Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best rain/snow MT or AT? I live in the PNW

NomadPNW

Reaction score
So time to ditch these stock tires. I’m going with a 35x12.5 on the stock wheels. What’s the best AT/MT for these heavy trucks out there? What’s the best for the rain and snow and such? I come from a different weather and lighter trucks. I do a lot of fireroads and trials and lotta on road winter driving where they don’t plow in my area. Thoughts? I know the KO2 used to be the tire but I guess not anymore and not with the heavy trucks now. I like the Nittos RG but rumor says they are not the best in the rain and snow?

Attachments

• 0669BE56-9661-4D11-ABF4-67D8DF1E4DCD.jpeg
    0669BE56-9661-4D11-ABF4-67D8DF1E4DCD.jpeg
    701.6 KB · Views: 50

jadmt

Reaction score
Toyo AT3 and Falken AT3w's are really good winter tires. The Falkens are almost as good as studs. My experience is driving in Montana for going on 50 years and love winter sports.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I have been running the 3 peak geolanders and they have been excellent during colorado mountain winters, texas rain storms and everything between. having said that, I am about to get a set of toyo open country at3's delivered from autoguide to try out and review, so we'll see how they stack up.

I'd recommend the yoko's at the moment.

jadmt

Reaction score

read thru the comments Joe worked with Toyo developing the at3 but puts the Falken at3w slightly ahead of it. That says a lot.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Where you at in PNW? You can swing by and try the RGs in my JK when the first snow hits. Bring a diaper! The JK will probably get the WPs pretty soon, maybe on dedicated wheels for winter here in Spokane. I put 35" Cooper Discoverers on the Ram a few months ago which has a boat load of factory siping. But I can't comment on snow performance. I ran to Bozeman last weekend and they ate up the miles very well. 80+ mph, hard corners super smooth. Had them in dirt a few Xs but haven't needed 4wd since install, unlike transfarces.

NomadPNW

Reaction score
Where you at in PNW? You can swing by and try the RGs in my JK when the first snow hits. Bring a diaper! The JK will probably get the WPs pretty soon, maybe on dedicated wheels for winter here in Spokane. I put 35" Cooper Discoverers on the Ram a few months ago which has a boat load of factory siping. But I can't comment on snow performance. I ran to Bozeman last weekend and they ate up the miles very well. 80+ mph, hard corners super smooth. Had them in dirt a few Xs but haven't needed 4wd since install, unlike transfarces.
I’m up in Bellingham currently. I ended up getting some 35x12.50 Kenda Kelver RTs. Should have them put on Monday :) Yeah the Coopers look like a solid tire for sure. Yeah the transforces are soooo bad I really can’t understand why they keep using them.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Nice, love those North Cascades! Report back after you get some miles on them. I thought the transforces were livable until spring ATV run in mountains. Almost had to make the GF push cuz of an inch of mud!

slackerwill

Reaction score
I’m up in Bellingham currently. I ended up getting some 35x12.50 Kenda Kelver RTs. Should have them put on Monday :) Yeah the Coopers look like a solid tire for sure. Yeah the transforces are soooo bad I really can’t understand why they keep using them.
$$. I bet they pay $50 a tire if that and they are good enough for what most people do.

Graphxdesigns

Reaction score
Well great.. after reading this thread I found the answer to my question....How are the stock Transforces in snow?... I should be all moved to Coeur d'Alene by mid Oct and was wondering if the stock ones would last me till the next time I need tires... I will be making 2-3 trips back and forth to Norcal to move all my house stuff & shop toys so maybe I can wait till after those trips... then pickup some Falken Wildpeak AT3W LT35/12.50R20 and then do a leveling kit too...

jadmt

Reaction score
Well great.. after reading this thread I found the answer to my question....How are the stock Transforces in snow?... I should be all moved to Coeur d'Alene by mid Oct and was wondering if the stock ones would last me till the next time I need tires... I will be making 2-3 trips back and forth to Norcal to move all my house stuff & shop toys so maybe I can wait till after those trips... then pickup some Falken Wildpeak AT3W LT35/12.50R20 and then do a leveling kit too...
CDA has similar weather to where I live 170 miles east of CDA in Missoula.

NomadPNW

Reaction score
I’ve not had any good experiences with them at all in snow and rain. Get the tires ASAP in my opinion.

NomadPNW

Reaction score
Woot! Waiting on the 4th tire to show up lol the joys of FedEx! I’ll post up photos when they are installed. :DD20E2E2D-6EAE-4C36-A19B-7B54FB955696.jpeg

Attachments

• 1F42E127-AFFC-41A8-9B86-A3FD38C56035.jpeg
    1F42E127-AFFC-41A8-9B86-A3FD38C56035.jpeg
    774.2 KB · Views: 22

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
The tforces were fine Las winter here in Spokane. First trip through dirt was when I'd had enough.

Users who are viewing this thread