Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Regen too often

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
If your truck is towing 67% of the time, it should theoretically always have a DPF with little or no soot in it. Towing generates substantially more load on the engine and therefore increases the EGT’s. This burns the soot out of the DPF through passive regeneration, and at a much faster pace than driving around unloaded. Sounds like your truck is operating as intended. I would be more concerned with the DEF’s shelf life expiring in the tank. With so little use.
What are my options there. DEF gauge reads about 1/2 right now. I take it out once every 3-4 weeks just to keep the batteries up, etc. Really won’t be using it much til late April or early May.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
What are my options there. DEF gauge reads about 1/2 right now. I take it out once every 3-4 weeks just to keep the batteries up, etc. Really won’t be using it much til late April or early May.
Best advice I could give would be to only put enough DEF in it to satisfy the amount of use you plan to get out of the truck in a given timeframe. When it goes into storage or sits for a long time, make sure the DEF that gets put in the tank is as new as possible. Preferably by checking the date codes on the 2.5 gallon jugs. Theoretically DEF has a two year shelf life under the most ideal storage conditions, however most real world practical applications are far from ideal. You should be able to make it last a year as long as it’s not seeing substantial heat or cold. I’d run it down to about 1/4 or so and then add some fresh stuff if it’s going to sit a while.

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Best advice I could give would be to only put enough DEF in it to satisfy the amount of use you plan to get out of the truck in a given timeframe. When it goes into storage or sits for a long time, make sure the DEF that gets put in the tank is as new as possible. Preferably by checking the date codes on the 2.5 gallon jugs. Theoretically DEF has a two year shelf life under the most ideal storage conditions, however most real world practical applications are far from ideal. You should be able to make it last a year as long as it’s not seeing substantial heat or cold. I’d run it down to about 1/4 or so and then add some fresh stuff if it’s going to sit a while.
Sounds good thanks for the info. Truck sits in my shop out of the cold and sunlight when not in use. DEF was last added early fall before hunting season. Should be good to go til April/May when towing season starts up for me.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds good thanks for the info. Truck sits in my shop out of the cold and sunlight when not in use. DEF was last added early fall before hunting season. Should be good to go til April/May when towing season starts up for me.
If in doubt, you could always draw out a small amount of the fluid in the tank and run it through a refractometer. There are several inexpensive ones available online. That would at least let you know where the fluid stands before you run the truck. The downside to the current system is that there is no easy way to drain the tank if the fluid inside is going south. Have to pull the bottom of the tank and drain it the hard way.

GitToDeChoppah

Reaction score
Last month I had the too frequent regen CEL... right at 1500 miles... I hadn't been paying attention before then, but after I noticed a regen every 125-150 miles. 90% higway miles, 70+... Not much idling or city driving. I called the dealer and it took a few weeks to get seen. They had it for about a week and say it needs a new DPF. Backorder of course...

scdo

Reaction score
So I’ve had my new DPF for maybe 1,000 miles. With a lot of city driving it still regens every 100-200 miles. However, I just went on a 300 mile road trip and it didn’t move off of 0% the entire time.

Hoping it is fixed and I’ll have to try to minimize my city driving … not 100% possible as it is my daily right now.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
So I’ve had my new DPF for maybe 1,000 miles. With a lot of city driving it still regens every 100-200 miles. However, I just went on a 300 mile road trip and it didn’t move off of 0% the entire time.

Hoping it is fixed and I’ll have to try to minimize my city driving … not 100% possible as it is my daily right now.
How much is “a lot” of city driving?

scdo

Reaction score
How much is “a lot” of city driving?
In one case, it was probably 100% stop and go and it regened after 130 miles. Another case was prob 75% stop/go and it happened after 175.

scdo

Reaction score
In one case, it was probably 100% stop and go and it regened after 130 miles. Another case was prob 75% stop/go and it happened after 175.
To clarify further… prior to the new DPF, it didn’t matter how I drove. If unloaded it would regen every 30-100 miles (even when mostly highway).

jak

Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if my DPF gauge is working? It has never gone above zero and I have had no indication of a regen. I do only use this truck for towing and trips, (have a beater for around town.) Not complaining just curious seeing as some folks are having such problems.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if my DPF gauge is working? It has never gone above zero and I have had no indication of a regen. I do only use this truck for towing and trips, (have a beater for around town.) Not complaining just curious seeing as some folks are having such problems.

It’s likely working fine. Living on 0% is good thing and it’s not hard to miss the active regen message when you’re mostly towing and just hit the 24 hour active regen.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Mine doesn't move off 0 unless I'm doing a lot of town driving.

