Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp4 injector pump Failure

U

User_3782

Mine has been in the shop for 3 weeks needing the whole fuel system replaced because of a bad pump. After only 16000 miles, this will be my last Ram 3500. I only hope my business last long enough for me to buy a different truck. They won't reimburse me for any lost revenue.

U

User_3782

I'm being told parts are backordered, but I'm sure they have parts to continue building new ones to put on their lots.

D

Deleted member 80

Mine has been in the shop for 3 weeks needing the whole fuel system replaced because of a bad pump. After only 16000 miles, this will be my last Ram 3500. I only hope my business last long enough for me to buy a different truck. They won't reimburse me for any lost revenue.
AFAIK Ford runs the CP4, also.

D

Deleted member 80

But will Ford make me wait for weeks to get it repaired?
You bet! Been there, done that. I could write a book on getting hosed by Ford. The radio went bad in one of my Fords almost immediately. I rode around with a hole on my dash for two months. It sucks how you are being treated, but the grass is not greener on the GM, Ford, Toyota, Volvo, or VW side. I have been mistreated by all of the above.

Shnitzen Gruben

Reaction score
Wow, this is disapointing. My 2019 Ram 3500 HO just broke down because of a fuel pump issue. I have also been told that the parts are on backorder. With only 23k miles on th he truck, it looks like I am headed down that tart road of dissapointment...... if this is a known problem, why not stock the parts needed for repair? Maybe this is so bad that they cant keep up with the parts needed for the increased demand for repairs....

Trooper

Reaction score
I hope this is not systemic, seems all 3 big brands use the similar pump and with so many on the roads it would be a low percentage i am sure. only 6000miles on mine and after reading comments i am mindful of where i buy fuel and use a good additives for lubricant now.
One interesting point to consider, depending on state laws, but if back ordered and more than 30 days you may be able to lemon it.
I had a similar issue with a VW back in 2015 here in CA, they took 35 days and then i just refused the car back, they gave me a loan vehicle for 4 months until replacement arrived

U

User_3782

I hope this is not systemic, seems all 3 big brands use the similar pump and w ith so many on the roads it would be a low percentage i am sure. only 6000miles on mine and after reading comments i am mindful of where i buy fuel and use a good additives for lubricant now.
One interesting point to consider, depending on state laws, but if back ordered and more than 30 days you may be able to lemon it.
I had a similar issue with a VW back in 2015 here in CA, they took 35 days and then i just refused the car back, they gave me a loan vehicle for 4 months until replacement arrived
Wow, this is disapointing. My 2019 Ram 3500 HO just broke down because of a fuel pump issue. I have also been told that the parts are on backorder. With only 23k miles on th he truck, it looks like I am headed down that tart road of dissapointment...... if this is a known problem, why not stock the parts needed for repair? Maybe this is so bad that they cant keep up with the parts needed for the increased demand for repairs....
They redesigned the pump on the 2019/2020 models. Obviously this was a mistake. Cal or email Ram Care and have them assign you a case manager. This might speed things up. They are reimbursing me the truck payments I made while I didn't have use of my truck. And as long as your truck is in the shop, they should be supplying you a rental car. They also reimbursed me for a motel room a had to get the day my truck broke down. If you get a case manager they will keep you informed of any progress with the parts. Don't even bother calling the service manager at the shop. By talking to my case manager, I seem to know more than him. This doesn't solve the problem, but it may help.

D

Deleted member 80

Just to clarify a bit, they didn't redesign the pump, they stopped using the proven, durable, and reliable CP3 that they used from 2003-2018, and THEY CHOSE to go with the CP4, which has a long, infamous history of catastrophic failures.

Trooper

Reaction score
I agree on the case manager approach, my lemoned VW was only through case manager and the service manager at the dealer had no clue. When the replacement turned up they actually assigned an independent rep to work with me that day. The other thing I will say, at least in CA, is that if you get a lawyer involved the case can no longer be worked with you and everything goes through them. Personally I would prefer to handle myself..

Nick

Reaction score
Use a fuel additive with lubercosity component to it . It is supposed to be added at the refinery but you never know . one possibility of pump failures . Manmade things break ;

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to catch up in this thread. So my 20, 6.7 hdho, with a door built sticker of January has this dreaded cp4 fuel pump with no improvements?
Also what are the warning signs that it's Goin bad to listen for?
Sorry if this is redundant as I just quick read all the posts.
I only have 5000 miles on, mostly pulling fiver, not noticed anything abnormal yet.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I just found an article on a class action suit to join if you have the cp4 by Bosch. How do we find out if we have it. Has anybody else joined it, it's supposed to be able to hold big 3 accountable for repairs as it looks like there supposed to not last much past 100,000 miles. Yes I'm freaking out a bit.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
If it's '19+ it has a CP4, unfortunately.
Thanks. I just contacted ram customer care and they act like they don't have a clue if my vin has the bosch cp4 fuel injector. There supposed to have someone email me but I'm not holding my breath on that one,. That would be one he'll of a recall if all big 3 are using the cp4 on at least 2 model years, thats millions of vehicles. As soon as I see in documnention from ram that's what I have, ill probably join that suit , if nothing else to just add my name to the long list to prompt them to recall that junk thing before something bad happens. From what I've read, there currently not warranty ing the failure because they just say the metal fragments dispersed through out fuel system was caused by fuel contamination. Well no $#/+ dumb a$$, where do you think the contaminates came from. :mad::eek:

D

Deleted member 80

GM went to a Denso system when the L5P came out, IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread