Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4500 Camper/Jeep Hauler Build

Razzman

Reaction score
I like Zamp as well and use one of their charge controllers, but their panels are way over priced imo, I use Renogy panels instead especially since I get a deep discount on them. Anyway I also have a Renogy Suitcase carryout that I put up if needed. As a previous comment stated you should connect and disconnect in order, I simply added a breaker inline on the panel power cable to cut power to the panel. Hookup to trailer then engage the breaker to the panel.

My trailer came with a Zamp SAE sidewall port which made it easy to connect direct to batteries. As the carryout has a built in charge controller it's a breeze to put out and connect. Only issue is Zamps sae polarity is reversed versus everyone else's. Had to use a polarity reverse adapter, and due to the weight I devised a method to support the cable. Renogy make a nice carryout in a nice case for a fair price, can't complain. Renogy 200W Solar Suiutcase

Attachments

• 20220427_152230.jpg
    20220427_152230.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220427_161438.jpg
    20220427_161438.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220427_161421.jpg
    20220427_161421.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 23

Razzman

Reaction score
gprguy, for your application since you are in the design phase I would consider Anderson Powepole connectors and exterior port. Way better than an SAE port and can get lock in port and connectors. They also have their bonded zip cable making it easy to keep the cable mess to a minimum. Anderson Powerpole

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Admittedly small beans gear, but I have some Renegy stuff that's been reliable.

They had a big sale a while back where "spin to win codes" "limit of 1" got abused and I/wife/cat/houseplant accounts were able to pick some stuff up dirt cheap.

gprguy

Reaction score
Thanks everybody. I like the look of those Anderson Powerpole connectors, that looks to be the ticket. The truck will have its own Victron MPPT just for these portable panels. From what I know their MPPTs are happy to have the panels disconnected, they just get unhappy if you disconnect the battery with the panels still attached.

Metternacht

Reaction score

They had a big sale a while back where "spin to win codes" "limit of 1" got abused and I/wife/cat/houseplant accounts were able to pick some stuff up dirt cheap.
The houseplant isn't related to this guy is it?
iu

Razzman

Reaction score

Brutal I agree, Renogy isn't bad stuff. Problem is it has a bad rep imo from the Blue Crew on solar sites. There's even a site that states if you mention Renogy we'll delete your post! I laugh my @#! off because while Victron is a Dutch firm and no doubt makes top notch gear, all their stuff is made in China or India just like Renogy (China). Renogy has come a long way in a few short years and if setup correctly can be very reliable. This is the second time I'm using their stuff and have had no issues. I see people all the time setting up Victron $25-30K systems in trailers and just shake my head, it's like they have the Blue Flu and can't stop lol.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Brutal I agree, Renogy isn't bad stuff. Problem is it has a bad rep imo from the Blue Crew on solar sites. There's even a site that states if you mention Renogy we'll delete your post! I laugh my @#! off because while Victron is a Dutch firm and no doubt makes top notch gear, all their stuff is made in China or India just like Renogy (China). Renogy has come a long way in a few short years and if setup correctly can be very reliable. This is the second time I'm using their stuff and have had no issues. I see people all the time setting up Victron $25-30K systems in trailers and just shake my head, it's like they have the Blue Flu and can't stop lol.
I'm a big fan of a bunch of Renogy's stuff, especially their panels, but I've had 4 of their 60A DC-DC chargers die on me without warning in 2 different trailers. I'm finally giving up and replacing them with the new Victron Orion XS.

Razzman

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of a bunch of Renogy's stuff, especially their panels, but I've had 4 of their 60A DC-DC chargers die on me without warning in 2 different trailers. I'm finally giving up and replacing them with the new Victron Orion XS.
That sucks, I never had the need for a DC-DC charger. Never had a bad experience with any of their stuff so far.

jsalbre

Reaction score
That sucks, I never had the need for a DC-DC charger. Never had a bad experience with any of their stuff so far.
I use the DCDC to allow me to run the AC in my RVs while driving. 600Ah of lithium plus 60A DCDC gets me 10+ hours of driving at 90+ temps keeping the trailer at 75.

