Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articulink? Technical discussion

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I'm a regular ram owner who was redirected to this thread. I am curious on the dimensions of the power wagon articulink radius arms to see if they could be installed on a regular ram like mine. Does anyone have the distance between the front to bolts, the length to the rear and the bolt size? I'd like to compare to my ram.

Edit: it looks like there might be a unique rubber bushing is actually mounted to the axle... if that is right, no swap is possible without modifying either the axle housing or creating a custom arm. Could anyone share the dimensions of that bushing too?

Thanks

Last edited:

MDethloff

Reaction score
I'm a regular ram owner who was redirected to this thread. I am curious on the dimensions of the power wagon articulink radius arms to see if they could be installed on a regular ram like mine. Does anyone have the distance between the front to bolts, the length to the rear and the bolt size? I'd like to compare to my ram.

Edit: it looks like there might be a unique rubber bushing is actually mounted to the axle... if that is right, no swap is possible without modifying either the axle housing or creating a custom arm. Could anyone share the dimensions of that bushing too?

Thanks
Yes, you can install the Articulink arms into any Ram. They are a direct swap that just requires the new arm. There are diesel guys with regular 2500's running the Articulink, the bushings are installed into the axle itself so you don't need to do any swapping on that side.

As to the efficacy of swapping the articulink, that's more of a discussion. They allow more articulation, and axle wrap; generally I would advise that if you have a diesel you just swap a single articulink arm and leave the other side with a regular 2500 arm, or if you have a Gas truck you can swap both arms. The diesel has enough weight that swapping both arms allows too much body sway, where just swapping a single arm offers the benefits of articulation with the chassis stability you'd want.

Last edited:

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Yes, you can install the Articulink arms into any Ram. They are a direct swap that just requires the new arm. There are diesel guys with regular 2500's running the Articulink, the bushings are installed into the axle itself so you don't need to do any swapping on that side.

As to the efficacy of swapping the articulink, that's more of a discussion. They allow more articulation, and axle wrap; generally I would advise that if you have a diesel you just swap a single articulink arm and leave the other side with a regular 2500 arm, or if you have a Gas truck you can swap both arms. The diesel has enough weight that swapping both arms allows too much body sway, where just swapping a single arm offers the benefits of articulation with the chassis stability you'd want.

Thanks for the information; this is great news! I really like the idea of only using 1 articulink radius arm. That matches with what I did on my 80 series Land Cruiser, using a single "superflex" radius arm. I'm guessing that axle wrap is only a concern when towing heavy in 4wd. (correct me if I'm wrong) So, in most towing cases, it wouldn't be a concern. Ok, last couple of questions... Do you Power Wagon owners ever swap out your radius arms for something else? (is there a way for me to get one used?) Or, do I need to buy one new? If I was to buy one new, is the dealer the only place I could get one? Or is there a better online source for one?

Thanks for all of your help! This forum is great.

jadmt

Reaction score
Thanks for the information; this is great news! I really like the idea of only using 1 articulink radius arm. That matches with what I did on my 80 series Land Cruiser, using a single "superflex" radius arm. I'm guessing that axle wrap is only a concern when towing heavy in 4wd. (correct me if I'm wrong) So, in most towing cases, it wouldn't be a concern. Ok, last couple of questions... Do you Power Wagon owners ever swap out your radius arms for something else? (is there a way for me to get one used?) Or, do I need to buy one new? If I was to buy one new, is the dealer the only place I could get one? Or is there a better online source for one?

Thanks for all of your help! This forum is great.
there are a lot of people who have done the Carli suspensions that replace it. look for someone who has a carli and ask if they want to sell them.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
there are a lot of people who have done the Carli suspensions that replace it. look for someone who has a carli and ask if they want to sell them.
Good to know! I'll post a WTB thread in the classifieds here, just in case. Thanks for the help, everyone.

jetrinka

Reaction score

I’m confused. This is actually a thing? Just swapping one arm? Does it only benefit half as much as both?

Not trying to be an ass. Just honesty don’t understand.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I’m confused. This is actually a thing? Just swapping one arm? Does it only benefit half as much as both?

Not trying to be an ass. Just honesty don’t understand.

