Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Always on Camera Solution - NAViKS

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
Well, this seems to be a bust for me. After a few useless emails, they finally came back and said 65* vertical angle which, if true, is utterly useless for my needs.

I was able to dig out the Brandmotion V2 specs shown here as 140*/90* which is perfect for me. I just ordered one from Crutchfield, seemed their delivery (though drop ship?) appears to be a little quicker.

Don't get too caught up in the High Resolution specs, a true 1080P would require an HDMI connection I believe, you probably won't be able to tell the difference between a 720 camera, I highly doubt the indash system screens are anywhere near 1080P

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't get too caught up in the High Resolution specs, a true 1080P would require an HDMI connection I believe, you probably won't be able to tell the difference between a 720 camera, I highly doubt the indash system screens are anywhere near 1080P

Don't disagree, just shopping for the best solution. I had a 15 year old Alpine camera I installed on my old fiver that had 105* vertical viewing angle so I'm just a little perturbed so many of these newer "UCCD" sensors/cameras have worse specs. Glad you found this one, it looks like the perfect solution.

Phil T

Reaction score
I used a cmos sony backlit module for my trailer camera. Cmos is a better sensor for video. Ccd is old school.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RBarrett

Reaction score
Well it looks like Naviks has finally arranged to get some time with the 2019 truck that they used to develop the 12 inch Ram HD system. There were issues involved with me providing them a video to document the problems. Then issues with them connecting with the owner of the 2019 truck. Then there were issues with the issues. So tonight I was told that I should be expecting a call Friday after they will have had the whole day available to work on that truck. They will confirm whether the 2019s have the same problems or not and will have developed new code to avoid the issue and/or come up with an alternate method to turn on and off the side camera with blinker function. We have discussed a plan B and a plan C for that matter since it looked like they were not going to be able to get hands on that truck. I won't go into those right now as it looks like we are back on track with the original plan we had a couple weeks ago. I don't know if any of you are still interested in this group buy but if you are I must say you are sure patiient. I will be proceeding with that assumption no matter since my goal is first to get mine working as best as it can be. Assuming we get this straightened away we then see where you all are. More by the weekend if anyone still cares.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have until next towing season - early summer. Probably take me that long to get my camera wired up and connected to the Ford 12-pin harness.

Ramit530

Reaction score
Heck I would have offered assisting with a '19 if they needed....(at least for the time being, liking some of the goodies they added to the '21) Glad they are moving forward. What is the difference of a '19 vs the '20 that is causing the config to not be correct on a '20? Maybe I missed it. I am still in.

RBarrett

Reaction score
Well the problem is that Naviks has no way of knowing the differences between a 19 and a 20 without trying to run their software on both of them. I started this whole thing using the 19s software module on my 20. Naviks uses our trucks buttons (steering wheel and radio) for alternate functions in addition to their original function. Eventhough the 19 and 20 have identical buttons, running their 19 module on my 20 truck had different and undesirable behaviors. Thats why when I met with the Navks guys they start by attaching a laptop to the radio unit and capture all the CAN bus behavior that RAM programs into each of those buttons. If it turns out the 20 has the same as the 19 (some buttons did) OK, if it turns out different (some buttons also did) then a change needs to be made for the 20. So I came across the country with software that started with the19 version but had been modified for the 20. The problem comes in when there is something going on with Naviks software that might conflict with something else that RAM does with their software. That is what I discovered during my trip after meeting with them. An obscure combination of a programable display menu option if I selected, it then shut down Naviks alternative use for the mute button. Right now Naviks is uncertain if the 19 has this same problem or not. The most obvious difference is the 2 camera Aux selection on the 20 where the 19 has 1. Since Naviks intends to give us alternative input capabilities for more standard camera interconnects that would aslo be different between the two model years. If Naviks doesn't get this worked out by this weekend the plan B we have already discussed involved me asking if anyone in this group was close enough to them to help out. It doesn't look like that will be needed right now however. I'll keep you all posted.

Atty

Reaction score
How's it looking @RBarret? Did they get anyone sorted for the 2019? I know I'm on the other side of the country but if they need things tested on my 2019 2500, I'm happy to do what I can to help.. If this includes the purchase of the item like you did that's fine by me

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I am up for sooner rather than later. I will not be using mine for trailer cameras though at this time. Just the current cameras. I had a load the other day I wanted to keep an eye on and it really bugged me I had to keep reaching down to hit the camera.

