Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best rain/snow MT or AT? I live in the PNW

John Jensen

Reaction score

read thru the comments Joe worked with Toyo developing the at3 but puts the Falken at3w slightly ahead of it. That says a lot.
I've run the Toyos and the Falkens and I say the Falkens are way ahead of the Toyos. Especially in the wet or rain.
I do have to add I've not run either in the mud, so can't speak to their mudding performance

Last edited:

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Toyo AT3 and Falken AT3w's are really good winter tires. The Falkens are almost as good as studs. My experience is driving in Montana for going on 50 years and love winter sports.
This. I tried a set a set and now they Are on both vehicles

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Can I get some feedback or opinions on which MT is best on wet pavement? I live in rainy west coast of Canada which may as well be Seattle for reference. I have Ridge Grapplers on my 1500 right now and it does pretty well but still slips from a start quite often. My 2500 CTD is coming and I need MT's for the mud I'm going to be frequenting but do not want to quit breathing every time I take a turn at anything more than a snails pace in the rain.
Duratracs unless you want a full on M/T then the bfg muds km3 and the mickey thompson baja claw is great..... my duratracs were awesome in mud and snow and i got 100k km on them on my 05 CTD

PGHChris81

Reaction score
I had Duratracs on a few trucks prior to my RAM and hated them. After about 5-10k miles they wore horribly uneven and they were terrible in the snow and rain. They were good for mud and offroad, but that's about it. I love my Wildpeak AT3Ws. I recommend them to everyone.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
I had duratracs on a duramax. They are a hybrid tire. Good in snow. But not good everywhere else. Not great in rain. Didn't wear good and had really soft sidewalls. They came off quite quick.

The at3w are a vast improvement.

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
Everyone seems to have excellent results and reviews from the Falken AT3W. I just do not know if they will serve me for my off road expeditions into the mud and slick trails. I think they would be excel on any pavement and probably just as well on gravel or dirt roads. I just worry about them getting clogged up pretty good when rain meets that dirt and then end up wishing I had sacrificed a little on road comfort for the assurance of being able to go anywhere anytime.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Everyone seems to have excellent results and reviews from the Falken AT3W. I just do not know if they will serve me for my off road expeditions into the mud and slick trails. I think they would be excel on any pavement and probably just as well on gravel or dirt roads. I just worry about them getting clogged up pretty good when rain meets that dirt and then end up wishing I had sacrificed a little on road comfort for the assurance of being able to go anywhere anytime.
I was in the same boat. An MT they are not. I haven't had any issues with wet forrest service roads or the like. Ultimately most of my driving is in the wet, packed snow/ice and pulling. So I went with these because the MT excels in mid and deep snow but sacrifices in all the other areas. So far happy.

Before this I have always ran toyo mt's center siped. Another great option. But the at3's are better in every condition but the mud.

I just put bfg mt km3's on my utv. Could be another good contender if you siped them it seems. But hard to give a good review when they are mounted on a 2k pound rig with lockers.

Users who are viewing this thread