Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp4 injector pump Failure

Richoy

Reaction score
Bought my First New ram 3500 in August 2019 Here it is June 2020 , 7310 miles later and the cp4 pump went out Truck has Been there for a month , Just Now was told By Chrysler that they're Expediting a pump from Canada So Another 2 weeks Told them I would like a Buy back and was Basically told Sorry we'll fix it & Your own your Own. SO with that said any way to prevent this in the Future as far as the fuel pump Goes or Just dump it and Go back to an 06 like I Had.

Richoy

Reaction score
cp3 conversion kit from industrial injection is really the only alternate choice.

Questions what about warranty will this Void It , & I've look at fass systems Said it would help with the Air cavitation & Hot shot additives supposedly keeps everything lubricated .

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
it will void your warranty, no question about that.

I run diesel kleen power service.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
there is a gentleman on cumminsforum that is working on a disaster prevention kit for the cp4, but it's still a few months out. I'm going that direction until my cp fails, then I'll do the cp3 conversion.

Richoy

Reaction score
Yaw I looked into that family has Fords and did the I Guess Sock filter ?. So asked about it for Ram but never could find anything out. What was Ram even Thinking Knowing Ford and GM were Having so Many Problems.

Richoy

Reaction score
Well guess I'll go to the cummins forum and See what I can Find out . Thanks Again

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Shore would be beneficial to the forum if you could elaborate on how your CP4.2 failed. I'd be pressuring the dealer for the technical details. Did the pump eat itself? Contaminated the downstream fuel system? Injectors are fine? Were you using a diesel fuel additive? Helluva first post to be sharing bad news as such. Lotsa folks here and out there are holding their breath as regards this new HPFP. Bits and pieces of any details regarding a defacto CP4.2 failure are gold!

Phil T

Reaction score
I really don't understand why everyone gets their panties in a bunch whenever someone has a part that fails. Things that have moving parts are going to fail, some early some late. Nothing can be made to perfection and I think that some of you expect perfection.

Grow up and take life's bumps like an adult.

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
Without additional facts it is hard to just assign the failure to RAM/FCA/CUMMINS engineering supplier or manufacturing processes. My neighbor had a failure in his EcoDiesel which ended up being traced to contaminated fueling.

Ford had how many issues with their redesigned Powerstroke engines? It turned into litigation between the supplier and Ford. The Scorpion had to go through revisions as well.

D

Deleted member 80

Yes, water in the fuel and contamination are a real concern, as was some trucks not having a lift pump. However, the failure rate of CP3 pumps was infinitesimal in comparison. Are there diesel pumps labeled CP3 only that dispense magic fuel? No. Nobody got bad fuel in a CP3? The CP3 is a proper, robust design that can survive in the real world, and the CP4 is a cheap POS.

Squatch

Reaction score
If bad fuel is knocking out CP4s that early on I would definitely convert to a CP3, who the hell wants to treat their truck like a little princess giving it the perfect fuel with the perfect additive. I understand additives in prolonging the pumps life out to 100s of thousands of miles, but if it can’t survive just straight diesel for a couple of thousand miles then you’re dealing with a real turd.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I really don't understand why everyone gets their panties in a bunch whenever someone has a part that fails. Things that have moving parts are going to fail, some early some late. Nothing can be made to perfection and I think that some of you expect perfection.

Grow up and take life's bumps like an adult.
Fashion tip: Wear panties that are a couple of sizes too small and they'll never bunch up! ;)

Where did the OP go? I'm wondering about having to source the replacement pump fm Canada. No spare pumps in the US? Weird. Unless... there's been a run on parts? :eek:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread