Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Bumper

ppine

Reaction score
I used to live in Wyoming and Colorado and worked in every western state in the field for a living If you are hitting wildlife you are going too fast. I worked with a guy that had hit 9 deer. He definitely drove too fast.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I used to live in Wyoming and Colorado and worked in every western state in the field for a living If you are hitting wildlife you are going too fast. I worked with a guy that had hit 9 deer. He definitely drove too fast.
i had a deer hit last year deer hit me more than anything going the speed limit so thats not true at all. Especially when they are running out of the bush at full speed at night

Last edited:

CFE

Reaction score
I'm in the camp of "he didn't drive fast enough"...lol

unclelala

Reaction score
If you are hitting wildlife you are going too fast. I worked with a guy that had hit 9 deer. He definitely drove too fast.
Back in 2007 I was pulled over and parked on Highway 28 near Bancroft Ontario taking a call in my GMC pickup when I deer came out of the bush and ran into the rear bed...Again I was parked and got hit.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Back in 2007 I was pulled over and parked on Highway 28 near Bancroft Ontario taking a call in my GMC pickup when I deer came out of the bush and ran into the rear bed...Again I was parked and got hit.
Bancroft is a bad area for deer and bear i grew up not far from there!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Had a cottage on Paudash Lake for 39 years. Had plenty run ins with deer, moose and bears. Local Bancroft people called us cottagers Cidiots

We still call cottagers that even though i moved away years ago. Lol

Redfour5

Reaction score
i had a deer hit last year deer hit me more than anything going the speed limit so thats not true at all. Especially when they are running out of the bush at full speed at night
Check on that coming into Custer SD at dusk by the KOA on the west side of town doing less than the speed limit worrying about this very scenario and up a relatively steep hill comes a mule deer right into my front bumper corner full speed (his). I had to stop and get a breaker bar from a shop to pull it away from the tire...

ppine

Reaction score
The bad wrecks with wildlife are the larger animals. Moose are the worst. They are so tall your truck is going to take out their legs and the body is coming through the windshield. Elk are bad. Bison are terrible. Cattle and wild horses are not good. Even deer and antelope jump when they are scared. All of these animals are going to be in your grill or over your hood a lot of the time. The kind of bumper you have is not that relevant.

Some places have so much wildlife we used to really avoid driving at dusk or after dark. We got in the habit of going under the speed limit and having a spotter in the passenger seat to aid the driver. I have avoided hundreds of critters over the years, but have never hit one.

UglyViking

Reaction score
The bad wrecks with wildlife are the larger animals. Moose are the worst. They are so tall your truck is going to take out their legs and the body is coming through the windshield. Elk are bad. Bison are terrible. Cattle and wild horses are not good. Even deer and antelope jump when they are scared. All of these animals are going to be in your grill or over your hood a lot of the time. The kind of bumper you have is not that relevant.

Some places have so much wildlife we used to really avoid driving at dusk or after dark. We got in the habit of going under the speed limit and having a spotter in the passenger seat to aid the driver. I have avoided hundreds of critters over the years, but have never hit one.
I mean the best way to avoid striking an animal while driving is to not drive, anything outside of that whether it is not driving after dusk, having a second set of eyes, a large bumper, etc. is just a risk vs reward.

If you hit a moose or bison on the highway it doesn't really matter if you have an aftermarket bumper or not, the trucks front end is going to be wrecked. That said, it may help with other animals with weights not measured in tons, and for some folks it may bring value. Personally, I've had 2 head on hits with white tail deer, both of which only messed up my bumper and my grille but both I had also seen before they happened which allowed me to brake and probably reduce a lot of damage. I may not always be so lucky and assuming I had a trailer in tow an impact with a deer has a very high likelihood of wrecking my whole vacation. It's expensive insurance for sure, and if I could mount a winch without it then I prob wouldn't be getting one, but I feel overall like it's an ok call.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I mean the best way to avoid striking an animal while driving is to not drive, anything outside of that whether it is not driving after dusk, having a second set of eyes, a large bumper, etc. is just a risk vs reward.

If you hit a moose or bison on the highway it doesn't really matter if you have an aftermarket bumper or not, the trucks front end is going to be wrecked. That said, it may help with other animals with weights not measured in tons, and for some folks it may bring value. Personally, I've had 2 head on hits with white tail deer, both of which only messed up my bumper and my grille but both I had also seen before they happened which allowed me to brake and probably reduce a lot of damage. I may not always be so lucky and assuming I had a trailer in tow an impact with a deer has a very high likelihood of wrecking my whole vacation. It's expensive insurance for sure, and if I could mount a winch without it then I prob wouldn't be getting one, but I feel overall like it's an ok call.

Nobody makes a bumper for the PW that is winch compatible and would do anything to keep a critter out of the grill so meh, otherwise I would. Hit a cow slowed down to maybe 10 mph and smacked an antelope silly with this setup with zero damage to this truck, would do something like this in a minute if it were available. A genuine, DOM pre-runner style..not a ridiculously heavy and bolt together whatever.7134D4C7-E8DE-452F-942C-D584D2E5907B.jpeg

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Oh yeah…that truck was hit when almost new so badly in a carniceria parking lot, that there was a windshield wiper laying amongst the debris on the ground. While they left glass on my hood and roof, just easily touched up scratches on the bumper.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Oh yeah…that truck was hit when almost new so badly in a carniceria parking lot, that there was a windshield wiper laying amongst the debris on the ground. While they left glass on my hood and roof, just easily touched up scratches on the bumper.
You mentioned DOM. if that’s 1020 DOM, likely .120 wall thickness, it has a yield strength of 80,000 psi.

It can take quite a wallop.

I’ve managed to dent and bend some of it but it took some alcohol and me not noticing the low talent light on the dash was illuminated.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
You mentioned DOM. if that’s 1020 DOM, likely .120 wall thickness, it has a yield strength of 80,000 psi.
..and thoroughly gusseted, not a pipe light bar with unsupported “wings” bolted on. ADD makes top quality stuff for sure, but can’t find anything anywhere worth the coin wanted for my PW unless I would ditch the factory winch.

desert_wagon

Reaction score
I have no plans to hit anything and therefore are leaving the stock chrome bumpers.
People now seem very willing to spend thousands of dollars to hang crap on their trucks and call it a build.
clearance....simple and plain, the stock bumper hangs down way too far.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Too far for what? Rock crawling?
It hangs down too far for any trails that aren't basically roads. If you don't have this issue, or don't see it as an issue, then clearly it's not for you.

I don't have the need for a 72" wide 30" deep snap on toolbox with cabinets and overheads, but it doesn't make the concept of a large toolbox completely worthless, it just means it's outside of what I personally need. (although this is a terrible example because I do really want one…)

Users who are viewing this thread