Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Regen too often

scdo

Reaction score
I haven’t pulled my manual out, but that’s not 6.7 info… which is obvious to me because our dipsticks take 2 quarts to go from add to full.

You need to let it sit longer, and only check it once in a time frame or you get false high readings.

EDIT: I posted that and recalled this coming up before. When Ram merged the diesel supplement into the owners manual they made some mistakes, this is one of them. Here is how it should read for a 6.7.

So, unintentional user error based on manual error.

View attachment 67011

I’ll bet the dealership doesn’t wait the 30 minutes. Hopefully they don’t take too much oil out.

They are also supposed to let it drain for 30 minutes and I doubt that happens.
Like I said, I waited 30 minutes or so on my last check.

Dealer confirmed it was over full and completely drained and refilled to correct level.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Like I said, I waited 30 minutes or so on my last check.

Yes, but the multiple checks in that 30 minute window can give a false high reading due to oil in the tube building up.

Dealer confirmed it was over full and completely drained and refilled to correct level.

Good. Hopefully they drained and filled it correctly this time. Let it sit overnight on a level surface and check it.

counter50strike

Reaction score
had the new MAF installed, made it about 120 miles before regen, and then got about 60 miles after regen before DPF went to 1/4. Its holding at 1/4 now but my oil level is way above the safe mark. I checked oil 30 minutes after shutdown, and its got a nice diesel fuel smell to it. I only have 3300 miles on this oil change. Going back to dealer for the 4th or 5th time...i lost count : |

For what its worth i do a good bit of highway driving. I've had the truck since mid-july and have 10k miles already. The slow drives I do make are usually 15-20 minutes 40-60 mph each way and I don't idle much, even though the counter says I do, but that thing is inaccurate or whatever metric they use to measure it is way off. This thing will ride 6th gear and lug at 900-1000 rpms and will not downshift unless you slam the pedal down. I know you can use gear lockout but that defeats the purpose of driving an auto doesn it? Not only are these trucks horrible with regen/emission issues, but the transmission programming is literal garbage. Im going to let the dealer mess with it a few more times and then proceed down the lemon route. The only issue I'm worried about is my truck will not throw a MIL/CEL for whatever reason, however i do have oil analysis showing high fuel dilution and plan on having another done soon.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
had the new MAF installed, made it about 120 miles before regen, and then got about 60 miles after regen before DPF went to 1/4. Its holding at 1/4 now but my oil level is way above the safe mark. I checked oil 30 minutes after shutdown, and its got a nice diesel fuel smell to it. I only have 3300 miles on this oil change. Going back to dealer for the 4th or 5th time...i lost count : |

For what its worth i do a good bit of highway driving. I've had the truck since mid-july and have 10k miles already. The slow drives I do make are usually 15-20 minutes 40-60 mph each way and I don't idle much, even though the counter says I do, but that thing is inaccurate or whatever metric they use to measure it is way off. This thing will ride 6th gear and lug at 900-1000 rpms and will not downshift unless you slam the pedal down. I know you can use gear lockout but that defeats the purpose of driving an auto doesn it? Not only are these trucks horrible with regen/emission issues, but the transmission programming is literal garbage. Im going to let the dealer mess with it a few more times and then proceed down the lemon route. The only issue I'm worried about is my truck will not throw a MIL/CEL for whatever reason, however i do have oil analysis showing high fuel dilution and plan on having another done soon.
Was that 120 mile regen triggered by soot load?

counter50strike

Reaction score
Was that 120 mile regen triggered by soot load?
Yep, watched DPF climb while on the interstate, once it hit right under the 50% mark it went into regen within a few minutes. The DPF stayed empty for a good bit but once it started climbing it went quick.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Your cover is blown now ;)

They need to scope your DPF. If everything upstream checks out, there’s a good chance you have one that’s coming apart internally.

Is Y43 complete on your truck?

counter50strike

Reaction score
Your cover is blown now ;)

They need to scope your DPF. If everything upstream checks out, there’s a good chance you have one that’s coming apart internally.

Is Y43 complete on your truck?
no to the recall, still no ETA on parts and ive been on the list for quite a while...something like 3 months

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Seems like eventually someone is going to have an epiphany (O-SH*T moment.)

This.

I cant believe no one has narrowed down this issue yet. I feel bad for the guys dealing with this on otherwise awesome trucks.

Sucks.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
This.

I cant believe no one has narrowed down this issue yet. I feel bad for the guys dealing with this on otherwise awesome trucks.

Sucks.
I think it comes down to the complexity of the regeneration process and how the emissions system integrates with the engine. There are so many independent systems that all have to function appropriately, otherwise you get regeneration issues. If any one of those is out of spec, the problem can start. Some of the failures can become vicious cycles. Take the fuel injectors for instance. A fuel injector that isn’t patterning correctly can cause the engine to produce more soot, which leads to more regeneration being necessary. At the same time, that same faulty injector is used to introduce fuel into the exhaust stream during a regen in order to raise the DPF temperature. If it’s not patterning correctly, it’s making more soot when running the engine, but also making regeneration less effective due to the fuel not being atomized properly. That same faulty injector can also greatly increase fuel dilution in the engine oil, which raises the oil level in the sump, which in turn causes the CCV system to draw more oil and vapor into the charge air system than normal….and on and on and on….

We’re not even considering the variables outside the truck like types of drive cycles, operator errors, faulty or substandard maintenance filters….

It’s a mess.

k72nova

Reaction score
I haven't been getting notifications for this thread so haven't been paying attention but it looks like a lot info going back and forth which is great!

Update on mine... I got info from the dealer that I was good to pick my truck up and it was fixed, yay! Nope I get 50 feet from the dealer and it goes into auto regen. Looking at the dash and my average is around 11MPG, I know that when my truck comes out of auto regen (usually for 10-15 miles at a time) that my average jumps to mid 13s so when they told me it had been driving for over 50 miles with no regen I feel like they were full of it and wanted it out of their hands. My STAR case got closed as repaired but I called my Ram Care case worker and told her it was not fixed, she noted it in my file and closed my case since the truck was no longer at the dealer. As a side note I took the truck back to the dealer after driving it down the highway for about 30 minutes hoping it was just a fluke that it went into regen, when I took it back to the dealer they said there was nothing they could do for me and that if it wasn't working now then they would have to wait for Chrysler to come out with a software update and that if I wanted I could park it on the side of their building but they wouldn't touch it.

At that point I decided to go through the informal arbitration process at this LINK what a waste that ended up being. I spent a few weeks gathering info and giving them loads of data. I had 5 repair attempts and over 100 days without my vehicle, lemon law in my state is 4 repair attempts and/or 30 days with the vehicle in repair. I made the mistake of doing a documents only arbitration, they made the decision that I hadn't had the vehicle in for repair enough times, or been without it long enough. They also said that this issue has no impact to the use, value, or safety of the vehicle.

About a week after getting my truck back I threw another P2459 CEL, the truck is now at a different dealership. I explained everything to them and gave them the notes form my last STAR case, they at least took a lot of notes and seemed to at least believe me when I told them what was happening unlike the other dealer that made me bring it in 4 times before taking me seriously.

I'm really hoping they get this figured out, if they can't then my next step is to formally file for lemon law through my state. Other than this issue I really like the truck so here's to hoping it gets figured out.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
If I’ve learned anything in the year 2023, it is that effective corporate response to these types of issues are anything but quick….and sometimes less than stellar when it comes to a resolution.

Did you document your trucks issue on my tracking sheet?

k72nova

Reaction score
If I’ve learned anything in the year 2023, it is that effective corporate response to these types of issues are anything but quick….and sometimes less than stellar when it comes to a resolution.

Did you document your trucks issue on my tracking sheet?
I did not, I remember you saying you were going to get something together but I might have missed it. Do you have a link?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I did not, I remember you saying you were going to get something together but I might have missed it. Do you have a link?
Yeah I have it on this thread:

k72nova

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll have to wait till I get the truck back from the dealer but I'll get it filled out once I have it back.

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Been following this thread. For your consideration is my 2022 CTD. It’s not my daily driver, has 9000 miles in the 2 years I’ve owned it. I’d estimate 6000 of those are tow miles with right the 5er or the boat. The other would be mixed driving. I’ve never seen the DPF gauge come off of zero. Am I lucky or am I just waiting for the storm to hit ? Feel bad for all of you with so many issues.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Been following this thread. For your consideration is my 2022 CTD. It’s not my daily driver, has 9000 miles in the 2 years I’ve owned it. I’d estimate 6000 of those are tow miles with right the 5er or the boat. The other would be mixed driving. I’ve never seen the DPF gauge come off of zero. Am I lucky or am I just waiting for the storm to hit ? Feel bad for all of you with so many issues.
If your truck is towing 67% of the time, it should theoretically always have a DPF with little or no soot in it. Towing generates substantially more load on the engine and therefore increases the EGT’s. This burns the soot out of the DPF through passive regeneration, and at a much faster pace than driving around unloaded. Sounds like your truck is operating as intended. I would be more concerned with the DEF’s shelf life expiring in the tank. With so little use.

Users who are viewing this thread