Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crusty's 75th Annv PW #1590 build/mods adventure

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
OK, this is confusing. Visions website shows the following for the rims I'm looking at. Just need to figure out which ones I want.

This is for a PW with a 3" lift

Part number size bolts finish offset back spacing weight
354-7970BZBL12 17X9 8X170 Bronze 12 5.5 inches 31

For a PW with no lift, they do not show this rim.

But the specs on the rim they do show is 25mm offset and 5.5 inch back spacing on a 17X8 rim.

On a 17X9 they show a 18 on 5.7 BS or a -10 on a 4.6 BS.

Anyone got any clues?

Ok digging deeper.

Stock is 17X8 with 5.8" backspacing.

17X9 I'd want a 6.3" back spacing to keep the tire/wheel in the same spot. But that would add an extra 1/2" to the inside. Will have to see if that will clear.
Otherwise I can go with a 17X9 and 5.5 backspacing which will move the wheel/tire out almost an inch.
Or if I can find the 5.7 BS on the wheel I want, that would tuck it in a little more.

I'm not a fan of having the wheels sticking out from under the fenders.

Last edited:

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Have you looked at any of the CJC exclusive offerings? Or are you set on Vision wheels?

I bring them up because they are specifically spec'd to fit a 37 but keep it in line with the fender flare.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I'll look.

Vision wheels sponsors our race truck. So I can get a killer deal on them from the manufacture. ;)

Talking with Carli and Thuren, They recommend going with less back spacing to move the wheel out a bit when going with 37's. So it may be OK. But I don't plan on running 37's.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So in doing all my research, I've come to the following conclusions.

the only size they make for my truck in the rim I want is this.

17x9
8 on 170mm bolt pattern.
5.5 inch back spacing.

So running the numbers and comparing them to the stock rims, the rim will stick out almost 1 inch more than what I currently have.

I hate the look of tires sticking out from under the truck, but if I want to change rims, looks like I have no choice. At least it's only 1 inch.

All the other rims I looked at that I like will stick out even more.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
It seems like your primary consideration is looks so I am not able to help you there.

On the other hand, if you are even remotely concerned with how your vehicle handles while turning and under braking then your primary consideration should be slightly negative scrub radius. Or you could just purchase the only rims ever designed specifically for a lifted ram with larger tires. No...not Thuren...not Carli :D

American Expedition Vehicles ;)

AEV hire a new marketing clerk?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
It seems like your primary consideration is looks so I am not able to help you there.

On the other hand, if you are even remotely concerned with how your vehicle handles while turning and under braking then your primary consideration should be slightly negative scrub radius. Or you could just purchase the only rims ever designed specifically for a lifted ram with larger tires. No...not Thuren...not Carli :D

American Expedition Vehicles ;)
Truck is not lifted. Tires are only slightly larger than stock. ;)

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Truck is not lifted. Tires are only slightly larger than stock. ;)
Chet is smarter than us. We still love him, though.

Plenty of different wheels out there from reputable manufacturers. I understand trying to go with what you get a deal on/ have relationship with. That’s why I run a lot of the stuff I run (fox and battleborn)

Around here somewhere there is a thread that shows different offsets and wheel widths. If that fails, customoffsets website has a very searchable gallery you can see how a fit will look

Personally, I had a great situation with battleborn and I got to choose from one style in 1 or 2 different sizes. My wheels stick out a tiny bit but I knew I wanted the flares to tie the look together anyway so it worked out. Your truck already has flares So it may look awesome

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a slightly more technical video - this guy does a nice job of compressing a bunch of information into a short time period:

And for those of you who wish to avoid manual calculations, here is your digital assistant:

"Of course exaggerated, these are going to be small and it's not going to be super dramatic unless you have a super dramatic scrub radius."

Talk about drama.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So in doing all my research, I've come to the following conclusions.

the only size they make for my truck in the rim I want is this.

17x9
8 on 170mm bolt pattern.
5.5 inch back spacing.

So running the numbers and comparing them to the stock rims, the rim will stick out almost 1 inch more than what I currently have.

I hate the look of tires sticking out from under the truck, but if I want to change rims, looks like I have no choice. At least it's only 1 inch.

All the other rims I looked at that I like will stick out even more.

Stop assuming and run the numbers here: (this link is in the forum sticky).

Does seem like a lot of + scrub, like 1-9/32 more. Seems most are running +18-22mm offset when they need to fit 37's.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
My biggest concern is looks. I dont like tires sticking a mile out from under the fender. Even an inch is going to be pushing it for me. With the stock rim and 12.50 wide tire, it's on the edge.

Totally agree on your taste. I don't like tires/wheels sticking out past the fenders either.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Totally agree on your taste. I don't like tires/wheels sticking out past the fenders either.
On a side note. Buddy took his pony wars mustang to thunder valley track on Sunday, car #530.
Said it still had more in it. I told him he's knocking on full cage territory.
Thought you might like it.
IMG_4528.jpg

gimmie11s

Reaction score
On a side note. Buddy took his pony wars mustang to thunder valley track on Sunday, car #530.
Said it still had more in it. I told him he's knocking on full cage territory.
Thought you might like it.
View attachment 34296

Holy crap that is flying!!! What all does he have done?

He has my ET beat, but my best mph is 147 on the old motor. Im in the middle of a fully forged motor install on my car. I was wrenching on mine this weekend and almost have the new motor longblock'd. Should have timing set installed next weekend. With any luck ill be driving her again this summer.

They closed Fontana permanently so the search begins for another place to race!

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Not sure what all he has done.
Procharger
aftermarket heads
cam
maybe some nitrous, but not sure on that.

That a mod motor or coyote you are building?

Buddy told me today the are opening/or reopened a track in LA. I haven't seen anything. Maybe Fontana opened back up. :rolleyes:

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Not sure what all he has done.
Procharger
aftermarket heads
cam
maybe some nitrous, but not sure on that.

That a mod motor or coyote you are building?

Buddy told me today the are opening/or reopened a track in LA. I haven't seen anything. Maybe Fontana opened back up. :rolleyes:

Very cool! What year is his car? Prochargers are popular on the coyote platform.

The one im building is a coyote. The basic architecture is very similar to the older mod motors. I got my hands on the factory service manual so that makes things much easier.

This motor should hold about 1200whp, although my fuel system is only good to about 1000.

Users who are viewing this thread