RBarrett

Reaction score
Well I just spoke with Naviks this morning. They did get time with the 2019 just yesterday. They believe they have the issues now fixed and will have a new unit headed my way to test. Hopefully that will be a pretty short process since we have worked our way down to just a couple issues needing a fix and/or testing. I probably won't get the new unit until the beginning of next week but have no reason I can't start on it right away. I'll know more about the timing when they send me a tracking number. I sure hope this is our last step and I know Naviks feels the same. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Atty

Reaction score
Well I just spoke with Naviks this morning. They did get time with the 2019 just yesterday. They believe they have the issues now fixed and will have a new unit headed my way to test. Hopefully that will be a pretty short process since we have worked our way down to just a couple issues needing a fix and/or testing. I probably won't get the new unit until the beginning of next week but have no reason I can't start on it right away. I'll know more about the timing when they send me a tracking number. I sure hope this is our last step and I know Naviks feels the same. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Fingers Crossed!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks for the update.

One thing I've been meaning to ask. It seems they are interrupting the vehicle speed info going to the radio to allow the NAV in motion and camera selection.

To that point, what happens if you press the tailgate release at speed? Are they ensuring it cannot open?

RBarrett

Reaction score
The interruption of vehicle speed is only done when you need to use the navigation keyboard while moving. When you are done entering whatever it is you're doing you push the steering wheel button again and the nav just picks up moving again. So you only interupt motion for as long as it takes for the actual keyboard input. The cameras are done some other way. Naviks may be still interupting the vehicle speed for that system also but it is not the same signal that feeds the nav functions. As I said in an earlier post the navigation will continue to function with one of the camera views set up on the screen. You could drive forever with your cargo camera on (or any other camera for that matter) and still have voice and instrument cluster navigation operating. As for your tailgate in motion question I believe you will need to find another vendor for that. I have no knowledge of what Mopar even does when pushing that button in motion. I would hope nothing but I am aware of the recall. I have never tried myself. Do you speak from experience? At this point my only concern is to get these base functions working as flawlessly as possible and see us though to saving some money if there are enough of us left for the group buy.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The interruption of vehicle speed is only done when you need to use the navigation keyboard while moving. When you are done entering whatever it is you're doing you push the steering wheel button again and the nav just picks up moving again. So you only interupt motion for as long as it takes for the actual keyboard input. The cameras are done some other way. Naviks may be still interupting the vehicle speed for that system also but it is not the same signal that feeds the nav functions. As I said in an earlier post the navigation will continue to function with one of the camera views set up on the screen. You could drive forever with your cargo camera on (or any other camera for that matter) and still have voice and instrument cluster navigation operating. As for your tailgate in motion question I believe you will need to find another vendor for that. I have no knowledge of what Mopar even does when pushing that button in motion. I would hope nothing but I am aware of the recall. I have never tried myself. Do you speak from experience? At this point my only concern is to get these base functions working as flawlessly as possible and see us though to saving some money if there are enough of us left for the group buy.

Perhaps I didn't phrase the question well. I want to ensure the tailgate CANNOT be opened when moving which is how it works now.

The position of that button near the overhead light button is troublesome and more than once I've had to get out and close the gate after trying to turn on the lights.

RBarrett

Reaction score
I know I was just kidding you. At this point it would take Naviks getting both a 19 and a 20 MY truck to map out the cam bus stuff for the overhead buttons. Then make new software and hardware for it. If the command for the tailgate goes through some other module and not the radio it could involve some other part of the truck entirely. Just going from what they had for the 19 to getting it ready for the 20 and to fix some unintended things along the way has taken LOTS of effort. I hope we are now there and all we need is the testing to verify that. Asking Naviks to look into this tailgate thing before releasing what we can have now would make no sense. Too many people want these other functions now. Or months ago or years ago for that matter. Those bttons do look all the same and I guess you're saying the tailgate will open when going down the road so I see the problem. I'm just saying it needs a fix that doesn't involve Naviks. A piece of tape maybe????

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I know I was just kidding you. At this point it would take Naviks getting both a 19 and a 20 MY truck to map out the cam bus stuff for the overhead buttons. Then make new software and hardware for it. If the command for the tailgate goes through some other module and not the radio it could involve some other part of the truck entirely. Just going from what they had for the 19 to getting it ready for the 20 and to fix some unintended things along the way has taken LOTS of effort. I hope we are now there and all we need is the testing to verify that. Asking Naviks to look into this tailgate thing before releasing what we can have now would make no sense. Too many people want these other functions now. Or months ago or years ago for that matter. Those bttons do look all the same and I guess you're saying the tailgate will open when going down the road so I see the problem. I'm just saying it needs a fix that doesn't involve Naviks. A piece of tape maybe????

Let's try this. I want to UNDERSTAND if the tailgate will open when moving with the NAVIKS unit displaying a camera view.

If possible, I'd simply ask that you try it (going slowly of course) and report the results.

RBarrett

Reaction score
OK - That is easy for me to do. I will let you know before the day is done.

Users who are viewing this thread