Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding adaptive cruise

Bd2022Ram

Reaction score
Anyways as the post says, has anyone added adaptive cruise to their trucks or is it just not worth the cost.
I have a 2022 ram 2500 longhorn, awesome truck, but id like to add adaptive cruise if possible. It already has blind spot monitoring. Rain sense wipers, auto dim headlights and surround camera. So hopefully most of the sensors are already there? Has anyone undergone the process to do this?

jsalbre

Reaction score
I’m sure Jimmy will have a more in depth answer, but at a minimum you’re looking at the entire DASM (Driver’s Assistance System Module, which is the camera and radar), the matching windshield, the steering box with the electric assist motor, and likely a bunch of wiring, plus some AlfaOBD work, and finding someone who can/will calibrate the system. There’s probably more to it than that of course.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Anyways as the post says, has anyone added adaptive cruise to their trucks or is it just not worth the cost.
I have a 2022 ram 2500 longhorn, awesome truck, but id like to add adaptive cruise if possible. It already has blind spot monitoring. Rain sense wipers, auto dim headlights and surround camera. So hopefully most of the sensors are already there? Has anyone undergone the process to do this?
I’ve added it, and me personally- I’ll never own another vehicle without it.
You need the right steering wheel switch with the ACC buttons, the driver assist module that goes in front of the rear view mirror, new mirror cover, and a different windshield that has the mounting bracket for the assist module. You’ll also need AlfaOBD to configure the body computer, and a dealer visit to have the assist module calibrated. It should cost around $1500 if you go with an aftermarket windshield.

**Edit to add**
Parts info is in post 19 of this thread.
ACC install info is in posts 22 & 23.
Adding lane assist info is in post 40.

Last edited:

jsalbre

Reaction score
You need the right steering wheel switch with the ACC buttons, the driver assist module that goes in front of the rear view mirror, new mirror cover, and a different windshield that has the mounting bracket for the assist module. You’ll also need AlfaOBD to configure the body computer, and a dealer visit to have the assist module calibrated. It should cost around $1500 if you go with an aftermarket windshield.
The HDs without adaptive and lane keep come with the electric assist steering box?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
The HDs without adaptive and lane keep come with the electric assist steering box?
Adaptive steering and lane keep assist are irrelevant to adaptive cruise control, so steering torque overlay is not needed.
In the OP’s case, I believe adaptive steering is standard on the longhorn, which would already have the torque overlay steering gear. So, in order to add lane keep assist as a separate feature from ACC, the 12” screen would get swapped out for the one with the lane assist button.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Adaptive steering and lane keep assist are irrelevant to adaptive cruise control, so steering torque overlay is not needed.
In the OP’s case, I believe adaptive steering is standard on the longhorn, which would already have the torque overlay steering gear. So, in order to add lane keep assist as a separate feature from ACC, the 12” screen would get swapped out for the one with the lane assist button.
Ahh, good point. I tend to think of them as a package deal. I wasn’t considering you might add one without the other.

Bd2022Ram

Reaction score
You would think mine would have adaptive steering being a longhorn, but it doesnt have that either lol

Bd2022Ram

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, guess time to start scavenging some parts.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I’m sure there’s several threads on this forum that are dedicated to discussing “useless” features. This one is about adding adaptive cruise control, and should be reserved to info pertaining to the installation of that feature. That way, anyone interested in adding adaptive cruise doesn’t have to weed through all the unrelated lane assist posts.

[Mod: post references deleted OT posts]

Last edited by a moderator:

Caleyvtwin

Reaction score
Are there any wiring harnesses that need to be added?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Are there any wiring harnesses that need to be added?
Actually, there is. You’d have to swap out the mirror jumper harness for the one that has the driver assist module connector (it goes from the bottom of the passenger A pillar to the mirror). I believe correct harness part number is ~$50.

Caleyvtwin

Reaction score
Actually, there is. You’d have to swap out the mirror jumper harness for the one that has the driver assist module connector (it goes from the bottom of the passenger A pillar to the mirror). I believe correct harness part number is ~$50.
Do you have any details on how to add the system or a link to some details?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Do you have any details on how to add the system or a link to some details?
I’ll post up a more detailed description how to do this sometime this weekend.

**Edit to add**
Parts info is in post 19 of this thread.
ACC install info is in posts 22 & 23.
Adding lane assist info is in post 40.

Last edited:

blbrown

Reaction score
Same here, if Jimmy07 has more info, part numbers, wiring diagram, etc, that would be great!

TXJosh

Reaction score
Bumping this up as I've pulled part numbers up for my VIN (2022 Laramie LH) without adaptive cruise and a random VIN with ACC but the parts list has the same part numbers listed for both vehicles. Anyone have a way to decipher which part numbers are needed to add ACC?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Bumping this up as I've pulled part numbers up for my VIN (2022 Laramie LH) without adaptive cruise and a random VIN with ACC but the parts list has the same part numbers listed for both vehicles. Anyone have a way to decipher which part numbers are needed to add ACC?
This is everything needed to add ACC:
-Rear view mirror adapter- 68338659AA
-Lower mirror cover- 6PA25TX7AA
-Upper mirror cover- 6PA26TX7AA
-(3) DASM mounting nuts- 6509581AA
-Windshield (or equivalent aftermarket part number)- 68362490AB
-Adaptive cruise steering wheel switch- 68365332AC
-DASM/mirror harness (without cab lights)- 68517603AA
-DASM/mirror harness (with cab lights)- 68517609AA
-DASM- The part number is different for each model year, and so far, a used DASM can not be used. I’m in the middle of testing whether it matters which model year part number is used, and a viable solution to clear the original VIN out of a used one so it can be a cheaper retrofit. ***EDIT*** A used DASM can be used. Instructions for dealership tech below***
2019- 56029825AG (I’m not sure if this one is capable of lane assist)
2020- 68454269AG (I’m not sure if this one is capable of lane assist)
2020- 68462656AF
2021- 68484693AD
2022- 04672894AB

When you get the windshield installed, MAKE SURE to have them remove any charges for reinstalling sensors, or calibrating sensors.
You will be installing the DASM yourself, and you’ll have to have the dealership run the calibration. Safelite, or any window installer that uses asTech software (most do) are not capable of taking the new DASM out of plant mode for the calibration. Plus, they charge about $450 for the calibration.

**Sidenote for anyone that already has ACC, FCW, etc that needs windshield replacement, and is paying out of pocket**
Do not let the windshield installer calibrate the DASM, and have them remove any charges for it. It is absolutely not necessary to recalibrate a Ram DASM that was already calibrated before, and hasn’t had the adjustment screw physically adjusted.

***This is what you need to tell the dealership tech to do if using a used DASM:
1) Perform the “Enter Plant Mode” function:
17560C8F-5A1C-4EC4-A622-72D24DD7933F.jpeg

84F8F845-C4E3-4EF6-80B9-BC1221D10E46.jpeg

2) Clear all DTCs. This will get rid of the vehicle configuration mismatch fault so the calibration will run.
3) Run the auto alignment procedure like they normally would:
CA6B158A-1F9C-4ED8-BF58-BDDFD571D342.jpeg

A390F2BF-D0E8-4F30-8F3E-B156D77728C9.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread