Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Always on Camera Solution - NAViKS

Ramit530

Reaction score
@Brutal_HO just sharing that with my ‘19 Limited, the tailgate release button in the overhead console will not function while the truck is in Drive. Stopped or not it will not function unless the truck is in Park. But here is a question, Do you get any indication that the tailgate is open on your dash? I know with my 1500 it would actually show up in the display a truck w open tailgate

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
@Brutal_HO just sharing that with my ‘19 Limited, the tailgate release button in the overhead console will not function while the truck is in Drive. Stopped or not it will not function unless the truck is in Park. But here is a question, Do you get any indication that the tailgate is open on your dash? I know with my 1500 it would actually show up in the display a truck w open tailgate
It’s definitely the gear status message that the BCM is looking for to disable the tailgate release. The HDs do not have a tailgate ajar sense like the 5th gens do, so you can’t get the warning in the cluster.

Ramit530

Reaction score
It’s definitely the gear status message that the BCM is looking for to disable the tailgate release. The HDs do not have a tailgate ajar sense like the 5th gens do, so you can’t get the warning in the cluster.
So there you have it @Brutal_HO, it only opens if in Park or Neutral. Not something that needs to worry that the Naviks needs to be concerned of allowing it to open based on gps And thank you @Jimmy07 for the clarity on the tailgate open warning.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I guess I never tried that.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Jimmy.

RBarrett

Reaction score
My overhead tailgate release only works in park. Doesn't matter what Naviks camera function is doing. It's easy to see the tailgate with the cargo cam though. Maybe something is wrong with yours????

StockyBeast402

Reaction score
New member here, found the site because of this post actually. I have the naviks module installed in my 2020 RAM 1500 with 12" screen, but have been waiting to fix a few issues on it more so with the hdmi input than any of the camera stuff. RB I sent you a PM a bit ago as well. I'll keep checking back to see where you guys get on this.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My overhead tailgate release only works in park. Doesn't matter what Naviks camera function is doing. It's easy to see the tailgate with the cargo cam though. Maybe something is wrong with yours????

Thanks, I never indicated it would open while moving. There's nothing wrong with it, I just never realized the vehicle had to be in park. That's the only time I've accidently pressed it and it opened. Let's just drop it and forget I asked as it's just adding more clutter to the thread. Thanks for playing along and sincerely thanks for your efforts with NAVIKS.

RBarrett

Reaction score
Well it is in the truck now. Naviks changed the way they are going to do the Aux video inputs that are in the harness. Originally they thought they would pass the OE signals from the bed/bumper connectors thru a male-female RCA pair that you would separate to use your own camera. The problem with this approach is that to switch from one input method to the other would require dash and radio module removal. So to avoid this they determined that parallel inputs like they added to my truck in PA when we met was better. So now if you were to run your wiring to the location of your none mopar camera any switching back to the bumper plug wouldn't require anything in the dash. I was able to mount the radio module with the RCAs accessible just to the side. If I get around to running a harness to the back for my old camper camera I won't need to remove the radio module again. Both inputs work which is part of what Naviks wanted me to verify. Just select them on the touch screen. I will begin road testing today and Naviks wants a report at the beginning of the week. I hope the results of this test is the reason they have changed their website regarding this product. I just noticed it and will find out when I speak with them. More to follow.

Attachments

• 20201113_124457.jpg
    20201113_124457.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 37

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Well it is in the truck now. Naviks changed the way they are going to do the Aux video inputs that are in the harness. Originally they thought they would pass the OE signals from the bed/bumper connectors thru a male-female RCA pair that you would separate to use your own camera. The problem with this approach is that to switch from one input method to the other would require dash and radio module removal. So to avoid this they determined that parallel inputs like they added to my truck in PA when we met was better. So now if you were to run your wiring to the location of your none mopar camera any switching back to the bumper plug wouldn't require anything in the dash. I was able to mount the radio module with the RCAs accessible just to the side. If I get around to running a harness to the back for my old camper camera I won't need to remove the radio module again. Both inputs work which is part of what Naviks wanted me to verify. Just select them on the touch screen. I will begin road testing today and Naviks wants a report at the beginning of the week. I hope the results of this test is the reason they have changed their website regarding this product. I just noticed it and will find out when I speak with them. More to follow.

