Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp4 injector pump Failure

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/what-is-cp4-failure

check out this article in truck trend, Apparently there is a company that makes a CP3 conversation that doesn’t require deleting your truck.
I saw that there was lots of different options out there ranging from $200- 3500. Seams like its questionable if they void warranty and also if you make changes and when something does happen if it becomes a warranty item would you qualify if you added aftermarket features. J kind of like the cheap fix of all metal fragments getting diverted directly to fuel filters first for capture and thus reducing major damage

steve49

Reaction score
I had read on another site that the Ram Bosch CP 4 had been upgraded to a different main shaft because of the problems, and was labeled CP 4.2, but I guess that's not working so well either. My guess is if you changed to the CP 3 with the aftermarket kit, and had problems they would void your warranty.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I had read on another site that the Ram Bosch CP 4 had been upgraded to a different main shaft because of the problems, and was labeled CP 4.2, but I guess that's not working so well either. My guess is if you changed to the CP 3 with the aftermarket kit, and had problems they would void your warranty.
Im sure they would. It would be nice to know though exactly how ours are set up from there technicians so we know where's there at with things

D

Deleted member 80

CP4.2 does not indicate a revision, it indicates how many pumping sections, or "cylinders" it has, in our case it's two. There were rumors of internal improvements, but not one single thing was pointed out. The CP4 is a poor design. A video was posted previously that showed a teardown of a CP3 and CP4. You don't have to be an enhineer to see that the CP3 is a way more robust design.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
CP4.2 does not indicate a revision, it indicates how many pumping sections, or "cylinders" it has, in our case it's two. There were rumors of internal improvements, but not one simgle thing was pointed out. The CP4 is a poor design. A video was posted previously that showed a teardown of a CP3 and CP4. You don't have to be an enhineer to see that the CP3 is a way more robust design.
The fact that this is still going on now for two model years and no improvement had been remedied is very concerning. Don't like the idea of worrying about a 9-15 k fuel system rebuild. Sounds like as early as 26,000 miles up to 100,000 it could implode. Your damed if you do or don't do anything, either way you won't be covered :mad:under warranty

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
So most of you have probably known about this whole cp4 issue but to those like myself who are just getting on board the worry train on how long before implosion, i found this great article that explains everything from the cp3 - cp4 - cp4.1 - cp4.2. Just a fyi, all cp4 roads lead to eventual implosion.

Reaction score
Hey all! Just had to get on the bandwagon.. purchased my new ram 4th of july 1 month later the cp4.2 has taken a dump.
Driving down the road at 70mph and she just quit lost steering, brakes not to metion i had a 44' trailer loaded behind me. Coast to a stop on 2 lane highway.. plug my scanner in to see a low rail pressure code and 14 others. I knew exactly what that means.. (own a diesel performance shop) I have had nothing but cummins powered trucks for over 15 years... had this turd towed to the dealer who advised me that it could take minimum of 2-4 weeks before Chrysler tells them what to do.. after the truck sitting there for a wek and them saying its my FPR that went bad.... they replaced it and surprise!! Still no start.. then they called and said FCA will get back to me in 2 weeks at best. NO THANKS! I told them im on my way to get the truck and they can pound sand. Get it back to my shop pull injectors send them out for testing and to my surprise! contaminated and completely plugged up.. so now i have bought new bosch injectors for a small fee of $4000 then a cp3 conversion and a fass 165 that are now getting comfortable in the new 2020 ram. Would love to hear what other have done.

Attachments

• 20200807_171740.jpg
    20200807_171740.jpg
    690.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20200812_171619.jpg
    20200812_171619.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 51

Squatch

Reaction score
Based on what I’ve been hearing you probably made the right choice. So is this an advertisement for your CP3 conversion ;)

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Omg dude, I would of $#/+ my pants, couldn't of been a more unsafe situation to be put in. You and or others could of been killed if you had been in heavy traffic. This is really sad to say but it sounds like fca is waiting for so many people to get killed before a recall is done. You made up my mind for me, I'm getting on board that class action suit I found a while back. That's just uncalled for.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
not sure if I should start a whole other thread or not but it's about the cp4 so if I'm out of line I'm sure ill get talked to.
Pertaining to the class action suit that's going around on the cp4 injection pump. Id like to hear some opinions on possible negative effects of joining the suit. Example being, does that mean you won't be eligible if the pump is recalled.
Any thoughts.
I know this is out on the border lines of this conversation

steve49

Reaction score
If a class action lawsuit goes forward, every owner benefits from the suit regardless of whether you sign up or not. We all went through the same thing with the EcoDiesel when all the lawyers started coming out soliciting. My guess there will be a recall somewhere along the way, but whether your a part of the lawsuit or not, it'll be quite sometime before it's all finalized. There wouldn't be any negative effects, it's an issue and FCA knows it.

Reaction score
Omg dude, I would of $#/+ my pants, couldn't of been a more unsafe situation to be put in. You and or others could of been killed if you had been in heavy traffic. This is really sad to say but it sounds like fca is waiting for so many people to get killed before a recall is done. You made up my mind for me, I'm getting on board that class action suit I found a while back. That's just uncalled for.
Yeah the entire situation is a joke. I feel baf for people who are buying extended warranty so the truck can sit for approximately 8 weeks to be repaired. F - that. Ill fix it myself and anyone that wants the conversion done ill do the kabor for FREE

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Yeah the entire situation is a joke. I feel baf for people who are buying extended warranty so the truck can sit for approximately 8 weeks to be repaired. F - that. Ill fix it myself and anyone that wants the conversion done ill do the kabor for FREE
Yup, all that extra werwarranty coverage snd they deny yah for ( contaminated fuel). 100% b.s.. the buisness side of it sucks, so many people have to be stranded or worse hurt or killed before a recall is issued.
Sorry obese folks, but how many overweight folks has to get hurt before the retractable step got a recall

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Hmmmm, sounds like I may have to wait for a new revision before I buy. As we all know, ford owners especially, whenever a major engine re- design, many problems rear their ugly heads. 80-90k for a truck that needs a major system overhaul at 100k, no thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread