Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Newbie here. Just read all posts and didn't see this. I just hooked up the KAOD bypass for use with AlfaOBD and using the OBD Link MX+. Question is, should my check engine light be on?
You used AlfaOBD, and now the CEL is on? Or is it just when the ignition is in the run position (not started) you are seeing the CEL? It’s normal to be on steady when the ignition is in run, or it will be blinking if there is an issue.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
20210510_052053.jpg

Feb 2020 2500 build. Used 2020 BCM and got this on second key cycle. Current gear position didn't take yet but from what I've seen some of these things take a few drive cycles for some reason.

Blanch040

Reaction score
You used AlfaOBD, and now the CEL is on? Or is it just when the ignition is in the run position (not started) you are seeing the CEL? It’s normal to be on steady when the ignition is in run, or it will be blinking if there is an issue.
CEL came on as soon as I connected the KAOD bypass. It stays on even when ignition is running. Also no changes seem to be taking effect. Just trying to get tow mirrors to work.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
CEL came on as soon as I connected the KAOD bypass. It stays on even when ignition is running. Also no changes seem to be taking effect. Just trying to get tow mirrors to work.
Make sure you plugged the two white connectors on the bypass into the correct canbus junction blocks.

kraftwerx

Reaction score
Got my LX (trying to keep the cfo happy and save a few bucks) and AlphaOBD (windows) set up on Saturday. Set gear indicator and front camera.

Gear indicator showed up when I actually drove it. I guess it's not so much about key cycling. As for the front camera, put my 21 2500 in the Button and GL options are present, but not working along with the surround view.

It took a couple of cycles for them to show up, and with the pandemic, we're not driving a whole lot so I'll give it a week or so, but am going to have to switch back if the surround view doesn't come back.

Has anyone else made any progress?

Thanks, Erik

g00fy

Reaction score
I tried to turn on the trailer light check, and for a second alfaobd flashed that it wasn't a supported function, but then it did go through and the option is listed as "yes" now. However it hasn't shown up yet, does a trailer need to be connected to see the menu option?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Feb 2020 2500 build. Used 2020 BCM and got this on second key cycle. Current gear position didn't take yet but from what I've seen some of these things take a few drive cycles for some reason.

If you're expecting it to just come on, it won't.

You need to go into the EVIC screen setup and scroll through the options. It adds a new option for Current Gear along with the Odometer/Center/Left/Right/corners gauge selections.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
That appears to be correct, if he didn’t mix up the wires for labeling. You would know if they are switched anyway, because you wouldn’t be able to connect AlfaOBD to the body computer- you would get a failed to connect message saying there’s no interface.
What fault codes do you have stored? Connect to each individual module (especially the engine), and read each one for faults.

madmat

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows a way with AlfaOBD to keep the "signature lighting" at full brightness when the park lights or headlights are turned on. They currently dim down as soon as the headlights or park lights are switched on.

bamorris2

Reaction score
I have an bolder OBDLink MX (not the newer MX+). Anyone know if this will work for AlfaOBD?

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I finally jumped onto the AlfaOBD wagon and have set some of the basic stuff. I ran across this and would like someone that also has a Power Wagon (2019 would be great) to confirm what theirs is set to. I have a Power Wagon and PW is listed as a package, but for some reason mine is set to "DT Base/Sport/SLT+/Laramie".

IMG_1228.jpg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I finally jumped onto the AlfaOBD wagon and have set some of the basic stuff. I ran across this and would like someone that also has a Power Wagon (2019 would be great) to confirm what theirs is set to. I have a Power Wagon and PW is listed as a package, but for some reason mine is set to "DT Base/Sport/SLT+/Laramie".

View attachment 16136
That is the “normal” setting on a power wagon. This setting changes the background color theme on the radio (which can also be changed in the radio settings) that the radio would default to when battery power is lost/restored to the radio. Changing that to power wagon would result in the same default theme you already have.
There is a similar setting called VehConfig 2: Special Package. This one should already be set to power wagon on your truck. It changes the splash screen logo in the instrument cluster when you start your truck, so your EVIC startup splash screen should say “PowerWagon”.

Blanch040

Reaction score
That appears to be correct, if he didn’t mix up the wires for labeling. You would know if they are switched anyway, because you wouldn’t be able to connect AlfaOBD to the body computer- you would get a failed to connect message saying there’s no interface.
What fault codes do you have stored? Connect to each individual module (especially the engine), and read each one for faults.
Thanks Jimmy. Searching your other posts, I believe it is an issue with the wiring to the plug that goes into the door module. I am going to try and rewire per your advise that I found in other posts, and see if that clears everything up.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
So my fully loaded 2019 PW did not have Tire Fill Assist or Selectable Tire Fill Alert as an option in uConnect for some odd reason. I enabled the below and after a day or so of driving it has popped up in my uConnect and appears to be working, but I haven't played with it too much.

VehConfig 8:
Tire Fill Alert present
Selectable Tire Fill Alert Present

Cust.Set.Menu 3:
Tire Fill Alert Enable/Disable CSM Present

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1242.jpg

Buzzb

Reaction score
I wonder if the Off-Road Pages of the 2021s will show up. I'll try the light check on my 20 as soon as I finally plug all this stuff into it.
I can't get the off road pages on my 21 to show up. I don't have the sirus guardian thing which I believe is a requirement.

Mooreman21

Reaction score
many thanks to Jimmy and others that have contributed to this thread. I would like to add my personal experience as well. Coming from a 2015 Ram 1500 DS body, I had the ZFlash installed for first responders and firefighter.
Going to the 2020 Ram 2500 DJ, I had to order a bypass. This bypass from www.ultrabrightlightz.com has a single 2 pin cable for the star connector and 2 OBD ports as well as the female to plug into the factory OBD.
It is successful with the AlfaOBD as well. I programmed new LED headlamps using steps found on the forum. I also left it plugged in when it failed to program a new fob; without thinking i plugged in Chryslers Micropod and proceeded to program the new FOB. no issues found at this time with leaving it plugged in, and now I have a remote start/ tailgate release fob for my Tradesman....

Thanks again guys!

Users who are viewing this thread