Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Regen too often

tripleH

Reaction score
I have a 2023 RAM 2500 Limited that seems to regen constantly, but I don't know how to figure that out because there are no messages on the dashboard about regen cycles. I have flipped through every screen dozens of times. I don't know how many of you can see the number of miles between regen cycles, but I would love to have access to that information.

My truck is guzzling diesel at an insane rate, to the point that I almost don't use the truck anymore because it is so expensive to feed due to constant regeneration. The range was estimated at 408 miles yesterday when I turned the truck on. It dropped to 395 when I started the truck, and it was at 304 by the time I returned home. The trip was 32 miles with a stop at the halfway point. The range for a full tank starts at 500+ and I am barely getting half that because so much fuel is being used for regen. My dealer is telling me everything is fine even though the check engine light comes on every month. I don't know what to do with my extremely expensive paperweight.

k72nova

Reaction score
150 miles between regenerations is far from fixed.
Sounds like the issue was upstream and the new DPF was a bandaid (which is common with dealers who won’t properly diagnose the issue)
I completely agree, I’ve been trying to drive the truck more so that when the problem comes back I will hopefully still be under warranty. I really wish I didn’t have to have a CEL for the dealer to do something about this.

k72nova

Reaction score
I have a 2023 RAM 2500 Limited that seems to regen constantly, but I don't know how to figure that out because there are no messages on the dashboard about regen cycles. I have flipped through every screen dozens of times. I don't know how many of you can see the number of miles between regen cycles, but I would love to have access to that information.

My truck is guzzling diesel at an insane rate, to the point that I almost don't use the truck anymore because it is so expensive to feed due to constant regeneration. The range was estimated at 408 miles yesterday when I turned the truck on. It dropped to 395 when I started the truck, and it was at 304 by the time I returned home. The trip was 32 miles with a stop at the halfway point. The range for a full tank starts at 500+ and I am barely getting half that because so much fuel is being used for regen. My dealer is telling me everything is fine even though the check engine light comes on every month. I don't know what to do with my extremely expensive paperweight.
I’ve never experienced “normal” regen miles with my truck and since its been “fixed” it regens every 150-200 miles which is still not normal. When it was constantly regenerating my miles were typically 450-650 in regen and 10-30 out of regen. What I realized after a while is that the only time my truck would throw a code is if I drove it long enough for it to come out of regen and then go back into regen without stopping. The problem with that is it would sometimes go through an entire tank driving down the highway without ever coming out of regen so it also came down to timing.

AlexcumminsH.O

Reaction score

What I use to do is change the screen on the dashboard, and just leave it there to monitor when the truck is doing regen, I have a notebook on my truck and I just write the miles when start to regen and the miles when finish. If you are not on this screen you are not gonna be able to notice when your truck is on regen

Attachments

• 20240417_172838.jpg
    20240417_172838.jpg
    764.3 KB · Views: 7

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response, FCA basically told me to pound sand because I didn’t have enough repair attempts (6) or enough days without my vehicle (119). I went to a new dealer and they installed a new DPF and temp sensor. The issue sort of went away, as in it only regens every 150ish miles now instead of constant, but just the other day I got a message on the dash saying exhaust system requires repair see dealer. Light went off before I got to the dealer and they said they couldn’t do anything for me without the light being on, so that night I submitted all the documents for a lemon law claim. I haven’t heard anything back from that yet. As for the FCA contact info I just googled mopar buyback and all the info was on their website. I’d link to it but I’m on mobile and running around right now. I think I linked to it in a previous comment though.
If your going down the LL track then do not have any contact with the manufacturer concerning a buyback. That will complicate things and possibly nullify your LL case. This is what I got from my LL attorney. According to him it's an 'either/or' kind of thing.

Last edited:

Units

Reaction score

Keep it on the DPF screen as suggested and use one of your trip meters to track it, i.e. reset it every time a regen finishes. I just tell Siri to leave a note when it starts and what my miles and hrs are at according to the trip meter.
Did you say your truck has been to the dealer?
Try another one.
Do you have a case started with Ram care?
If you don’t you should.
Are you towing at all?

downsc123

Reaction score
For those of you having a hard time getting the dealer to look at your truck without an active CEL, I recommend you send a sample of you oil out for analysis - when it comes back critical, what will get their attention. I have 5000 miles on my current oil and regen every 200 miles (so I never get any CELs) - my sample came back at 7.7% fuel dilution which is at the critical level. I showed the dealer my results and they agreed something was wrong and agreed to look at it under warranty. For those of you regening every 100 miles or less, you are likely worse than my numbers which will be causing harm to your engine components.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
For those of you having a hard time getting the dealer to look at your truck without an active CEL, I recommend you send a sample of you oil out for analysis - when it comes back critical, what will get their attention. I have 5000 miles on my current oil and regen every 200 miles (so I never get any CELs) - my sample came back at 7.7% fuel dilution which is at the critical level. I showed the dealer my results and they agreed something was wrong and agreed to look at it under warranty. For those of you regening every 100 miles or less, you are likely worse than my numbers which will be causing harm to your engine components.
I second this. Oil analysis, especially if done at each oil change, can be very telling and persuasive. I have a brand new EGR cooler on my 2022 right now because I was able to demonstrate to my dealer that there was evidence that trace amounts of coolant was progressively getting into the engine oil over the course of several oil changes. They replaced the EGR cooler because it was their primary suspect. Upon removal they did see a small leak.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Who do I send it to? I don't know anything about this.
You can buy oil analysis kits from your local Cummins Sales & Service center, or directly from Amsoil. Both Cummins and Amsoil use Polaris Laboratories as their outside oil analysis lab. Polaris is exceptionally good at what they do, and has all of the state of the art equipment to do proper oil analysis. I bought mine from my local Cummins center. That way, when the results came back, they had the Cummins logo at the top of the report. That’s even more persuasive. IMG_5959.jpeg

downsc123

Reaction score
I second this. Oil analysis, especially if done at each oil change, can be very telling and persuasive. I have a brand new EGR cooler on my 2022 right now because I was able to demonstrate to my dealer that there was evidence that trace amounts of coolant was progressively getting into the engine oil over the course of several oil changes. They replaced the EGR cooler because it was their primary suspect. Upon removal they did see a small leak.
I may also have that problem too - the other other thing that flagged in my oil analysis was potassium at 61ppm (called level 2 abnormal) - thinking a very small coolant leak

Units

Reaction score
FWIW, The Genos kit also goes to Polaris Labs, however it does not include the postage to ship it. The kit posted from Amsoil also includes the prepaid shipping.
It appears the one from Amsoil also includes the TBN, which would make it cheaper than Blackstone with the $10 TBN add on.

Users who are viewing this thread