recall will be the fix for the "defeat" software/devices from my own research, as it was available to some even before this unfortunate news was announced.

I was referring to whether or not 2020+ trucks are affected by the EPA's claims, as some claim they are not. From the government resource itself: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/stat...nd-agreement-principle-cummins-settle-alleged

"The company [Cummins] also allegedly installed undisclosed auxiliary emission control devices on 330,000 model year 2019 to 2023 RAM 2500 and 3500 pickup truck engines."

So which is it? Will there be a designated recall to fix whatever the EPA has deemed is wrong with the 2019+ trucks? Have any members heard anything definitive from FCA on this?
The 19s were “fixed” with the VB6 recall. no the 2020+ were not affected. Yes the 67A is the approved “fix” for the lawsuit

flan

Reaction score
Does anyone have any concrete information as to whether this affects 2013-2023 model trucks? TFL made it seem like it was pretty much every Cummins-powered pickup sold from 2013 to present, however I'm seeing conflicting information. I still haven't actually purchased a 3500 and still really want to, but this entire debacle is once again giving me pause. Thinking of sticking it out with my 3.0 lz0 1500 a bit longer.

source:
Wow check out the clickbait graphics, Hemi badges and all. :rolleyes:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No, that recall is not related. Some late build 21’s and most, if not all, 22’s are missing a sensor that was first used in 2019. The 13-18’s didn’t have it, and I have seen nothing about adding it.

I had the recall done in September and the PCM was reprogrammed (has to be in order to utilize the sensor) and a mod sticker was placed on my hood.

7K miles on the new sensor, zero changes to how the truck operates.
To my understanding the only use for that sensor is to detect if the DPF has cracked/ failed. I would not expect it to affect the performance or functionality really

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
To my understanding the only use for that sensor is to detect if the DPF has cracked/ failed. I would not expect it to affect the performance or functionality really

That’s my understanding as well, but there are no shortage of people claiming that missing sensor is why the 22’s burn so much DEF and the Y43 would fix that…

wyvern

Reaction score
The 19s were “fixed” with the VB6 recall. no the 2020+ were not affected. Yes the 67A is the approved “fix” for the lawsuit
It would seem the Justice Department would disagree with you, despite your dismissiveness.

wyvern

Reaction score
Wow check out the clickbait graphics, Hemi badges and all. :rolleyes:
ah yes, the strawman fallacy.

The content itself seems to be fine, they’re trying to ascertain what Cummins did just like the rest of us, and they’re owners themselves.

Najetset

Reaction score
Had my 67A recall work completed yesterday.

So far no noticeable change in performance (for the couple of KM's I drove it back home at least)

Adam06

Reaction score
That’s my understanding as well, but there are no shortage of people claiming that missing sensor is why the 22’s burn so much DEF and the Y43 would fix that…
Yes mine is missing, it’s in for k1 snap ring and pm sensor hopefully will get it back by the end of the week. My truck gets less than 400 miles on a gallon of def my father in-law f250 gets around 1000 per gallon. But it’s a 2014

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It would seem the Justice Department would disagree with you, despite your dismissiveness.
ah right the government has never made false statements before to try and make themselves look better… this lawsuit has been ongoing since mid 2019 Cummins also change their calibrations for the 20+ and the 19 VB6 was basically a copy of the 2020+ calibrations

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Makes me think seriously about selling my 2022
I've considered selling my 2020 and replacing with a pre 2013, 2500 or 3500, diesel. But I am behind the times as others have already started that and those trucks are now $20k needing work.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Cummins admits no wrong doing. THe DOJ is a weaponized arm of the GREEN NEW DEAL. This is speculation but I have seen enough in the news to know that they can push around anyone. They can manipulate data and statutes to screw anyone to get what they want. Cummins may have been wrong but I bet they were rite on the line and fighting the feds in the wrong juristiction and you cant win being rite. Settle.

What does the grid heaters and dipstick recall have to do with the green new deal????? Another tin foil hat conspiracy. Sometimes I’m so amazed at the time I served this country for some people to have the right to their stupid conspiracy theories
I have been telling folks for 30+ years that the laws passed will only restrict individuals, and grant more power to the government and corporations. Now we are seeing the government turn against freedom and embracing more "protections for their own good".
-
I love the US Constitution. The US government, at all levels, have over stepped their bounds.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I've considered selling my 2020 and replacing with a pre 2013, 2500 or 3500, diesel. But I am behind the times as others have already started that and those trucks are now $20k needing work.
A good friend of mine just told me he was pricing a new truck and the dealer offered him $20k for his '98 3500 dually. It's a nice truck but not new, not sure how many miles.

Knowing that guy, he had the out the door price before he ever mentioned a trade in so he would get the real trade value.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
A good friend of mine just told me he was pricing a new truck and the dealer offered him $20k for his '98 3500 dually. It's a nice truck but not new, not sure how many miles.

Knowing that guy, he had the out the door price before he ever mentioned a trade in so he would get the real trade value.

I'd need at least that for my 99. :)

At 20k, I'd still have to think hard about it.

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
New press releases by Department of Justice (DIJ) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today, January 10, 2024.

Cummins will recall some (600,000 or so) model year 2013-2019 Ram 2500 and 3500 trucks. The recalls will be through Ram dealers.

2013-2015 trucks with two-sensor SCR controllers are recalled. Single sensor engines are not recalled.

ALL 2016-2018 trucks are recalled

2019 trucks produced on or before Oct 1, 2019 are recalled. Trucks produced after Oct. 1, 2019 are not recalled.

2020-2023 trucks are not subject to the recall.

Cummins will also try to offset excessive emissions by reducing diesel train emissions.

DOJ: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/unit...el-engine-manufacturer-cummins-inc-agrees-pay

EPA:
https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/2024-cummins-inc-vehicle-emission-control-violations-settlement

Recall Program details: https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/epas-cummins-engine-emission-system-controls-recall-program

FAQs: https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/fre...olation-clean-air-act-vehicle-emission-system

Settlement Documents:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread