Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attaching chains to hitch Ram class IV/V hitch

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Lately I have pulled a few different trailers for a few folks with different chains to attach to my truck. Thestock hitch with the flat round metal is too small for most hooks to pass through. And the hooks re the type that loops back and attaches to the chain, so they do not hook to the metal s eyes. I guess I will have to run some chain through those eyes on the truck side and attach the trailer chains to that. The chain I use will be equal to or heavier than those metal rings are.

My one cargo trailer I changed to fit my truck already. But I cannot change other folks trailers.

Suggestions?

BAT3500

Reaction score
1610113605557.png
I used some of these in past. Hook clips to holes in the truck trailer hitch then hook trailer chains to clip.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I would suggest a good heavy duty set of D-Ring Shackles. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Autmatch-Sha...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

While the carabiner idea would allow the connection, I don't think they have the shear strength to hold up in the event they were actually needed. They may have the weight capacity in a static situation, but when the proverbial poo hits the fan, I wouldn't have faith they'd hold up.

BAT3500

Reaction score
Any of these ideas work as long as the ring or clip is just a little stronger than the trailer chain rating.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I would suggest a good heavy duty set of D-Ring Shackles. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Autmatch-Sha...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

While the carabiner idea would allow the connection, I don't think they have the shear strength to hold up in the event they were actually needed. They may have the weight capacity in a static situation, but when the proverbial poo hits the fan, I wouldn't have faith they'd hold up.
The carabiner works for the cargo trailer behind my motorcycle. Thnks for the pointers on the others.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Shackles are the best because if **** does hit the fan your good they have a WLL for a reason anything that does not have a WLL can be subject to fines aswell from DOT the shackles i use are 3/4” and good for 4 ton each

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Shackles are the best because if **** does hit the fan your good they have a WLL for a reason anything that does not have a WLL can be subject to fines aswell from DOT the shackles i use are 3/4” and good for 4 ton each
I'm betting the shackles are stronger than the mounting points on the hitch.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I shakles initially appear to be stronger that the hitch chain mount points.

BAT3500

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that typical safety chain for most utility type trailers the ratings start at 3500 lb. So a 4 ton shackle may would look nice but would be way overboard for the intended use. Just using something that matches the chain or cable rating is all thats needed.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that typical safety chain for most utility type trailers the ratings start at 3500 lb. So a 4 ton shackle may would look nice but would be way overboard for the intended use. Just using something that matches the chain or cable rating is all thats needed.
My home built flatdeck is good for 14k the chains are rated at 20k so having 16k rating between both shackes is not overboard i get most people dont tow such trailers like i do but id always rather have more of a safety net than less

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I put shackles on mine just something from the local ranch supply house.

I think I used a 1/2" 2-ton shackle.

Last edited:

Frank

Reaction score
There is a reason boat anchors are secured with shackles and not carabiners. With road vibration, etc. I'm not trusting the carabiner to stay closed. Lots of horror stories out there.

dave41079

Reaction score
There is a reason boat anchors are secured with shackles and not carabiners. With road vibration, etc. I'm not trusting the carabiner to stay closed. Lots of horror stories out there.
Because of galvanic corrosion?

Shackles easily come apart with vibration also, I don't care how tight you think you have it. Safety wire or a zip the through the hole in the pin back around the shackle can prevent that though.

Frank

Reaction score

Shackles easily come apart with vibration also, I don't care how tight you think you have it. Safety wire or a zip the through the hole in the pin back around the shackle can prevent that though.

You can get galvanized or stainless carabiners same as shackles, and they will even slap "marine grade" on there for anyone willing to pay triple. Most towing specific shackles come with a locking pin.

I do have a little bit of trouble getting my camper chains on this truck, but I can say the same about every truck I have owned. I don't think this one if any worse, just different.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Some have a cotter pin but the ones that dont do not come apart easy with vibration they are designed not to. I work in the mining industry we use shackles daily even putting them hand tight they require a tool to crack loose after use

and as far as i know i have never even heard of a caribener thats rated for more than 300lbs....

Jarred

Reaction score
Some have a cotter pin but the ones that dont do not come apart easy with vibration they are designed not to. I work in the mining industry we use shackles daily even putting them hand tight they require a tool to crack loose after use

and as far as i know i have never even heard of a caribener thats rated for more than 300lbs....
There are carabiners rated at higher than 300lbs. We would use them for hoist during Medevac missions which had a weight limit of 600lbs on the hoist mount. The carabiners themselves were rated for way higher though.

Example at 5000lbs: https://www.guardianfall.com/perfor...ories/product/locking-high-strength-carabiner

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread