Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding adaptive cruise

mattjackson86

Reaction score
Sounds like we need somebody with this as OEM to do an alignment, see what happens, and have dealership look into it. But I know that’s a lot to ask of anyone.

Wonder if the 3rd party windshield places alignment tool does something different. I know mine offered to do the alignment and I said no. They don’t use WiTech.

Dragbug

Reaction score
That’s my guess, and this has actually happened before. There is a guy on the 5thgenrams forum that had windshield replaced, they performed an alignment, and nothing works. The only thing is, it took place a while ago (before this issue), but they still can’t get it working now.
So what is it about an alignment that could break it? Alignment is required for a new one (As opposed to a used junk yard one) correct? I can't remember but is it used ones or brand new ones failing? Or both?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Sorry, hope it didn't sound like I was calling you out for not responding. I was referring to TXJosh.

You mentioned the Laramies. Mine is a 2020 Laramie 3500. I know that model year did come with the DASM, just not standard. Would that make any difference? Have you had anyone fail with a Laramie?
For the 1500 reference on the Laramies having the DASM as standard equipment, I mean that the 2021+ 1500 Laramies have forward collision warning standard (but not adaptive cruise). So all they have to do is add the steering wheel switch, change their abs and HCU (HD owners do NOT need to do that), and configure with AlfaOBD. But ANY trim level 2019+ HD Ram and 1500 5th gen can have the DASM added.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
So what is it about an alignment that could break it? Alignment is required for a new one (As opposed to a used junk yard one) correct? I can't remember but is it used ones or brand new ones failing? Or both?
An alignment is required for new and any time a DIFFERENT DASM is aligned to the truck (meaning that the original one has to be aligned again when it is reinstalled after a different one was installed and aligned to the truck).

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Wonder if the 3rd party windshield places alignment tool does something different. I know mine offered to do the alignment and I said no. They don’t use WiTech.
I do know that the one safelite uses (asTech) can’t do a new one. A few others and I tried, but it fails immediately.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
This is the last known successful alignment procedure that I know of:

That was done on April 23.
On April 24th, @jrf was unsuccessful.

mattjackson86

Reaction score
I do know that the one safelite uses (asTech) can’t do a new one. A few others and I tried, but it fails immediately.
Maybe now mine is “used” as I did the Enter Plant Mode and it has my vin set etc it would work. Just if we think it’s the alignment procedure it may be worth trying to get it done with a 3rd party tool. Hmm

mattjackson86

Reaction score
Small update:

I used a 3rd party scan tool I own that said it could do both “Enter Plant Mode” as well as the alignment.

Just doing an alignment never worked. Just errored out. Prob an issue/limitation of my 3rd party scanner. Says it can do it, but it can’t.

But, “Enter Plant Mode” yielded interesting results. It put the DASM into Plant Mode but did not Exit Plant Mode. WiTechs “Enter Plant Mode” does both and an Enter and then an immediate Exit. It is as soon as my DASM exits plant mode that I get the vehicle configuration mismatch.

So after just entering plant mode with my 3rd party tool I hooked up WiTech and the only DTC was that my DASM was in Plant Mode. No vehicle configuration mismatch. I used WiTech to enter and exit plant mode, same results as before. Instant DTC for mismatch. I entered plant mode again on my scan tool and then back to WiTech (now just the Plant Mode DTC again) and I did an alignment in WiTech. This completed as it always does without error, but upon completion for a split second my Dash said FWC active with braking. WiTech showed no DTCs. Then a second later the same Vehicle Configuration Mismatch DTC appeared.

So does alignment need to run on a DASM in Plant Mode?
WiTech doesn’t allow you to put it into Plant Mode and leave it there. Only Enter and Exit.

I used my tool again and entered plant mode and I am going to drive around like this for a few days. See if being in plant mode does anything after a few drive cycles. Update the configuration or something.

I’ll then try an alignment again in WiTech. Other test could be leaving it in Plant Mode and finding another 3rd party tool to do the alignment, but trying to not pay somebody to do that and have it fail or be a hassle.

Last edited:

Dragbug

Reaction score
I used my tool again and entered plant mode and I am going to drive around like this for a few days. See if being in plant mode does anything after a few drive cycles. Update the configuration or something.

I’ll then try an alignment again in WiTech. Other test could be leaving it in Plant Mode and finding another 3rd party tool to do the alignment, but trying to not pay somebody to do that and have it fail or be a hassle.
Any updates on this?

jrf

Reaction score
Small update:

I used a 3rd party scan tool I own that said it could do both “Enter Plant Mode” as well as the alignment.

Just doing an alignment never worked. Just errored out. Prob an issue/limitation of my 3rd party scanner. Says it can do it, but it can’t.

But, “Enter Plant Mode” yielded interesting results. It put the DASM into Plant Mode but did not Exit Plant Mode. WiTechs “Enter Plant Mode” does both and an Enter and then an immediate Exit. It is as soon as my DASM exits plant mode that I get the vehicle configuration mismatch.

So after just entering plant mode with my 3rd party tool I hooked up WiTech and the only DTC was that my DASM was in Plant Mode. No vehicle configuration mismatch. I used WiTech to enter and exit plant mode, same results as before. Instant DTC for mismatch. I entered plant mode again on my scan tool and then back to WiTech (now just the Plant Mode DTC again) and I did an alignment in WiTech. This completed as it always does without error, but upon completion for a split second my Dash said FWC active with braking. WiTech showed no DTCs. Then a second later the same Vehicle Configuration Mismatch DTC appeared.

