Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins caught emissions cheating - fined 1.67 billion mega thread.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt there's a current recall issued relative to the recent Cummins violation. Cummins hasn't had time enough to develop and get EPA approval.

The press release says the 2019’s have already been recalled, so this is something that’s been going on behind the curtains for a while. The 13-18 recall that just hit is most likely tied to this.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Not sure - there isn't one when I search my VIN, however - https://investor.cummins.com/news/d...s-agreement-in-principle-to-settle-regulatory

From midway down the press release: "Cummins disclosed a review of these matters when it began in 2019 and has regularly updated its disclosures as that review progressed. The company has already recalled model year 2019 RAM 2500 and 3500 trucks and has initiated a recall of model years 2013 through 2018 RAM 2500 and 3500 trucks and previously accrued a total of $59 million for the estimated costs for executing these and other related recalls."

The "violation" isn't new. The settlement is.
Yes, I read that and found it confusing in that it talks about ongoing recalls but doesn't relate any to the violation. Great lawyerese

DougB

Reaction score
Yes, when I suggested that 67A looked like it was related to the violation I was corrected that it was not.
So it’s just a coincidence?? :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like EPA being “nice” and letting Cummins release recall quickly after the public flogging to save some face.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, when I suggested that 67A looked like it was related to the violation I was corrected that it was not.

You are the first person I’ve seen state it’s not related, where were you corrected?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
post #203

I don’t take that post as a correction, but rather a verification.

The 2019’s have already been recalled, per the press release, so that would likely be VB6. So if A67 is as extension of VB6 it would be the recall for this issue.

Just my interpretation, right or wrong.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not coincidental that 13-18 owners have all started receiving mail or online notices for 67A.

ETA: I have little doubt the timing of the public announcement and recall notices were all planned...

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
I don’t take that post as a correction, but rather a verification.

The 2019’s have already been recalled, per the press release, so that would likely be VB6. So if A67 is as extension of VB6 it would be the recall for this issue.

Just my interpretation, right or wrong.
Your interpretation may be right as the violation review implies the same. But, as I said earlier, the review does not specifically say those recalls are directly related to the violation. Posts #219 and #224 clarify it with some sense and likewise agree with you.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Your interpretation may be right as the violation review implies the same. But, as I said earlier, the review does not specifically say those recalls are directly related to the violation. Posts #219 and #224 clarify it with some sense and likewise agree with you.

I doubt the recall notice will mention the violation, but stranger things have happened.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I doubt the recall notice will mention the violation, but stranger things have happened.
Yep! Cummins is smart, they saw what happened to Ram with their Ecodiesel V08 AEM recall that specifically referenced the violation

DougB

Reaction score
post #203
Sorry, I was not trying to correct you. Was merely commenting that 67A appears to be the same recall (aka extension) of the 2019 recall VB6 which I think many believe addressed the alleged defeat device in the 2019 MY. The press statement states the 2019 was already recalled and the 2013-2018 MYs were to be recalled. Hence, the 67A recall coming out now.

UglyViking

Reaction score
It would appear that Cummins simply views CARB and the EPA as hands they must grease in order to continue doing business.

The other thing that is crazy to me, is the fact that both the EPA and CARB have continued to drag out all these charts and numbers about how their policies have reduced emissions by extreme levels, yet all these companies are allegedly cheating? If every diesel model is cheating, and the emissions have still exceeded goals, then why do we care at this point? It's gotta be just about power and control at this point, because the laws put in place to meet a goal seem to have been met.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
It would appear that Cummins simply views CARB and the EPA as hands they must grease in order to continue doing business.

The other thing that is crazy to me, is the fact that both the EPA and CARB have continued to drag out all these charts and numbers about how their policies have reduced emissions by extreme levels, yet all these companies are allegedly cheating? If every diesel model is cheating, and the emissions have still exceeded goals, then why do we care at this point? It's gotta be just about power and control at this point, because the laws put in place to meet a goal seem to have been met.
I don’t think the goals will ever be met until they kill the diesel vehicles completely. I think they are just trying to get the 13-18’s up to the new standards for emissions since it changes every few minutes here lately. And it’s only going to get worse. Can’t discuss all of the BS going on without bringing up politics.

Riccochet

Reaction score

100% is all about pocket greasing. Pay up one way or another.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
It's gotta be just about power and control at this point, because the laws put in place to meet a goal seem to have been met.
Precisely. It's not about the environment anymore, if it ever was. We've already cut diesel emissions many fold. It's all about power, agenda and justifying their existence at this point.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Ya I think this debacle can be explained in three little letters …TAX… In Canada we pay carbon tax on top of carbon tax. The governments are squeezing the juice out of the consumer and are scheming new ways to screw corporations. Which in turn comes back on the consumer. Until the pitch forks come out the Monster will run the village. :mad:

CdnHO

Reaction score
Ya I think this debacle can be explained in three little letters …TAX… In Canada we pay carbon tax on top of carbon tax. The governments are squeezing the juice out of the consumer and are scheming new ways to screw corporations. Which in turn comes back on the consumer. Until the pitch forks come out the Monster will run the village. :mad:
Not to mention the exhorbinant sales and income taxes we pay on top of the carbon tax.

OLEJOE

Reaction score

They keep changing the goals and the rules so they have to pay. It’ll probably be something else in a month or so.

Users who are viewing this thread