Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best rain/snow MT or AT? I live in the PNW

NomadPNW

Reaction score
What’s the true diameter of that 35”? Sure as hell looks close to 33” looking at that picture. Or did you get a different size?
Yeah from their website it’s saying 34.76 overall. I mean I took a measure to it tonight and it’s under 34 for sure..... I’ll take it again once it’s mounted and aired up but meh. Still better then the stockers and these were 976 shipped to the house so not shabby.

Squatch

Reaction score
Same issue with my 325/65r18. Specs say 34.6. I measure it with tape for speedo calibration yesterday and get 33.25. The tires drive and look good, but I’m trying to decide weather to go bitch to discount tire or just let it ride. Mine are the Hankook dynapro AT2. I mean if you order a 22 oz pour, they give you a 16 oz instead, but charge you for the 22oz price...you’d be kinda pissed right?

jadmt

Reaction score
it would be rare for a tire to actually measure specified size when mounted on rig. Some are worse than others.

jadmt

Reaction score
Yeah, but an inch and a half is a different tire size all together and a feel like that is BS.
I have had several sets of Toyo AT2 and RT and most recently the AT3 in 35's and all were under 33.5. My BFG KO2 in 34x10.5-17 measured 32.25. only tires I know of that are close are Interco's and pit bulls. my Cooper 315/70-17 st maxx's are also 33.25" so it is the nature of the beast. If you look it usually tells you what wheel width the tire was measured on and that measurement would aired up to max and circumference measured and divided by pi.

Squatch

Reaction score
I just know my last set of hankook ATMs, which they stopped making in 325/65r18 were 34.6 on the dot. So just bummed to be losing some rubber.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
my yoko geolanders were 34 6 as well. I have a set of at3's being delivered this week, first thing I'll do is check the diameter.

jadmt

Reaction score
my yoko geolanders were 34 6 as well. I have a set of at3's being delivered this week, first thing I'll do is check the diameter.

these on a lighter vehicle measured just under 33.5" mounted at 28psi and are 35x17's. Only complaint is they are noisier than the AT2 or even the RT. stick like glue tho.
0D0FBB53-2D3B-4847-8302-1CE693C7FD38.jpeg

Ruffone

Reaction score
Yeah the transforces are soooo bad I really can’t understand why they keep using them.
Because of what everyone here on this forum does... They sell these garbage tires to the OEMs and then almost as soon as people buy these trucks they realize how crappy they are and they spend more money on replacing them with better tires. It’s a win win for tire manufacturers.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Because of what everyone here on this forum does... They sell these garbage tires to the OEMs and then almost as soon as people buy these trucks they realize how crappy they are and they spend more money on replacing them with better tires. It’s a win win for tire manufacturers.

So you think Firestone and FCA have formed a giant conspiracy so truck buyers go out and buy Falken, Toyo/Nitto, Cooper tires?

:D

I sold my brand new Firestone takeoffs on FB in 3 days. How did that help with a tire sale by preventing the buyer from purchasing a new set of tires?

Ruffone

Reaction score
So you think Firestone and FCA have formed a giant conspiracy so truck buyers go out and buy Falken, Toyo/Nitto, Cooper tires?

:D

I sold my brand new Firestone takeoffs on FB in 3 days. How did that help with a tire sale by preventing the buyer from purchasing a new set of tires?
Well you went out and bought a new set of tires after you paid for a new set with your truck did you not? Sure you got some of your money back with your resale, but in the end two new sets of tires were bought for the same new vehicle.

And no, I never said it was a conspiracy.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The buyer of my tires purchased them to replace his worn tires and subsequently did not buy retail.

I'm struggling with the logic that buying different brand tires helps Firestone or FCA?

Ruffone

Reaction score
I never said it helped either one of them, I stated that 2 sets of brand new tires were bought for the same truck. So a company made money that it would normally not, slip any brand name in there you want it doesn’t matter. Most normal people don’t buy new tires for a new vehicle that already has new tires on it. Do the math

BULLSANDBUCKSHUNTER

Reaction score
I never said it helped either one of them, I stated that 2 sets of brand new tires were bought for the same truck. So a company made money that it would normally not, slip any brand name in there you want it doesn’t matter. Most normal people don’t buy new tires for a new vehicle that already has new tires on it. Do the math
Actually doing the math says it doesnt help nore hurt tire manufacturers. If you resold your oem ties somebuddy will use all the miles up oh them instead of you, you didnt fundamentally change the number of miles driven by anyone which is only way to effect sales. Ya if you junked the oem tires prematurely then it helped...lol

Ruffone

Reaction score
Actually doing the math says it doesnt help nore hurt tire manufacturers. If you resold your oem ties somebuddy will use all the miles up oh them instead of you, you didnt fundamentally change the number of miles driven by anyone which is only way to effect sales. Ya if you junked the oem tires prematurely then it helped...lol
You’re going on the assumption that the guy who bought the TF tires replaced a totally worn out set. And then you forgot the fact that both parties paid a third party to mount and balance the tires.

It’s gotten so crazy on the internet these days, everyone wants to argue points just for the sake of arguing. You guys won, I give. I’m just some stupid ass hick that doesnt know a thing About anything in life...

NomadPNW

Reaction score
So couldn’t get the 35x12.50 Kendas mounted up so I returned them and DiscountTire came in and got a great deal on Nitto Ridge Grapplers! Getting them installed on Saturday :)

BigRam14

Reaction score
So time to ditch these stock tires. I’m going with a 35x12.5 on the stock wheels. What’s the best AT/MT for these heavy trucks out there? What’s the best for the rain and snow and such? I come from a different weather and lighter trucks. I do a lot of fireroads and trials and lotta on road winter driving where they don’t plow in my area. Thoughts? I know the KO2 used to be the tire but I guess not anymore and not with the heavy trucks now. I like the Nittos RG but rumor says they are not the best in the rain and snow?
I run 37/13.5/22 toyo mt all year round on my 14 ram 3500 cummins. Live in Northern MN and get 50-60k out of them

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
Can I get some feedback or opinions on which MT is best on wet pavement? I live in rainy west coast of Canada which may as well be Seattle for reference. I have Ridge Grapplers on my 1500 right now and it does pretty well but still slips from a start quite often. My 2500 CTD is coming and I need MT's for the mud I'm going to be frequenting but do not want to quit breathing every time I take a turn at anything more than a snails pace in the rain.

Users who are viewing this thread