I think I understand what you're trying to convey.

Please confirm that the factory bed/bumper AUX camera can still be used.

Also, can an AUX2 then be used either via the bed/bumper (assuming 2020) OR one can plug in a camera to an RCA jack at the NAVIKS?

Thanks.

RBarrett

Reaction score
Yes that is true of both Aux 1 and 2. Either plug in at bumper/bed connector or into whatever wiring you would route out of the cab from the Naviks RCAs. I don't have any camera that I can actually connect to the Mopar connector so I can't actually test that function. But watching how they added the function for one camera to the old harness I just removed, and knowing what it means when they say the inputs are now in parallel - this is how it would work. You could use both Aux 1 and 2 independently which ever way you wanted to. Both bumper. Both RCAs. Or one of each. Whatever you want. Of course if you only have Aux 1 on your truck you still just have one input. You just pick which connector you want to use.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes that is true of both Aux 1 and 2. Either plug in at bumper/bed connector or into whatever wiring you would route out of the cab from the Naviks RCAs. I don't have any camera that I can actually connect to the Mopar connector so I can't actually test that function. But watching how they added the function for one camera to the old harness I just removed, and knowing what it means when they say the inputs are now in parallel - this is how it would work. You could use both Aux 1 and 2 independently which ever way you wanted to. Both bumper. Both RCAs. Or one of each. Whatever you want. Of course if you only have Aux 1 on your truck you still just have one input. You just pick which connector you want to use.
Thanks for clarifying.

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
I'm also interested in the group buy.

I have the 12" screen and very close to finishing the install of the surround camera system. If I'm unsuccessful at installing the surround view camera system then I'll opt out.. but it's looking promising thus far.

I did a quick tally and there are 11 confirmed (including me) and one confirmed (only if it works with the two Aux cameras (MikeXM)) plus one more that will buy if it works on an 8.4" (which they stated they weren't sure and would most likely need testing).

Even if I end up opting out, you'll still have at least ten and should be good for the discount.
If anyone identified below has changed their mind please advise.

HDRAMs ID Handle12" Screen8.4" Screen
RbarrettX
AttyX
BrutalX
ZhaulerX
4wdiverX
mlinkX
LatetoThePartyX
hpc3X
blues_sunriseX
MikeMX (only if works with 2Aux)
slackerwillX
MykwongX
Phil TX

Can't wait to hear how it goes Rbarrett and thanks for all your efforts!

I'm also interested in the group buy.

I have the 12" screen and very close to finishing the install of the surround camera system. If I'm unsuccessful at installing the surround view camera system then I'll opt out.. but it's looking promising thus far.

I did a quick tally and there are 11 confirmed (including me) and one confirmed (only if it works with the two Aux cameras (MikeXM)) plus one more that will buy if it works on an 8.4" (which they stated they weren't sure and would most likely need testing).

Even if I end up opting out, you'll still have at least ten and should be good for the discount.
If anyone identified below has changed their mind please advise.

HDRAMs ID Handle12" Screen8.4" Screen
RbarrettX
AttyX
BrutalX
ZhaulerX
4wdiverX
mlinkX
LatetoThePartyX
hpc3X
blues_sunriseX
MikeMX (only if works with 2Aux)
slackerwillX
MykwongX
Phil TX

Can't wait to hear how it goes Rbarrett and thanks for all your efforts!
Seems like you're the unofficial/official tracker (thanks). I'm in for a unit for the 12" Screen.

Atty

Reaction score
Here's the current list:

HDRAMs ID Handle12" Screen8.4" ScreenCount for 12"Count for 8.4"
RbarrettX
14​
2​
AttyX
BrutalX
4wdiverX
mlinkX
LatetoThePartyX
hpc3X
blues_sunriseX
MikeMX (only if works with 2AUx)
slackerwillX
MykwongX
Phil TX
20Limited3500X
Steve_CornellX
Ramit530X
BrewbudX
TXsportDiverX

Ramit530

Reaction score
Here is a question, I assume one would have to ask Naviks but maybe someone knows, Will this unit be vehicle transferable? Will it be the same unit that works in a '19, be the same as the '20, and if so since no changes to the '21 possibly be moved to a '21? @RBarrett , might you ask them that question in your conversations with them? thank you in advance

Users who are viewing this thread