It's a pretty common thing in the Land Cruiser community. While articulating with radius arms, the compression side wants to roll the axle backwards and the extension side wants to roll it forwards. They very quickly bind and the suspension stops articulating any further. In Australia, the commonly replace one radius arm with a different design, which has more available movement in it. The aftermarket arm will permit the other stock style arm to force the axle against it. The result is that, in acceleration (where both arms are working together) you don't sacrifice too much, allowing the axle to rotate. But, when articulating, the aftermarket arm's freedom of motion provides a lot more flex. I won't pollute this thread too much with LC stuff, but here's my 80 with 1 stock arm and one "superflex" arm on it:

Stock arm on the close side and superflex on the opposite (passenger) side:

Xdans39h.jpg

Flex:

zXNoyBzh.jpg

xTAYrxhh.jpg

JYPMgUgh.jpg

jetrinka

Reaction score
So in a Landcruiser world where things don’t have a heavy Cummins overhead, why just swap one arm? Why not both?

Lumpskie

Reaction score
So in a Landcruiser world where things don’t have a heavy Cummins overhead, why just swap one arm? Why not both?
My Cruiser is powered by a 1hdt diesel. It's an inline 6, like the Cummins... just smaller at 4.2 liters.

The gas powered cruiser guys are known to run a "hyperflex" setup with 2 aftermarket arms though... much like the power wagon. Fun seeing similar concept in the Ram world now.

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Interesting concept.
I’d be curious to see a stock power wagon (double articulink) up an RTI ramp, then same truck with one of the arms from a regular 2500.
I would too. I'd be happy to update this thread with my new numbers if I can get my hands on an articulink radius arm.

I don't want to take this too far but I read that the power wagon had unique ID rear control arms as well. I wonder if the rear control arms allow for more motion than standard 2500s. Has anyone flexed their truck out and measured the compressed and extended lengths versus flat on the ground? I did a quick test last weekend and measured the space in my bump stops here:

el_barto

Reaction score
I would too. I'd be happy to update this thread with my new numbers if I can get my hands on an articulink radius arm.

I don't want to take this too far but I read that the power wagon had unique ID rear control arms as well. I wonder if the rear control arms allow for more motion than standard 2500s. Has anyone flexed their truck out and measured the compressed and extended lengths versus flat on the ground? I did a quick test last weekend and measured the space in my bump stops here:

While it would be interesting to see how much a single articulink arm increases flex on a standard 2500, I think it would be equally interesting to see how much a regular arm (or both) it changes on a power wagon since the articulink arms are designed to be working as part of a system with the power Wagon springs, sway bar disconnect, etc.

Iirc The power wagons do have unique PNs for the rear control arms, so you might be right they have softer bushings or something…I can’t imagine they would give unique Pn if they weren’t different for some reason

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Would it be worth / feasible making a radius arm with Johnny joints? You would get more articulation and 0 axle wrap something like 2” DOM 1/4 wall would be more than enough then you can run 2 replacement arms

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Would it be worth / feasible making a radius arm with Johnny joints? You would get more articulation and 0 axle wrap something like 2” DOM 1/4 wall would be more than enough then you can run 2 replacement arms

In the rear bushing, I think this would net more freedom of motion. But, in the front, I think what's actually happening is translational motion rather than rather than torsional movement. My thought is that the compression side wants to roll the axle back while the extension side wants to roll it forward. Since the bushings are mounted in parallel to the axle, the radius arm will be pushing them from the center to the outside of the bushing pretty evenly. (though the compression and extension side will be pushed in opposite directions) So, the ability of the rubber to squish, allowing the center portion to be pressed towards the outside, would be the factor allowing the axle to flex, in this case. To enable even more motion, Land Cruiser guys add an adapter plate, which moves the 2 bushings farther together. This adds more leverage against the bushings and allows for more axle travel per unit displacement in the bushing. The downside is that it creates a lot of body roll. The power wagon setup seems like it might be a nice medium as it keeps the stock bushings (and placement) but includes a pivot between the 2 forward bushings to help reduce bind. (I'm not sure if I'm really describing what I'm picturing all that well)

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Called my local Ram dealer this morning. Apparently the right side Articulink arm is $750 while the left side is $650. Do you power wagon guys have any idea why that would be? Are your arms identical in design, or is there something special about the right side?

Thanks for the help, guys,

jetrinka

Reaction score
My Cruiser is powered by a 1hdt diesel. It's an inline 6, like the Cummins... just smaller at 4.2 liters.

The gas powered cruiser guys are known to run a "hyperflex" setup with 2 aftermarket arms though... much like the power wagon. Fun seeing similar concept in the Ram world now.
Gotcha. Thank you for the information!

Lumpskie

Reaction score

Thank you for the links! I might just have to order an arm and see what happens here...

EDIT: Order placed!

Last edited:

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Also worth noting it looks like the front control arm bushings (axle to control arm) may be power wagon specific
68205913AA (upper)
68480121AA (lower)
Hmmm... wonder if those are bigger bushings I have in my front axle...

@MDethloff Do you know?

Users who are viewing this thread