Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Bumper

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Still in the preliminary stages of looking, but FFS... are there any non-Mad Max looking front bumpers out there I'm just not finding?
Just want a bumper that's a bit more substantial than OEM.

Don't need a winch... don't need a 10ft wide light bar... don't need a 'brush guard'... just a bumper, and for FFS, not diamond plate.. that's Boomer AF.
I can find decent looking rears, but the front... <face palm>

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Still in the preliminary stages of looking, but FFS... are there any non-Mad Max looking front bumpers out there I'm just not finding?

Don't need a winch... don't need a 10ft wide light bar... don't need a 'brush guard... just a bumper, and for FFS, not diamond plate.. that's Boomer AF.
What style are you looking for? Something slim line plate steel of similar size of the oem?

I am looking at making a run of bumpers like that if there is enough interest

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
What style are you looking for? Something slim line plate steel of similar size of the oem?

I am looking at making a run of bumpers like that if there is enough interest

Please correct me if I misstate something...

Most of the well regarded bumpers are either built around a schedule 40 pipe or are 3/16" plate with 1/4" (boxed) brackets.
I see some are one piece while others are 'modular' 3 piece.. I honestly have no idea if one is better than the other... I can see pros/cons for both.

Something 'similar' to OEM would not be horrible... certainly want to keep the sensors...air dam is there for a reason though I know many dislike it but I will never be doing an 'off road' where it will be an issue.
While I like the spread from the OEM fogs, I'm not against changing them out... or if we're talking about a wish list, a set of fogs that face forward *and* out to the sides wouldn't suck.

For a rear bumper, again the sensors... the OEM license plate lights... D ring mounts...steps in the corners and option for lights, but there are already manufactures out there that make decent rear bumpers.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Chassis Unlimited has a few nice ones. Octane Series without the tube work is pretty clean, snug to the body.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Chassis Unlimited has a few nice ones. Octane Series without the tube work is pretty clean, snug to the body.
Chassis is on the list but I prefer the look of their Attitude as it doesn't have that severe 'upsweep' on the outer 1/3rd of the bumper, but again... don't want a winch, don't want a light, guess I could find a grate or something to cover the hole but I'd rather not have it at all..

And they have a modular 3 piece design... at the end of the day what's the difference between that and a solid bumper like Road Armor?

UglyViking

Reaction score
I mean this purely to try and help you out, but what exactly do you want a new bumper for if you don't want any of the stuff people buy bumpers for? No winch, no lights, no grille-guard, no better approach angle, you want to keep the air dam? It sounds like the best option may be the one you currently have. What are you hoping to get out of an aftermarket bumper?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I mean this purely to try and help you out, but what exactly do you want a new bumper for if you don't want any of the stuff people buy bumpers for? No winch, no lights, no grille-guard, no better approach angle, you want to keep the air dam? It sounds like the best option may be the one you currently have. What are you hoping to get out of an aftermarket bumper?
Strength and getting rid of the factory tinfoil

jsalbre

Reaction score

Don't need a winch... don't need a 10ft wide light bar... don't need a 'brush guard'... just a bumper, and for FFS, not diamond plate.. that's Boomer AF.
Sadly the only aftermarket bumper I've seen that doesn't scream "look, ma! I bought a welder!" is the AEV.

44Dan44

Reaction score
Agree, AEV even makes note of the fact they are the only stamped steel bumper on the market, stamped means presses, and presses and dies cost a kajillion dollars, big barrier to entry for anyone else. Compound curves, (what makes the AEV look seamless and more like the stock bumper) are only possible with cast parts or stamped parts when using thicker gauge metals. They speak of their close relationship and collaboration with Ram and I'm sure there is some agreement that gives them access to the manufacturer of the OEM press and die equipment to do limited runs of their bumpers.
Not knocking AEV at all, just saying a "curvy" bumper aka non-mad max is not a simple or cheap thing to make.Image 12-10-22 at 12.27 AM.jpg

jsalbre

Reaction score
IMHO, if your reason for wanting a beefier bumper is to protect from impacts, and not because you might drag it across something offroad, I’d leave the stock bumper. If you put a bumper on that strong enough to not be damaged by an impact that would have damaged the stock bumper then that just means the forces are being transferred to your frame.c which has crumple zones built into it. Way cheaper to replace a bent bumper than a crumpled frame (which may also tie into engine mounts, causing a cascade of damage).

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
As @H3LZSN1P3R stated, something better than the tinfoil bumper which is already bent from someone simply clipping the corner by pulling in/out of a parking spot.

Yes, AEV makes the most OEM looking bumper.
I don't mind the more subtle angular looks, but some go way overboard and double down on it.

Expedition One, Kelderman, Road Armor, Chassis Unlimited, LOD, Hammerhead all make varying degrees of 'low profile' bumpers.
But they all, inevitably, have a cut out for a winch or 'bro-bar'.... which I guess I will have to find some way to cover.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
As @H3LZSN1P3R stated, something better than the tinfoil bumper which is already bent from someone simply clipping the corner by pulling in/out of a parking spot.

Yes, AEV makes the most OEM looking bumper.
I don't mind the more subtle angular looks, but some go way overboard and double down on it.

Expedition One, Kelderman, Road Armor, Chassis Unlimited, LOD, Hammerhead all make varying degrees of 'low profile' bumpers.
But they all, inevitably, have a cut out for a winch or 'bro-bar'.... which I guess I will have to find some way to cover.
It would be nice to have an option list when ordering a bumper…

My biggest hurdle for a bumper is making it so i can have my plow on with the bumper

Last edited:

44Dan44

Reaction score
It would be nice to have an option list when ordering a bumper…

My biggest hurdle for a bumper is making it so i can have my plow on with the bumper
Yes, its going to have to be custom to get what you really want, manufacturer's like this falcon-bull-bar-front-bumper-kit do offer a bit of a drop down menu to add/remove certain options.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
IMHO, if your reason for wanting a beefier bumper is to protect from impacts, and not because you might drag it across something offroad, I’d leave the stock bumper. If you put a bumper on that strong enough to not be damaged by an impact that would have damaged the stock bumper then that just means the forces are being transferred to your frame.c which has crumple zones built into it. Way cheaper to replace a bent bumper than a crumpled frame (which may also tie into engine mounts, causing a cascade of damage).
You are less likely to hurt the frame as you are tieing both frame rails in to each other with an HD bumper. And they can save you more than not think deer strikes and what not, the impacts that would crumple a frame would do the same with a stock bumper…

desert_wagon

Reaction score

Pricey but expedition one is really nice

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
After looking for new bumpers, I gave up and kept my stock ones. Had to replace the rear bumper from a accident. Coukdnt find any I liked. So OEM it is.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
This Bravo series from Kelderman doesn't look horrible.
Low profile, actually looks like a bumper.
Rear bumper isn't bad either

Options you can add/delete for the front:
Clevis hook mounts (as you lose the OEM tow hook)
Swivel hook optional
20" bro-bar or a grill to cover that space..
Corner lights can be added or come without.
License plate bracket
Bare Steel

For the rear:
Clevis hook mounts
Swivel hooks
Lights

The corner lights are Rigid 4" LED bars vs Pods... not sure who else makes 4" LED bars.

1670766727276.png

1670767226057.png

Users who are viewing this thread