Sorry for the off-topic @gprguy. Maybe we should move the power/solar talk into another thread.

gprguy

Reaction score
If anyone does start a separate solar thread (not that I object to it being here), link it in here so it's easy to find.

Another busy crazy week at work but I managed to finish up what should be the last welding before powder coat on the frame.

The last piece was a backing brace for the shore power connector so a big heavy cord wouldn't be hanging off the aluminum skin alone.

A quick drawing in Fusion 360's sheet metal tool:

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 16.55.30.png

Cut out on the CNC Plasma table from 14 gauge:

IMG_5880.jpeg

Bent up:

IMG_5881.jpeg

Looks good.

IMG_5882.jpeg

Welded up and finish ground:

IMG_5883.jpeg

And the receptacle is test fit.

IMG_5884.jpeg

IMG_5885.jpeg

I really like the Marinco stuff, our inTech trailer came with one and it looks to be solid.

All that's left before powder is flip it over, finish making a battery strap, test fit it on the truck one last time, and load it on the trailer to go.

gprguy

Reaction score
Last piece to make, for the moment at least. A hold down strap for the big SOK battery. Back to Fusion 360.

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 13.45.19.png

I decided to drill the holes later instead of cutting those on the plasma - they are a little small for the one I have access to.

IMG_5889.jpeg

Bent and drilled.

IMG_5900.jpeg

And it fits. It should be snug once I add rubber under/around the battery and under the strap.

IMG_5899.jpeg

Last thing to do before powder - make sure the tray still fits, just in case.

IMG_5901.jpeg

IMG_5902.jpeg

IMG_5903.jpeg

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can get it hauled up there midweek.

gprguy

Reaction score
While I wait to get the frame back and for my aluminum order to come in next week I'm working on miscellaneous projects and collecting parts that I'll need.

Back when I put the midship fuel tank in I was under the impression that getting the rear chassis harness wasn't doable, or if it was it'd be $500+. I've since found out it's available and I picked it up for $260. Part number for my truck (2022 4500, 84" CA, dual tanks and surround cameras) was 68525916AB. Guessing it may be good for other trucks and years but YMMV.

IMG_5914.jpeg

Kinda neat looking all bundled up like that.

If I'm going to swap it, now's the time before I cover it all up with the bed. It would have been a lot easier to do before the midship tank was in, but I'm sure I'll get it taken care of with only moderate damage to my hands.

This is what the connecting end of the mid chassis harness looked like after I made the needed changes for the fuel tank install last summer..

IMG_5338.jpeg

I need to reverse those to use the proper factory rear harness. No progress pictures since that's kind of boring, but here it is all back to stock:

IMG_5920.jpeg

Tomorrow I plan on swapping the harness - probably won't post anything about that since it's a bunch of black wire loom in black frame rails, but if anything goes wrong I'll be sure to mention it.

gprguy

Reaction score
Finally - back to building today. The plan in general is to sheet the bottom and front (cab side) before it goes on the truck to stay since I can't get my rivet gun in there easily. I also need to drill some holes for the DEF filler lines and wanted to make sure I had them in a decent position so they flow reasonably well. So I started by making the skin for the front drop down sections and just pinning the corners in place.

IMG_5949.jpeg

Then it goes on the truck so I can line up the hoses.

IMG_5950.jpeg

IMG_5951.jpeg

IMG_5952.jpeg

And then I forgot to take a picture of the hoses routed through the holes. But here is the box back off the truck, holes/grommets in place, as well as one of the floor pieces.

IMG_5953.jpeg

The majority of the skin is .063 - thicker than strictly necessary but it should look smoother. The two pieces on the bottom of the drop down sections is .125 because there's a lot of expensive stuff in there and I'd like to protect it all a little more against road debris. The corner trim is yet to be decided, I am experimenting with some different thicknesses.

I've also been collecting more parts for the wiring/plumbing. Here's the breaker panel I plan to use for the inverter - 50 amp main breaker (with appropriate hold down since it's back fed), a 30 amp circuit to feed the camper, and 15 amps for other things.

IMG_5955.jpeg

That's probably as far as I will get this weekend, I was planning to work tomorrow as well but a last minute invitation to go wheeling happened.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread