Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crusty's 75th Annv PW #1590 build/mods adventure

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I believe it is a '17 if memory serves me right.

1200. That's a good number. Should be fun.

I drove his '17 Camaro on the Hot Rod Power tour with 750 at the rear wheels and that thing was a beast. Can't imagine 1200 or more. But would like to try it one day. :)

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
It seems like your primary consideration is looks so I am not able to help you there.

On the other hand, if you are even remotely concerned with how your vehicle handles while turning and under braking then your primary consideration should be slightly negative scrub radius. Or you could just purchase the only rims ever designed specifically for a lifted ram with larger tires. No...not Thuren...not Carli :D

American Expedition Vehicles ;)
1. My truck is not lifted.
2. I have no plans of lifting my truck.
3. My tires are maybe 2 inches taller at the most over the stock tires.
4. I'm trying to keep the wheels as close to stock size as possible. I don't like the wheels/tires sticking out.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I do have a question that maybe some of you smart people can answer for me.

Stock rim has a center bore of 120.9 mm and is hub centric.

The Vision wheel has a center bore of 125.2 mm so I assume would not be hub centric.

Is this going to be an issue?

flan

Reaction score
Most aftermarket rims aren’t hub centric, lug centric instead. I take a couple extra minutes getting the lug nuts tightened to make sure the studs are centered in the bore before starting to tighten.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I do have a question that maybe some of you smart people can answer for me.

Stock rim has a center bore of 120.9 mm and is hub centric.

The Vision wheel has a center bore of 125.2 mm so I assume would not be hub centric.

Is this going to be an issue?

I would get a set of hubcentric rings, ask Vision if they offer them for your truck. Amazon is also on option.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
The KMC rims I have on the wife's truck came with Hub centric rings. They are a pain in the butt to get on the hub and get the wheel on. Doesn't help that it has 37" tires. :rolleyes:

Talked to my buddy at Vision. Wheels are in stock fairly local. Shipping may be a issue, but I can drive the 100 miles down there and pick them up if need be. ;) gave me a hell of a deal on them. :cool:

Wheels are lug centric. And we are talking a 5mm difference. That's .197 inches, just over 1/8 of an inch/ So about a 1/16" thick ring. Don't think they make one that thin.

I'll take my time as I tighten up the lug nuts. Think I will be fine.

And rims are only 31 lbs, so less than the OEM rims.

jadmt

Reaction score
Hub centric used to be a big selling point that AEV preached then one day I was mounting up my new AEV Pintlers on my jeep and noticed they were no longer hub centric. I contacted AEV and they were not aware that they were no longer hub centric and were not sure when they stopped being hub centric. Lo and behold AEV then they stopped advertising the virtues of hub centric wheels and said that it was really not that important. This was around 2014 or so. 31lbs is light. Stock non 75th a wheels is around 29lbs and my AEV saltas are 33 lbs. I like how tucked in the AEV wheels are tires do not stick out.
DF11B3DB-5772-4AD1-9842-03E8653AA064.jpeg

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
AEV does not make any bronze wheels that I could find.

Mine may move out 1 inch over what they are now with the OEM beadlocks.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The KMC rims I have on the wife's truck came with Hub centric rings. They are a pain in the butt to get on the hub and get the wheel on. Doesn't help that it has 37" tires. :rolleyes:

Talked to my buddy at Vision. Wheels are in stock fairly local. Shipping may be a issue, but I can drive the 100 miles down there and pick them up if need be. ;) gave me a hell of a deal on them. :cool:

Wheels are lug centric. And we are talking a 5mm difference. That's .197 inches, just over 1/8 of an inch/ So about a 1/16" thick ring. Don't think they make one that thin.

I'll take my time as I tighten up the lug nuts. Think I will be fine.

And rims are only 31 lbs, so less than the OEM rims.

Not that it matters for you at this point, but they do make 121mm to 125mm hubcentric rings that fit the RAM hubs.

Users who are viewing this thread