Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cargo camera unavailable

matemike

Reaction score
When is this next OTA update?

I just received my 2022 2500 Laramie with 8.4" screen and got the dreaded blue screen for the cargo camera.

tiki318

Reaction score
I literally just got done posting the following to Ram Trucks' fb page. I don't expect any action, just needed to vent:

Re: Case 82824744
On May 4, I took delivery of our 2022 3500 Laramie HO 4x4 that we ordered on Sept. 29, 2021. From day one the cargo camera has not worked. The discussion on the HDRams forum pointed to a software issue going back to at least December 2021. Other victims of this issue have resolved the problem by uploading a newer version of the software provided by another member who received it directly through an OTA update. Many of those same individuals claim that the camera magically began to work after they addressed the problem themselves as neither their dealer nor Ram had resolved it. I, however, was reluctant to play with the software of a brand new $86K truck and risk voiding the warranty, so I followed the prescribed procedure. Apparently, Ram insists on following a decision tree whose first step is to replace the camera, then the entire infotainment system. After replacing the camera which, big surprise, did not resolve the problem, the dealer said they were going to open up the dash. At that point I put on the breaks. I pleaded the case with FCA through my Customer Care case manager to try a software update before they start ripping everything apart by providing screenshots of numerous threads on the forum stating that the camera was fixed after downloading version S23.13 or S24.13. Ram then requested that my dealer document some codes from my truck that required us to take it into service 5 times in one week. Finally, we were approved to have our VIN put on the list to have an OTA update pushed through. So, we get to today. It's 3 weeks later and we still have not gotten the update. I emailed my case manager and find out the ticket has been closed! After pressing for a supervisor, my rep finally deigned to take my call and said that since there is no repair to be done, only a software update, the ticket was closed. She also said that there is no update to "push" through. They were the ones pushing to replace the entire radio/nav system, but now they say no repair! It may still need a new nav/radio. I was just advocating that the least invasive step and the one to most likely to resolve the problem be taken first. So what, I'm back to square one and I just have to wait for a "scheduled" update to magically appear? I have been told that my VIN is not "scheduled" for any updates. Others on the forum have gotten both of the previously mentioned updates which come out quarterly. I haven't gotten any. I was told by the dealer that Ram said my truck would be put on the list to push an update through.

And, 3 months after delivery the stinking camera for which I paid $345 still isn't working!!

This was my 3rd Ram and may likely be my last. I guess JD Powers was right.

sad but true.jpg

matemike

Reaction score
Well dangit!!!

I literally just dropped my truck off this morning to have the cargo camera fixed.
I took delivery from MD last week and it has not worked since then. I wish these dealers would explain more rather than leaving us folks to discuss here and basically just guess all around at THEIR problem.

Does anybody who has taken delivery recently have a working cargo camera?

tiki318

Reaction score
i just love how they keep delivering these trucks with non-functioning cameras and charge us for them!! I can't believe how my former case manager had the audacity to say it was a warranty issue. I tried to explain that warranties are the customers' recourse for things that break after they accept delivery, not to address manufacturer's defects that existed before it left the factory. I guess i should be grateful that i'm not still waiting for delivery.

matemike

Reaction score
No success.
Just got truck back from my local dealer service dept. They said their tech to tech talk throughout the company has revealed that there will be another software update 4th quarter this year to repair the cargo camera. They could Not tell me if it will be over-the-air or I have to bring the truck back in.

Really hoping it is OTA because my truck sat at the dealer service center all day; despite me having an appointment for 0800 that I set up a week ago. I watched the vehicle’s location on the app and it did not move into the garage until 2 pm. It basically took me 8 hours to get a state inspection completed. I’m with you @tiki318 , RAM kinda got us by the balls charging $345 for something that still may or may not work. And for all I know, that might have been the feature that held me up for a 223 day wait. Oh well. Glad that part is over.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
No success.
Just got truck back from my local dealer service dept. They said their tech to tech talk throughout the company has revealed that there will be another software update 4th quarter this year to repair the cargo camera. They could Not tell me if it will be over-the-air or I have to bring the truck back in.

Really hoping it is OTA because my truck sat at the dealer service center all day; despite me having an appointment for 0800 that I set up a week ago. I watched the vehicle’s location on the app and it did not move into the garage until 2 pm. It basically took me 8 hours to get a state inspection completed. I’m with you @tiki318 , RAM kinda got us by the balls charging $345 for something that still may or may not work. And for all I know, that might have been the feature that held me up for a 223 day wait. Oh well. Glad that part is over.
What software version are you on right now?

tiki318

Reaction score
No success.

i'm sorry it didn't pan out. at least it sounds like they are not going to push you into replacing the entire nav/radio. i was worried if they started ripping the dash apart something else would get screwed up/broken in the process. who knows what caused the delay. my truck took 2 months from build to delivery, 7 months 4 days total.
yet another Ram Cares rep reached out after my fb post. it's funny how after i responded to their request for a dm my post disappeared from the public page. so, i reposted it.
he wanted me to pull up the version of the app (not the software) on the screen. the instructions he provided did not work. he hasn't responded in almost 2 hrs.

Jimmy07

Reaction score

matemike

Reaction score
Thanks Jimmy. I’ll give that a whirl.

Will that void any warranty my new truck has?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Thanks Jimmy. I’ll give that a whirl.

Will that void any warranty my new truck has?
No. It’s the exact same update that is being pushed OTA to all Ram UC5 nav radios.

tiki318

Reaction score
well, i was really fed up one day about 2 weeks ago because the i had not yet gotten the fota update i had been promised by Ram customer care 3 weeks earlier. in my frustration, i posted to Ram trucks' fb and that got the attention of uconnect. after a request to continue the conversation through direct message they deleted my original post (no surprise) and i was assigned one of their reps. went thru the niceties and was told they approved the update, but i had to take the truck to my dealer for him to initiate a ticket with STAR as that would be faster. he had the truck for 2 days, no update and they "authorized" replacement of the entire infotainment system. Ram had wanted to replace the radio/nav a month ago, but i was trying to get them to try the update first! i don't get why they are so set on replacing hardware before they try the update. I had even sent ram copies of the chats where guys said the camera worked after installing jimmy's software. my truck was built on 3/10/22, and i have not gotten a single update since then. hey jimmy, a question for you - are the quarterly updates supposed to be distributed to all of the 22s?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
well, i was really fed up one day about 2 weeks ago because the i had not yet gotten the fota update i had been promised by Ram customer care 3 weeks earlier. in my frustration, i posted to Ram trucks' fb and that got the attention of uconnect. after a request to continue the conversation through direct message they deleted my original post (no surprise) and i was assigned one of their reps. went thru the niceties and was told they approved the update, but i had to take the truck to my dealer for him to initiate a ticket with STAR as that would be faster. he had the truck for 2 days, no update and they "authorized" replacement of the entire infotainment system. Ram had wanted to replace the radio/nav a month ago, but i was trying to get them to try the update first! i don't get why they are so set on replacing hardware before they try the update. I had even sent ram copies of the chats where guys said the camera worked after installing jimmy's software. my truck was built on 3/10/22, and i have not gotten a single update since then. hey jimmy, a question for you - are the quarterly updates supposed to be distributed to all of the 22s?
Just to clear something up first- it is not “my” software, it is the exact over the air update that you are waiting for. Let’s just say that I am able to obtain it from a source more reliable than Ram.
They aren’t necessarily “quarterly” updates, but every radio should eventually receive the update OTA. When, and why it takes so long for some, and why some never end up receiving them, I have no clue.
Simply put, if you want your cargo camera to work, this usb update is the actual solution. I guess you can either choose to do the update yourself to fix your issue, or you can keep playing phone tag and run around with the dealer day in and day out, wasting time and building frustration.

tiki318

Reaction score
Just to clear something up first- it is not “my” software, it is the exact over the air update that you are waiting for. Let’s just say that I am able to obtain it from a source more reliable than Ram.
They aren’t necessarily “quarterly” updates, but every radio should eventually receive the update OTA. When, and why it takes so long for some, and why some never end up receiving them, I have no clue.
Simply put, if you want your cargo camera to work, this usb update is the actual solution. I guess you can either choose to do the update yourself to fix your issue, or you can keep playing phone tag and run around with the dealer day in and day out, wasting time and building frustration.
i'm sorry jimmy, poor choice of words on my part. i did not intend to infer that you are the source of the software. i fully understand that the update is a Ram product that you have generously made available. i am champing at the bit to prove Ram wrong by installing it on my truck. it's just that i have the worst luck and if i happen to have some corrupted code that is amplified by an incompatible software update that i initiated i'm royally screwed. i went down that road with my laptop. i'll let them replace the system and if that doesn't resolve the problem i'll take the leap and install the update myself. thanks for all of your time and info you share.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
i'm sorry jimmy, poor choice of words on my part. i did not intend to infer that you are the source of the software. i fully understand that the update is a Ram product that you have generously made available. i am champing at the bit to prove Ram wrong by installing it on my truck. it's just that i have the worst luck and if i happen to have some corrupted code that is amplified by an incompatible software update that i initiated i'm royally screwed. i went down that road with my laptop. i'll let them replace the system and if that doesn't resolve the problem i'll take the leap and install the update myself. thanks for all of your time and info you share.
The STAR case specifically tells dealers that the cargo camera issue is software related, and not to replace the radio in bold letters.
A4840F35-C83B-4ED5-936F-05179AB71B6B.jpeg

tiki318

Reaction score
i had already found that document and took it with me to the dealer over a month ago. STAR told them that it didn't pertain to my truck because I have a later version of the software (S21D.5).

VictoryDaveAZ

Reaction score
So, took delivery of my New 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie, 52 miles on it, on Friday Aug 26th. Cargo Camera on the 12" display was BLUE on delivery, tailgate camera works and do not have the 360 option. They submitted a ticket and asked me to bring it to get it checked out on Tues 9/6/22. Picked it up today, 9/13/22, and it is not working. They replaced the camera and are being told by Chrysler to replace the radio. It is on order, should be in 7 to 10 business days. I mentioned to them about the OTA, SW/FW and they stated is all up to date per tech and Chrysler experts and still not working! Sounds like others have had the same issue. Think I will try the manual update Jimmy07 attached in this thread. Hopefully this works, hate for them to tear into the dash and replace the radio for just an update! Wish me luck! Ha! Did I miss something, where do I look for the current SW/FW on my radio? (Will look for the Version info in the Radio, seen the photo attached earlier.) Thanks. Picture of my new ride!20220826_180820.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread