Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Bumper

el_barto

Reaction score
I wish ARB made a bumper, they make great looking bumpers for Toyota trucks/SUVs, but Otherwise AEV looks the best (also buku bux)

exiledinaz

Reaction score
I bought a Rough Country rear bumper which is not real crazy looking. They have a front bumper that looks decent. I'm leaning in that direction but they don't list it for 3500 only 2500. I am going to have to research if 2500 and 3500 bolt up/mount the same.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I bought a Rough Country rear bumper which is not real crazy looking. They have a front bumper that looks decent. I'm leaning in that direction but they don't list it for 3500 only 2500. I am going to have to research if 2500 and 3500 bolt up/mount the same.
They are the same assuming its ment for a diesel

jetrinka

Reaction score
Still in the preliminary stages of looking, but FFS... are there any non-Mad Max looking front bumpers out there I'm just not finding?
Just want a bumper that's a bit more substantial than OEM.

Don't need a winch... don't need a 10ft wide light bar... don't need a 'brush guard'... just a bumper, and for FFS, not diamond plate.. that's Boomer AF.
I can find decent looking rears, but the front... <face palm>
Oh no. You certainly do NEED a winch. They're so cool!

Skeefer152

Reaction score
The steel craft is about the only one i have found that i think actually looks good
I know its a little bit of a dead topic but I've been trying to find good pictures of some of these bumper options on stock height 4.5 gen 2500/3500s to no avail. A walkaround video would really be the most revealing. I have a chrome bumpered tradesman that I hyperdipped black, but highway/rock-ridden road use has led to a number of chips and peel spots that I can't live with. Getting it vinyl wrapped is going to cost a big chunk and several shops don't even want to wrap a formerly dipped surface. Going OEM is also really pricey for having no durability/functionality increase and the color matched (granite crystal) bumpers that I love the look of are hard to find for less than $800. I'd lean towards the metal aftermarket side but all of the options have the very off-road, high clearance, clipped upwards toward the tires, huge smile with an underbite look that I really don't like. Additionally all the marketing pictures usually show trucks with lifts and 37's that make the bumpers look less ridiculous but show nothing of how it would sit on a mostly stock truck. If anyone has found anything that looks close to stock with good pictures or if there is a reliable and cheaper way to get oem painted bumpers for less than the price of a metal aftermarket option please let me know.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I know its a little bit of a dead topic but I've been trying to find good pictures of some of these bumper options on stock height 4.5 gen 2500/3500s to no avail. A walkaround video would really be the most revealing. I have a chrome bumpered tradesman that I hyperdipped black, but highway/rock-ridden road use has led to a number of chips and peel spots that I can't live with. Getting it vinyl wrapped is going to cost a big chunk and several shops don't even want to wrap a formerly dipped surface. Going OEM is also really pricey for having no durability/functionality increase and the color matched (granite crystal) bumpers that I love the look of are hard to find for less than $800. I'd lean towards the metal aftermarket side but all of the options have the very off-road, high clearance, clipped upwards toward the tires, huge smile with an underbite look that I really don't like. Additionally all the marketing pictures usually show trucks with lifts and 37's that make the bumpers look less ridiculous but show nothing of how it would sit on a mostly stock truck. If anyone has found anything that looks close to stock with good pictures or if there is a reliable and cheaper way to get oem painted bumpers for less than the price of a metal aftermarket option please let me know.
My truck is “mostly stock” if that helps

Here is an old pic with no lift

C025D5FB-3B97-4EF3-AA60-CC77A2EDC3A7.jpeg

Skeefer152

Reaction score
Yours is definitely an exception to the rule and it looks great, however the AEV is a little outside of my budget and bigger than what I'm looking for. I'm considering the lower profile options like the Iron Cross low profile, and the Steelcraft Fortis. Theres also the Chassis Unlimited Attitude that I really like the simple look of but its $2,200. The main problem is that all the marketing pictures are close up wide angles of the bumper itself and they never concentrate on a far back shot of what the overall truck looks like in profile etc. I guess I'm just too picky but spending a grand just for the privilege of trying it on also seems insane.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I have a hooke road set that I really love. they're modular and are similar to chassis unlimited. I run a 13k winch with mine.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Yours is definitely an exception to the rule and it looks great, however the AEV is a little outside of my budget and bigger than what I'm looking for. I'm considering the lower profile options like the Iron Cross low profile, and the Steelcraft Fortis. Theres also the Chassis Unlimited Attitude that I really like the simple look of but its $2,200. The main problem is that all the marketing pictures are close up wide angles of the bumper itself and they never concentrate on a far back shot of what the overall truck looks like in profile etc. I guess I'm just too picky but spending a grand just for the privilege of trying it on also seems insane.

A lot of aftermarket bumpers are designed for both the Hemi and Cummins trucks, and due to the intercooler size and location the bumper has to stick out a bit further to allow for a winch. There are companies that make really good looking low profile options, but as you've seen they are not cheap. Frankly anything cheap is likely going to be fewer pieces, which means that it's almost guaranteed to be larger. Perhaps you can find something without a winch option that would be more streamlined, or find something that is just for HEMI/PW trucks and don't run a winch, or stick with the OEM?

Skeefer152

Reaction score
A lot of aftermarket bumpers are designed for both the Hemi and Cummins trucks, and due to the intercooler size and location the bumper has to stick out a bit further to allow for a winch. There are companies that make really good looking low profile options, but as you've seen they are not cheap. Frankly anything cheap is likely going to be fewer pieces, which means that it's almost guaranteed to be larger. Perhaps you can find something without a winch option that would be more streamlined, or find something that is just for HEMI/PW trucks and don't run a winch, or stick with the OEM?
Yeah I agree with the non-winch sentiment for the look I'm after and good point about the intercooler issues. I'm just reluctant to pull the trigger without getting a good feel for how it actually looks and most of the pictures I've seen of the ones that have potential don't help much. I think I would have to wait to spot one in person to really know.

Finalized plan I think is to just apply occam's razor and be on the lookout for a stock Granite Crystal front bumper with the grill trim pieces for less than the $1,500+ I've seen them go for on parts stores (anyone have one to sell?). I'll probably get a front receiver for misc accessories and use a hitch-mount winch if I ever find a need for one. In the interim I'll just be touching up my hyperdip chips with the rattle can mixed with my poor person tears. If anyone finds this thread in the future with good low profile options please let me know, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread