Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articulink? Technical discussion

el_barto

Reaction score
Actually I am unsure which bushing goes where. The Ram part numbers/descriptions are sometimes difficult to follow.
68205913AA is definitely power wagon specific. But not sure if they are the same one used upper and lower, or if this one is just upper, and 68480121AA is used lower( this PN seems like it may be used on regular rams…but not certain.)

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
In order for the power wagon radius arm to have more flex than a standard radius arm it needs to have either a bushing with more range of motion or the radius arm itself needs to have less torsional rigidity.

The flex-limiting point on a radius arm set up is the frame side bushing. I don’t know what a power wagon arm has, but Us non-power-wagon folks have a vulcanized rubber bushing that twists when the axle droops.

So let’s Say your new single radius arm has a Johnny joint or some other high angle capable joint and you install it on the right side, you have only increased your droop on the opposite side (left) tire. The factory arm sill still bind when you droop the other tire. You’ve only increased your “flex” on one side of your rig while simultaneously making the body roll profile asymmetrical.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
In order for the power wagon radius arm to have more flex than a standard radius arm it needs to have either a bushing with more range of motion or the radius arm itself needs to have less torsional rigidity.

The flex-limiting point on a radius arm set up is the frame side bushing. I don’t know what a power wagon arm has, but Us non-power-wagon folks have a vulcanized rubber bushing that twists when the axle droops.

So let’s Say your new single radius arm has a Johnny joint or some other high angle capable joint and you install it on the right side, you have only increased your droop on the opposite side (left) tire. The factory arm sill still bind when you droop the other tire. You’ve only increased your “flex” on one side of your rig while simultaneously making the body roll profile asymmetrical.
I can see the power wagon arms having more flex due to the upper part of the radius arm having a second bushing it can leverage for flex but i can see it making a huge difference…. I also have the same thought with the single arm swap ideology as both work in tandem not separate from each other….. also the extra torsional axle wrap of one extra captured bushing is hard to fathom

Lumpskie

Reaction score

I originally thought my limit was that rear bushing too. But, here's a closeup of it at full flex with swaybar removed. To me, it looks like it has more to give:

wYQHWOZh.jpg

That being said, I am curious to see if the PW has a narrower outer with the center of the bushing holding it in place. That would allow for more motion. My running theory is still more freedom of motion for the axle to roll since it has that additional pivot. If I get 3 more inches of vertical climb, it will be a win for me. I'll be sure to post up here, when I get everything together.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I originally thought my limit was that rear bushing too. But, here's a closeup of it at full flex with swaybar removed. To me, it looks like it has more to give:

wYQHWOZh.jpg

That being said, I am curious to see if the PW has a narrower outer with the center of the bushing holding it in place. That would allow for more motion. My running theory is still more freedom of motion for the axle to roll since it has that additional pivot. If I get 3 more inches of vertical climb, it will be a win for me. I'll be sure to post up here, when I get everything together.
If it has more to give then the radius arm wouldn’t be what was limiting you

However, I think that’s about all you can expect out of that particular bushing. I don’t think she’s got any more to give you

Lumpskie

Reaction score
If it has more to give then the radius arm wouldn’t be what was limiting you

However, I think that’s about all you can expect out of that particular bushing. I don’t think she’s got any more to give you
I'll be sure to compare bushings when the PW version gets here.
You think I'll still max out at 19.5" with that radius arm? Do you think running 2 power wagon arms would net me any gain? (without changing springs or shocks) Honestly, I don't know. My bet is that I'll get a few inches and that the arm will help with the compression side... that that gain will send me down a long hard road of researching spring rates and ideal shock lengths...

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
There is a video on YouTube where they ran a current day PW up the ramp. Both with the sway bar connected and agin with it disconnected.
So you can get some base line numbers from that

Lumpskie

Reaction score
There is a video on YouTube where they ran a current day PW up the ramp. Both with the sway bar connected and agin with it disconnected.
So you can get some base line numbers from that
Your thought is the same as mine. I ran across the video below after testing my rig. I got 16.5" of climb with my swaybar connected and 19.5" with it disonnected. Then, I saw this video and they got 23.5" with the swaybar connected and 26.5" with it disconnected. I know that some of the difference is the stiffer springs on my diesel. That being said, I knew there was more than springs at play here. So, that got me started looking at radius arms. If I got 23" with my rig, I would be estatic.

jadmt

Reaction score
when we use a rti ramp we always measure from the center of the hub straight down. In the video he was measuring forward of that so make sure your measurements are apples to apples. Measuring where the guy in the video marked the ramp will give higher numbers than if marked straight down from center of hub. Reason you should use center of hub is because wheelbase is one of the factors. Clear as mud i know

Lumpskie

Reaction score
when we use a rti ramp we always measure from the center of the hub straight down. In the video he was measuring forward of that so make sure your measurements are apples to apples. Measuring where the guy in the video marked the ramp will give higher numbers than if marked straight down from center of hub. Reason you should use center of hub is because wheelbase is one of the factors. Clear as mud i know
Yeah, you are right. I figure that gave them a inch or so higher value than what I would measure.

PMHQ

Reaction score
I am a little late in the thread...I ordered a Carli Suspension from CJC and they told me that their PW still has the factory Articulink in it and it works well...I was going to get the Carli Radius Arms but they sorta talked me out of it saying that the factory system works very very well and there is no need to replace the factory arms unless you drive a NON Power Wagon truck...It saved me a lot of money, and I was able to buy other things for my rig...Give them a call and they can answer any questions you may have concerning these arms..I do know that they are very knowledgeable and will not steer you wrong. Have a great Thanksgiving! Stay Blessed!

MDethloff

Reaction score
Thanks for the information; this is great news! I really like the idea of only using 1 articulink radius arm. That matches with what I did on my 80 series Land Cruiser, using a single "superflex" radius arm. I'm guessing that axle wrap is only a concern when towing heavy in 4wd. (correct me if I'm wrong) So, in most towing cases, it wouldn't be a concern. Ok, last couple of questions... Do you Power Wagon owners ever swap out your radius arms for something else? (is there a way for me to get one used?) Or, do I need to buy one new? If I was to buy one new, is the dealer the only place I could get one? Or is there a better online source for one?

Thanks for all of your help! This forum is great.
Axle wrap itself isn't so much an issue, but when your tires break traction it becomes axle hop, which is the easiest (and almost exclusive) way to break axle shafts in these trucks. Very easy to get axle wrap in snow. This is a combination of rolling the axles because of bushing deflection, and then losing tire traction on the ground and the axle(s) unloading. The best solution is airing tires down and using good driving habits, and knowing when you just aren't going to do well in the terrain you're in.
I’m confused. This is actually a thing? Just swapping one arm? Does it only benefit half as much as both?

Not trying to be an ass. Just honesty don’t understand.
It's a thing, but it's a rarely applied tool for vehicles that are playing the uncommon middle ground where replacing both arms would cause too much chassis roll, and replacing only one permits enough articulation to do what they need.
I would too. I'd be happy to update this thread with my new numbers if I can get my hands on an articulink radius arm.

I don't want to take this too far but I read that the power wagon had unique ID rear control arms as well. I wonder if the rear control arms allow for more motion than standard 2500s. Has anyone flexed their truck out and measured the compressed and extended lengths versus flat on the ground? I did a quick test last weekend and measured the space in my bump stops here:

The rear control arms I believe are mechanically and dimensionally the same, with the differences pertaining to bracket location or some other tiny thing like that. The Power Wagons also have unique frame p/n's but the differences are just the installation of nut-serts in certain holes that exist in all frames, that are used to attach the skid plates, as far as I have found.
Would it be worth / feasible making a radius arm with Johnny joints? You would get more articulation and 0 axle wrap something like 2” DOM 1/4 wall would be more than enough then you can run 2 replacement arms
The problem is that the front joints are installed into the axle rather than the radius arm. Those are where you would get articulation, and there isn't an easy way to 'upgrade' them to something with more deflection.
Hmmm... wonder if those are bigger bushings I have in my front axle...

@MDethloff Do you know?
Should be the same bushings, we had an answer for the different bushing p/n a while ago and I can't remember what it was. I believe it's the third bushing that exists inside the radius arm end of the articulink that is different from the bushings that go into the axle bracket.
This talk about swapping out one radius arm to get more flex is nonsense
I understand how it sounds backwards, but the advantage of adding one articulink is that by reducing the resistance of that one side, you then transfer that much more load to the existing factory-arm side, which then creates more deflection. You're just reducing the amount of force put out by one arm, which allows the same sum-total force of the entire system to then by unevenly distributed towards the existing factory arm, where in the completely factory system all that force would be more evenly distributed between both arms. It works. Lots of guys have found success with it. I get where you're coming from though.

As an application example for you guys, the shop truck is a 2019 2500 Cummins that has power wagon coils on both axles and the front swaybar removed, and it's an extremely stable truck with pretty minimal articulation. The radius arms make a huge difference. If you take a regular 2500, leave the 2500 coils installed, take the swaybar off, and put a jack under one radius arm knuckle, that axle stays pretty dang level as you jack it up even though the load is offset to one side.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The problem is that the front joints are installed into the axle rather than the radius arm. Those are where you would get articulation, and there isn't an easy way to 'upgrade' them to something with more deflection.
Jeeps are like that its easy to make a ”fork” style arm to use the oem axle bushings and a JJ at the frame mount

el_barto

Reaction score
Axle wrap itself isn't so much an issue, but when your tires break traction it becomes axle hop, which is the easiest (and almost exclusive) way to break axle shafts in these trucks. Very easy to get axle wrap in snow. This is a combination of rolling the axles because of bushing deflection, and then losing tire traction on the ground and the axle(s) unloading. The best solution is airing tires down and using good driving habits, and knowing when you just aren't going to do well in the terrain you're in.
So there’s not really a mechanical upgrade solution to the power hop? The oem power hop damper doesn’t seem to really do much, I get brutal power hop under even light throttle sometimes in snow/ice

Lumpskie

Reaction score
@MDethloff Thank you, once again, for the really helpful information. Have you ever seen a standard 2500 run stock rate springs, with the front swaybar removed and a single articulink radius arm? I am considering doing that or running a softer swaybar up front. (Mopar website still lists my status as "on order" a week later... is that a reason for concern?)

jetrinka

Reaction score
So there’s not really a mechanical upgrade solution to the power hop? The oem power hop damper doesn’t seem to really do much, I get brutal power hop under even light throttle sometimes in snow/ice

I also have experienced this. I've just learned to not give her the beans especially from a stop in inclement weather

el_barto

Reaction score
I also have experienced this. I've just learned to not give her the beans especially from a stop in inclement weather
Sometimes even with a tender throttle input it hops like a bunny on meth.

Wheeling in the snow a few weeks ago it was really bad trying to get up one hill . Had chains on the rear wheels, not sure if that was making it worse.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Sometimes even with a tender throttle input it hops like a bunny on meth.

Wheeling in the snow a few weeks ago it was really bad trying to get up one hill . Had chains on the rear wheels, not sure if that was making it worse.

I haven't actually had mine in snow yet so we'll see how it goes. Planning on trying to go find some deep mountain snow either this weekend or next.

Users who are viewing this thread