Reactions: jak

Kehlers

Reaction score
Well from what I'm reading the lemon law for my state is a buyback for purchase price less $.10-$.25 per mile driven which is roughly $2,800 for me. I submitted my case for arbitration and the information they gave me was that if we come to an agreement then FCA would cut a check that would pay off the loan just like if you were to sell it to someone else and then the remainder would just go into my bank account. BUT Since I submitted the case for arbitration it isn't a lemon law buyback but a potential agreement of other terms with FCA, what that means exactly I'm not 100% sure of but it is a free process that I don't have to accept the terms of (the only terms I selected on the form was a buyback). If I'm not happy with the terms that we come to then I will likely hire a lawyer to send the lemon law paperwork to FCA. I'm really hoping that we can come to an agreement instead of going the lawyer route, I want to keep it as civil as possible.
Have you gotten the buy back information back from FCA yet? We have had our 2022 Ram in multiple times for regen issues and will be taking it back again next Thursday. They updated software and replaced a sensor that was a recall and did have a Star report open in the past. Here we are again with our truck constantly regen about every 75-100 miles or so. We have a little over 30,000 miles on ours we drive it a lot and also haul farm equipment nothing too heavy throughout the year and also have a dump trailer we haul stuff with quite often. Just curious where I should start. How do I contact FCA?

jebruns

Reaction score
Have you gotten the buy back information back from FCA yet? We have had our 2022 Ram in multiple times for regen issues and will be taking it back again next Thursday. They updated software and replaced a sensor that was a recall and did have a Star report open in the past. Here we are again with our truck constantly regen about every 75-100 miles or so. We have a little over 30,000 miles on ours we drive it a lot and also haul farm equipment nothing too heavy throughout the year and also have a dump trailer we haul stuff with quite often. Just curious where I should start. How do I contact FCA?
The arbitration info should be in your owners manual/packet. I went through that process with a Ford 3/4 ton a few years back. Worked out great.
Edit: Here's a link, see step 3.

AlexcumminsH.O

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope someone read my commment, I have a 2022 ram 3500, 15,000 miles on it, and it's doing regen every 100 miles, somebody know if this problem have a solution already???

k72nova

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response, FCA basically told me to pound sand because I didn’t have enough repair attempts (6) or enough days without my vehicle (119). I went to a new dealer and they installed a new DPF and temp sensor. The issue sort of went away, as in it only regens every 150ish miles now instead of constant, but just the other day I got a message on the dash saying exhaust system requires repair see dealer. Light went off before I got to the dealer and they said they couldn’t do anything for me without the light being on, so that night I submitted all the documents for a lemon law claim. I haven’t heard anything back from that yet. As for the FCA contact info I just googled mopar buyback and all the info was on their website. I’d link to it but I’m on mobile and running around right now. I think I linked to it in a previous comment though.

GitToDeChoppah

Reaction score
I was running into this myself on a brand new 2023 3500. I brought it to the dealer because the too frequent regen code threw an CEL with only 1500 miles. It was in regen ever 100 miles or so.. They broke the air box while they were running their diag. They replaced it and ordered a new dpf, but it was on back order. They gave me back the truck while we waited for the new dpf and it no longer regens frequently. I’ve driven it about 1500 miles and it only regenerated once, and I think that was the standard 24 hour engine hour regen since the gauge was empty. Replacing the air box must have resolved my issue, or something else the tech did while doing his diag… at least for now.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late response, FCA basically told me to pound sand because I didn’t have enough repair attempts (6) or enough days without my vehicle (119). I went to a new dealer and they installed a new DPF and temp sensor. The issue sort of went away, as in it only regens every 150ish miles now instead of constant, but just the other day I got a message on the dash saying exhaust system requires repair see dealer. Light went off before I got to the dealer and they said they couldn’t do anything for me without the light being on, so that night I submitted all the documents for a lemon law claim. I haven’t heard anything back from that yet. As for the FCA contact info I just googled mopar buyback and all the info was on their website. I’d link to it but I’m on mobile and running around right now. I think I linked to it in a previous comment though.
150 miles between regenerations is far from fixed.
Sounds like the issue was upstream and the new DPF was a bandaid (which is common with dealers who won’t properly diagnose the issue)

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope someone read my commment, I have a 2022 ram 3500, 15,000 miles on it, and it's doing regen every 100 miles, somebody know if this problem have a solution already???
There’s multiple solutions to the issue. It depends on which part (or parts) of the system are malfunctioning. There’s a laundry list of systems that have to be inspected in order to determine what’s causing the frequent regen issue.

AlexcumminsH.O

Reaction score
There’s multiple solutions to the issue. It depends on which part (or parts) of the system are malfunctioning. There’s a laundry list of systems that have to be inspected in order to determine what’s causing the frequent regen issue.
Thanks, I think I'm gonna start with the air filter

Users who are viewing this thread