So does alignment need to run on a DASM in Plant Mode?
WiTech doesn’t allow you to put it into Plant Mode and leave it there. Only Enter and Exit.

Interesting.... I'm headed back to the dealer for a few other small items and since they've been really good with me I've asked them to try again. Can't hurt I guess.

Good news is my AlphaODB settings have been in the truck for months now...so.

blbrown

Reaction score
Interesting.... I'm headed back to the dealer for a few other small items and since they've been really good with me I've asked them to try again. Can't hurt I guess.

Good luck! Keeping my fingers crossed

Fieldtec28!

Reaction score
I’ve added it, and me personally- I’ll never own another vehicle without it.
You need the right steering wheel switch with the ACC buttons, the driver assist module that goes in front of the rear view mirror, new mirror cover, and a different windshield that has the mounting bracket for the assist module. You’ll also need AlfaOBD to configure the body computer, and a dealer visit to have the assist module calibrated. It should cost around $1500 if you go with an aftermarket windshield.

**Edit to add**
Parts info is in post 19 of this thread.
ACC install info is in posts 22 & 23.
Adding lane assist info is in post 40.
I have a 2022 Ram 3500 Laramie w/ Cummings. And I’d like to add adaptive cruise. But do not have the lane departure assist -
I have a 12” screen,
Any idea on how to add adaptive cruise and lane assist to my truck.
Is it possible to do this? Any idea on what parts I would need? I’m assuming I would have to replace the mirrors?

Thanks[
-

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Ram 3500 Laramie w/ Cummings. And I’d like to add adaptive cruise. But do not have the lane departure assist -
I have a 12” screen,
Any idea on how to add adaptive cruise and lane assist to my truck.
Is it possible to do this? Any idea on what parts I would need? I’m assuming I would have to replace the mirrors?

Thanks[
-
Everything you asked is answered in this thread. Make sure to read through this entire thread before you do anything.

jrf

Reaction score

Same, Vehicle Configuration Mismatch.... We tried with with 2021, 2022 and 2023 in the BCM as the "year" just in case.

Dragbug

Reaction score
Hmm starting to look more and more like this is no longer possible. Is your truck deleted by chance?

blbrown

Reaction score
To bad WiTech doesn't show what the misconfiguration is. Might be helpful if we had the configuration from a stock HD, 2020 or newer that came with ACC to compare?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
To bad WiTech doesn't show what the misconfiguration is. Might be helpful if we had the configuration from a stock HD, 2020 or newer that came with ACC to compare?
That’s been done to death. Your guys’ BCMs are absolutely configured correctly for ACC. But now I just realized something- Adaptive cruise control configuration is irrelevant to the DASM alignment anyway. It’s the forward collision warning configuration that matters for DASM alignment.
This is proven by the fact that all 1500 TRXs come standard with forward collision warning (with DASM), but not ACC. All that a TRX owner has to do to add ACC is install the steering wheel switch, and make the ACC settings changes with AlfaOBD, and that’s it, no alignment.
So, what we really need to be making sure of is that all the forward collision warning settings are set correctly.

Dragbug

Reaction score
That’s been done to death. Your guys’ BCMs are absolutely configured correctly for ACC. But now I just realized something- Adaptive cruise control configuration is irrelevant to the DASM alignment anyway. It’s the forward collision warning configuration that matters for DASM alignment.
This is proven by the fact that all 1500 TRXs come standard with forward collision warning (with DASM), but not ACC. All that a TRX owner has to do to add ACC is install the steering wheel switch, and make the ACC settings changes with AlfaOBD, and that’s it, no alignment.
So, what we really need to be making sure of is that all the forward collision warning settings are set correctly.
Ok. Sounds promising......

jrf

Reaction score
Ok. Sounds promising......

So who has this working that is willing to give us a dump of your settings to start comparing?

Or if someone gives me a list of settings to try I'll gladly be the test mule.

Ones I found that look related:
VehConfig 3: Collision Mitigation System Present
VehConfig 3: Forward Collision Warning Present

VehConfig 7: Full Central Vision Processing Present

Cust.Set.Menu 1: Forward Collision Warning CSM Present
Cust.Set.Menu 1: Forward Collision Mitigation Braking CSM Present
Cust.Set.Menu 1: Adaptive Front Light System CSM Present

Cust.Set.Menu 2: Forward Collision Warning (FCW) Switch CSM Present
Cust.Set.Menu 2: Forward Collision Warning Single Setting (Warning and Brake) CSM Present

These are all Lane Keep assist seemingly related

Cust.Set.Menu 1: Lane Departure Warning CSM Present
Cust.Set.Menu 2: Lane Keep Assist Enable/Disable CSM Present

Cust.Set.Menu 3: Lane Keep Assist Warning Mode CSM Present
Cust.Set.Menu 3: Lane Keep Assist Sensitivity CSM Present
Cust.Set.Menu 3: Lane Keep Assist Strength CSM Present

VehConfig 7: Lane Departure Warning Present
VehConfig 7: Lane Centering / HAS feature Present
VehConfig 7: LDW Without Haptic Feedback Feature Present

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread