Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bug Deflector

BroKV

Reaction score
Never understood what “bug deflectors” actually do. Please educate me?

“By redirecting airstream upward at the front of your vehicle, the goal of deflectors is to carry bugs up and over the roof instead of directly across the hood and into the windshield.”

They are not perfect but worth it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
“By redirecting airstream upward at the front of your vehicle, the goal of deflectors is to carry bugs up and over the roof instead of directly across the hood and into the windshield.”

They are not perfect but worth it for me.

Hmm I wonder if there is any proof they work other than anecdotal evidence. I wondered why so many people were worried about bugs on the hood.. I didn’t realize they changed the aero of the entire front end. Do they help/hurt mpg? You’d think they would have some effect if they change the aero that much

jned671

Banned and tried to rejoin
Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. To each their own. That being said. Bugs on hoods… no. Windshield… yes. Critics are everywhere. Here’s criticism about your profile picture. . Let’s see how well you take it. Isn’t that bumper and winch set-up a little over kill. Since your not going to be able to get your Ram into a position to recover your trail/rock crawling rig. You have it. You like it. Good for you. Let people be.

DeepH20Driller

Reaction score
Wow, that escalated rather quickly!
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcarey

Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. To each their own. That being said. Bugs on hoods… no. Windshield… yes. Critics are everywhere. Here’s criticism about your profile picture. . Let’s see how well you take it. Isn’t that bumper and winch set-up a little over kill. Since your not going to be able to get your Ram into a position to recover your trail/rock crawling rig. You have it. You like it. Good for you. Let people be.

Having done no research on these, whatsoever, I'd bet if they did work there are air tunnel videos of them in action. Should be easy to figure out.

But imagine getting this triggered by someone casually asking if a product works... yikes. You could just say you like the way they look.

Last edited:

jned671

Banned and tried to rejoin
Reaction score
Having done no research on these, whatsoever, I'd bet if they did work there are air tunnel videos of them in action. Should be easy to figure out.

But imagine getting this triggered by someone casually asking if a product works... yikes. You could just say you like the way they look.
I like the way they look!1624235886843.png

BroKV

Reaction score
My Dad always had them on our trucks and Suburban growing up, he still has them today. Mine is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday and we will be making the same trip to the river that we just returned from. I know how many bugs I cleaned off the windshield and grill this weekend. Should be able to see a difference, if any judging by what’s on the grill. I do like the look as well.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Lol wow

so does anybody have any proof the bug deflectors work?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Well, I searched and I can’t find a single wind tunnel video of a bug deflector. I’d still like to see one. The internet suggests the plastic strips work somewhat at deflecting bugs but give drag related mpg loss of 1-2% both due to airflow disruption

BroKV

Reaction score
Well, I searched and I can’t find a single wind tunnel video of a bug deflector. I’d still like to see one. The internet suggests the plastic strips work somewhat at deflecting bugs but give drag related mpg loss of 1-2% both due to airflow disruption

At 2% that would be about .25-.30 MPG loss unloaded for me. I will know if it seems to deflect bugs once I do my trip this next week. I did try to find stuff on the Interweb as well but no real data, just opinions.

kxnate

Reaction score
I honestly thought that’s what they were for bugs/rock chips on the hood.
I think in the old days when they were really just straight up I think they did disrupt the airflow enough to actually "throw" most bugs up over the cab. But the modern deflectors are so Aero, I consider it more of a rock guard than a deflector of any sort. Still get lots of bugs on the glass.

BroKV

Reaction score
“Keep your front-end looking showroom new with the AVS Bugflector II – an innovative high-profile hood shield with a wrap-around design. The AVS Bugflector II is constructed using proprietary, impact resistant ABS material, and it offers maximum coverage area to stop rocks from dinging your hood and to keep insects off your windshield. Car wash safe with an easy non-drill installation, the AVS Bugflector II means minimal downtime without sacrificing protection for your vehicle.”

They advertise that it does keep bugs off the windshield but I guess I will find out for sure.

Last edited:

kxnate

Reaction score
“Keep your front-end looking showroom new with the AVS Bugflector II – an innovative high-profile hood shield with a wrap-around design. The AVS Bugflector II is constructed using proprietary, impact resistant ABS material, and it offers maximum coverage area to stop rocks from dinging your hood and to keep insects off your windshield. Car wash safe with an easy non-drill installation, the AVS Bugflector II means minimal downtime without sacrificing protection for your vehicle.”

They advertise that it does keep bugs off the windshield but I guess I find out for sure.

They may say that, but mine does nothing for bugs, but I was under no illusion that it would when I bought it. Like I said, I got it for chip protection. Now my old 83 Dodge I had year ago had a deflector that stuck straight up about 4 inches and it did lessen the amount of bugs on the glass a bit.

John Jensen

Reaction score
For those of you who do have a bug deflector, do you think it does much for rock chips or is a good idea for them? One of my cars has a quite few on the hood but it is low to the ground and actually slopes way down and really isn't that bad for being 12 years old. I am wondering if since the hood is so high on this trucks and pretty flat, if rock trips are a concern. Or does it depend more on what part of the country you live and if they sand the road more often or not?
All I know is that without a deflector you will get those little chips on the front edge of the hood. With a deflector that will not happen.

el_barto

Reaction score
All I know is that without a deflector you will get those little chips on the front edge of the hood. With a deflector that will not happen.
Instead of little chips, big plastic thing.

I’ve got nothing against bug deflectors, but I’ve yet to see scientific proof that they substantially reduce the amount of bugs on the windshield.

I’ve considered one for my Power Wagon as it might compliment the existing plastic brow piece between the grille and hood, but not because I think it will prevent chips or bugs

Users who are viewing this thread