Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 HD Crowdsourced Order Tracking & Waiting Room

jsalbre

Reaction score
Chevy/GM interiors have really stepped up in the last few years; however my biggest issue with GM trucks the last few years have been transmissions - from half ton to HD they're junk IMO.
9 years in the used car industry I've had to overhaul so many 6L GM transmissions; obviously try to avoid buying trucks/SUV's with transmission problems but sometimes auctions f*ck you on arbitration over them. In some cases we've actually neutral bombed trucks several times before arbitrating them to make the transmission worse so it's obvious and the auction has to take it back.
I haven't had an issue with one yet - and I've actually started avoiding them entirely, but my transmission guy & one of my warranty reps actually both told me in the last couple weeks that the 8L90 GM transmission has a national backorder for the torque converters and some of the electronics. Transmission guy has 4 at his shop that have been waiting on parts for 5+ months. I know the new ones are the 10L transmissions; but with their record on the 6/8 speeds I just wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them. I also don't care for the later model GM trucks because all the gassers have lifter issues 2019+. With them being new trucks, well aware they're under factory warranty but still the inconvenience of having to get out of your expensive truck for days/weeks/months is never fun.

All that being said, I know the ZF Ram/Dodge transmissions are pretty stout; can't really speak on the Aisin 6-Speed as I've heard they're not the greatest - but for what it's worth I've never seen the inside of one in 9 years. Had to wholesale or rebuild a few of the 6-Speed manual diesel Ram trucks though.

This is why I went with Ram instead of GM or Ford or Toyota - I wanted a reliable truck to last me a long time and having spent years off-roading my old XJ Jeep I wanted something capable as well (lockers/LSD, solid front axle, etc) . I've had a couple TRX's through the business and while they are insanely fun trucks, I have never driven anything that was all stock from the factory that absolutely devoured gas like those trucks. Launch control and the suspension was absolutely incredible; but you could literally watch the gas gauge drop just while cruising around. Also I feel like the TRX/Raptors are really meant more for the southwest with wide open dunes than trail riding like we have in the southeast. I don't trust Ford to build a good truck these days even though the Tremor Lariat 7.3 gasser does look very sharp. Actually considered a 392 Wrangler for a long time, but the towing capacity is just so awful ~3,500 lbs; I get it's a Jeep not a truck but damn you'd think with the horsepower/torque it could do more than that despite the softer off-road suspension.
I know we’re off topic here, but the biggest problem with the Wrangler 392 isn’t the towing, it’s the 22 gallon tank on something that gets 10mpg if you coast downhill in neutral with a tailwind.

Shocktrooper392

Reaction score
I know we’re off topic here, but the biggest problem with the Wrangler 392 isn’t the towing, it’s the 22 gallon tank on something that gets 10mpg if you coast downhill in neutral with a tailwind.
Holy hell!!! 22 gallon lmao, that's ridiculous! The TRX's feel like they have a 10 gallon tank while driving but feel like a 100 gal tank when you're at the pump.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Holy hell!!! 22 gallon lmao, that's ridiculous! The TRX's feel like they have a 10 gallon tank while driving but feel like a 100 gal tank when you're at the pump.
Yep, same size tank in my Gladiator Mojave. When I tow my travel trailer I’m lucky if I see 10mpg. And thus the motivation for the switch back to a 2500.

ssrgeoff

Reaction score
For you guys wavering on going the GMC route. "JB Reviews" on YouTube just posted video of a 2024 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW. Can't wait to see what Ram responds with...eventually.

cjh1669

Reaction score
For you guys wavering on going the GMC route. "JB Reviews" on YouTube just posted video of a 2024 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW. Can't wait to see what Ram responds with...eventually.
That video confirms that the new 2024 is pushing ahead of the rest of the brands with their redesigns. Though getting one may be challenging.

Steelhorse67

Reaction score
Well excited and a little frustrated. Truck went into production on 1/17 and thanks to this forum I have the build sheet. I am a little frustrated as others that with what we pay for these things that RAM can change specifics to our order as they wish. It's not a deal breaker but I did not want in any way body-colored bumpers. I am a chrome and black truck guy. More chrome the better. Call me old school but that is how I am. From what I can see now both in build and price and my sheet there is no way to get chrome bumpers on a long horn. Not sure if it has to do with all the sensors or what but I was looking for an excuse to put a Herd bumper on the front anyway. I am just concerned if it will be compatible with all the sensors. Going to try to push dealer for a chrome rear.

Also, curious how long from production to completion.

Thanks to everyone on this site. It is nice to see where we are in the process.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Well excited and a little frustrated. Truck went into production on 1/17 and thanks to this forum I have the build sheet. I am a little frustrated as others that with what we pay for these things that RAM can change specifics to our order as they wish. It's not a deal breaker but I did not want in any way body-colored bumpers. I am a chrome and black truck guy. More chrome the better. Call me old school but that is how I am. From what I can see now both in build and price and my sheet there is no way to get chrome bumpers on a long horn. Not sure if it has to do with all the sensors or what but I was looking for an excuse to put a Herd bumper on the front anyway. I am just concerned if it will be compatible with all the sensors. Going to try to push dealer for a chrome rear.

Also, curious how long from production to completion.

Thanks to everyone on this site. It is nice to see where we are in the process.
Yep, painted bumpers. And it's built.

pr3dict

Reaction score
My order finally got updated to have the issues taken care of. No more Tow mode camera and in D status. However, there is still a material hold for the next 5 weeks so I probably wont see it go D1 or in to production for a bit. My order is in for the GMC Denali Ultimate 3500 and the Chevy High Country 3500. $3000 spread out in deposits. We'll see which one comes in first.

OutWest

Reaction score
Question on the delays that are being talked about. What is the accuracy of the delays? Is this coming from someone who has direct contact with production facility?
Thanks

BSN81

Reaction score
My order finally got updated to have the issues taken care of. No more Tow mode camera and in D status. However, there is still a material hold for the next 5 weeks so I probably wont see it go D1 or in to production for a bit. My order is in for the GMC Denali Ultimate 3500 and the Chevy High Country 3500. $3000 spread out in deposits. We'll see which one comes in first.
Oh that's interesting. Congrats on getting some resolution to your order. Question is, when all 3 arrive around the same time, which one do you pick? Haha.
Fun fact for my old order is that it went into D1 status today per the tracker sheet. So I'll be curious to see what changes they made to make it go through.

Last edited:

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
I'm right behind you mine also went to scheduled !
(Resisting urge to cry as another truck ordered after mine gets scheduled)...Haha.

Maybe I'm not checking the Ram Order tracking site enough daily. That or I need to send a case of tequila to the guy that throws the darts at the production board and hope that ups my chances. :p

Users who are viewing this thread