Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attaching chains to hitch Ram class IV/V hitch

BAT3500

Reaction score
You can easily carabiners rated over 5000 lb. Small utility or boat trailers often have chains or cables rated for less than that. All you gotta do is use something equal to strength of the trailer chain or cable and not prone to vibrating off or open in transit. Anything more is really wasted effort, the weekest link will fail.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
IMG_6925.png
Hmmm if they are clearly marked not “NOT FOR LIFTING” one would think that they are not suitable for catching a trailer either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Here one sold for this exact use.

CURT 81288 Snap Hook Trailer Safety Chain Hook Carabiner Clip, 9/16-Inch Diameter, 5,000 lbs​

Amazon'sChoicefor "trailer chain hooks"

1. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LOI69C/ref=d6k_applink?dplnk=Y&tag=mshop-android-amazon-preload-deeplink-freetraffic-pre-us-20&ptag=mshop-android-att-samsung-all-phone-pre-us-20#
May be available at a lower price from
here is what i use but 1/2” chain rated at 20k my smaller trailers i use 5/16 chains good for 7k

Attachments

• F8B97752-5D2C-43E6-AA89-B76CD4A8DBF9.png
    F8B97752-5D2C-43E6-AA89-B76CD4A8DBF9.png
    332.7 KB · Views: 16

dave41079

Reaction score
Actual reputable carabiners will be rated in kN ratings for short side, long side open, and long side closed. Stainless locking gate carabiners are very easy to find in 44kN ratings along their long side while locked. That equates to almost 10,000lbs. I've never looked for anything stronger, as I really haven't had a need to.
Screenshot_20210125-163756_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210125-163856_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210125-163914_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210125-163923_Chrome.jpg

It's also a WLL and obviously shock loads are much higher than the WLL. I'm not saying anyone should use carabiners, just clarifying some information to make us all smarter.

Johnnynapalm

Reaction score
Hey everyone! New to the forum so this might be answered... I have a 2020 3500. Love this truck. And we have an Airstream. Towing the AS before, I had a Durango SRT and the E2 weight distribution hitch was at its lowest point so everything (with air bag support in the Durango) was almost level.
Will the WD hitch work with my Ram? It is so much taller! Or what hitch do you tow with?
Thanks everyone!!!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hey everyone! New to the forum so this might be answered... I have a 2020 3500. Love this truck. And we have an Airstream. Towing the AS before, I had a Durango SRT and the E2 weight distribution hitch was at its lowest point so everything (with air bag support in the Durango) was almost level.
Will the WD hitch work with my Ram? It is so much taller! Or what hitch do you tow with?
Thanks everyone!!!
Just buy a regular hitch with the proper drop no need for any fancy hitches

John Jensen

Reaction score
Not bad advise its how i have been doing it for many many years towing 40+ ft park models
You've been lucky. I have seen so many jack-knifed or rollovers because they ran into an emergency situation and were towing without a "fancy hitch".

I'm hoping your luck continues. Also hoping the PO ignores your advice.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You've been lucky. I have seen so many jack-knifed or rollovers because they ran into an emergency situation and were towing without a "fancy hitch".

I'm hoping your luck continues. Also hoping the PO ignores your advice.
You are delusional if you think a wd hitch will change an emergency maneuver unless ofcouse your trailer is loaded tail heavy....

John Jensen

Reaction score
Not delusional. Been there done that. Seen many who have also done that.
Sure there may be cases where the WDH didn't prevent an emergency maneuver crash but there are so , so many incidents where a WDH did allow an emergency maneuver without incident.

But it seems you are unable to accept a contradiction - I'm out.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Not delusional. Been there done that. Seen many who have also done that.
Sure there may be cases where the WDH didn't prevent an emergency maneuver crash but there are so , so many incidents where a WDH did allow an emergency maneuver without incident.

But it seems you are unable to accept a contradiction - I'm out.
All a wdh does is spread weight out across the vehicle chassis nothing more if you are within your safe load for the truck you dont need one.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Well, if I ever get a heavier tow behind, I will follow RAM recomendation and use a weight distribution hitch.

As to the name calling, what are you in elementary school? Calling someone names from behind a keyboard means I will not respect you.

John Jensen

Reaction score
All a wdh does is spread weight out across the vehicle chassis nothing more if you are within your safe load for the truck you dont need one.
Wrong again. You may want to watch this. Equal-I-Zer, Curt, Reese and others offer more. Hope this helps your knowledge base.
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/how-equalizer-works

By the way, I had emergency situations many years ago when WDH only distributed the weight and they saved me from being out of control and jackknives or roll overs.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well, if I ever get a heavier tow behind, I will follow RAM recomendation and use a weight distribution hitch.

As to the name calling, what are you in elementary school? Calling someone names from behind a keyboard means I will not respect you.
No one called anyone a name....

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Wrong again. You may want to watch this. Equal-I-Zer, Curt, Reese and others offer more. Hope this helps your knowledge base.
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/how-equalizer-works

By the way, I had emergency situations many years ago when WDH only distributed the weight and they saved me from being out of control and jackknives or roll overs.
Thats more than just a wdh that also has sway control.... if you dont feel comfotable towing without a WDH thats your choice there is no law requiring it but there is no reason to tell someone to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on a hitch they most likely do not need...

John Jensen

Reaction score
Spin it any way you want.
You don't comprehend what you read. I didn't tell someone to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on a hitch they most likely do not need. I only said you were giving bad advice.

Users who are viewing this thread