Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crusty's 75th Annv PW #1590 build/mods adventure

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Shouldn't be hard to figure out what company is running that job site.

They can foot the bill.
Yea, I talked to my insurance adjuster about that. Seems it's harder than one thinks to get them to pay up.
My deducatable is only $250, so not bad. And it doesn't go against my insurance or raise my cost

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Just did a 1K mile road trip in the truck to visit family for Turkey day. Truck ran great with no issues.
However, I did notice the mile markers on the side of the road and the white line to delineate the marking point.
So i started watching them and my odometer.
Seems I'm almost 1/10 of a mile off.
So i went and remeasured my rolling distance, this time on the rear tire instead of the front.
Came up with 2680 mm. I had programmed in 2727mm. So i changed it to the new number. I'll know tomorrow when i go by the speed sign if I'm closer. It's been showing the truck MPH about 2 high.
I calculated out the dia from that circumfrence and came up with 33.06 inches. Measured the tire and it's pretty close to that.
So much for 35" tires.
I'm running 40 PSI in the rear tires now.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Went back on the ramp today and left the sway bar connected.
Didnt make it as far before the right rear tire came off the ground. Got maybe to 22 inches, if that. I could have gone farther with the swaybar disconnected, but there was a pole in the way preventing me from going farther.
20211202_124643.jpg20211202_124650.jpg20211202_124709.jpg

purebred

Reaction score
Crusty, new guy here and I have to comment on your rear seat modification to fold down back. It took me exactly 1 hour on my 2019 Tradesman bench seat to do your modification. The hardest thing to do is get the four bolts out. If you cut the hold down brackets on back of seat like you say and round the cut off brackets then the seat slides right in perfectly. Easiest fix i have done so far. I don't understand how others have a problem with this mod and add washers and spacers and such. Again thanks for the precise instructions and excellent pictures you posted. Made the job easy as mud;)

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Well, I almost died yesterday. TWICE!

Was driving home after being at the MINT 400 in Vegas.
Driving down the road about 65 when I see a truck and empty boat trailer doing the trailer shuffle in the on coming traffic. Next thing I see is the trailer is free and making a bee line straight at me like an arrow. :eek:
Some how I avoided getting T boned by the trailer. Next thing I see is a big block of wood flying thru the air, straight at my head. :eek: :eek: Did some shuffling and got lucky again, somewhat, as the wood hit the drivers front tire and cut it like a Ninja Throwing Star.
BIG blowout of the front tire, which made my truck start heading into on coming traffic. Lucky I got control of it and was able to stop in the center median. DAMN.

Shook it off a little and gathered my senses and figured I need to get out of the road and to the side so I could asses damage and possibly change a tire. Luck would have it there was a big spot on the other side of the road to do such a tire change. Problem was getting there. :rolleyes: :oops:

Got a little break in traffic and went for it. Made it safely there.
Assed the damage and looks like I just needed to put on the spare. Tire is done. Rim is beat up and the valve stem area is broken.

Lucky for me, guy pulls up and ask if I needed help. He didnt see the accident, just my flat tire. Wound up he too pits for a off road team, same as me, so we shared a common bond.
Got the tire changed and back on the road home.
I did find the guy who lost the trailer and got his info. He had no idea that i had gotten hit.
Need a new tire, rim, alingment checked, and a clean pair of underwear. :rolleyes: ;)

20220313_115631.jpg20220313_115636.jpg20220313_121527.jpg20220313_121527.jpg20220313_133011.jpg

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score

Driving down the road about 65 when I see a truck and empty boat trailer doing the trailer shuffle in the on coming traffic. Next thing I see is the trailer is free and making a bee line straight at me like an arrow. :eek:
Some how I avoided getting T boned by the trailer. Next thing I see is a big block of wood flying thru the air, straight at my head. :eek: :eek: Did some shuffling and got lucky again, somewhat, as the wood hit the drivers front tire and cut it like a Ninja Throwing Star.
BIG blowout of the front tire, which made my truck start heading into on coming traffic. Lucky I got control of it and was able to stop in the center median. DAMN.

Shook it off a little and gathered my senses and figured I need to get out of the road and to the side so I could asses damage and possibly change a tire. Luck would have it there was a big spot on the other side of the road to do such a tire change. Problem was getting there. :rolleyes: :oops:

Assed the damage and looks like I just needed to put on the spare. Tire is done. Rim is beat up and the valve stem area is broken.

Lucky for me, guy pulls up and ask if I needed help. He didnt see the accident, just my flat tire. Wound up he too pits for a off road team, same as me, so we shared a common bond.
I did find the guy who lost the trailer and got his info. He had no idea that i had gotten hit.
Need a new tire, rim, alingment checked, and a clean pair of underwear. :rolleyes: ;)

View attachment 33838View attachment 33839View attachment 33840View attachment 33841View attachment 33842
Glad you didn’t die

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

If you didn't have a front sway bar you would most certainly have died.

j/k, glad you're OK.

Power247

Reaction score

View attachment 33838View attachment 33839View attachment 33840View attachment 33841View attachment 33842
Crazy man! Glad you made it out with just tire & wheel damage.

Greg
2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

So my insurance is being a pill. AAA.
Called his insurance, Hartford, and got the ball rolling.
Called my selling dealership to see about a new rim. $1120. Said Detroit is out but there are 100 of them in route.
Wife said maybe its time to see about getting the new rims I've been talking about.
Talked with my contact at Vision wheels this weekend while at the Mint 400 race and he said they have some in bronze that will fit my truck. Looked on their website yesterday and didn't see any. So I'll be contacting him and see what we can come up with.
Maybe a Mannix like is on the race truck, but in bronze and machined to fit mine.
Just need to know the dimensions of the bead lock Power wagon wheels as I don't want to go a plus size and have them stick out.

Users who are viewing this thread