Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Uconnect 5 12.0 Glitches

clotagames

Reaction score
My understanding weather is part of TomTom. I lost my weather with latest S24.13 update. While researching issue notice my TomTom maps release date was 05/21, so much for having free map updates.
My weather screen. Major fail on Ram’s part. Tired of this junk Uconnect 5

Attachments

• A9DCD1F4-27E7-4392-8571-5B4DEC309530.jpeg
    A9DCD1F4-27E7-4392-8571-5B4DEC309530.jpeg
    369.7 KB · Views: 57

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
At this point I don’t even care about any of the superfluous stuff.

If I could just keep from dropping and reconnect (especially during phone calls), and freezing up I’d be happy.

waveslayer

Reaction score
So the apps icon will not work. I press the button and it flashes on and off on and off

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

baker01

Reaction score
Same issues with CarPlay, Apps page and weather. I have had the truck one week. The weather has never worked. the Apps page is 50/50. CarPlay would connect and then loose connection and then reconnect once or twice a day. This would happen over a 35-50 trip. Yesterday I lost the CarPlay connection and only got it back with a soft reboot. Today I did a 250-mile roundtrip, I turned off the phones WIFI and Bluetooth and connected via USB. I had no issues with the Apps page or CarPlay. I did not try the weather App. I will continue to run it this way and see how it goes.

Last edited:

waveslayer

Reaction score
Same issues with CarPlay, Apps page and weather. I have had the truck one week. The weather has never worked. the Apps page is 50/50. CarPlay would connect and then loose connection and then reconnect once or twice a day. This would happen over a 35-50 trip. Yesterday I lost the CarPlay connection and only got it back with a soft reboot. Today i did a 250-mile roundtrip. I turned off the phones WIFI and Bluetooth and connected via USB. I had no issues with the Apps page or CarPlay. I did not try the weather App. I will continue to run it this way and see how it goes.
My phone has dropped off for a quick 10 seconds already as well. Had the truck 11 days so far. Annoying to say the least

baker01

Reaction score
I have connected to CarPlay with the phones WIFI and Bluetooth turned off for 5 the last 5 days. CarPlay has been stable. I still have issues with the Apps page and weather.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
Guess what probably just (finally) became priority #1 to get corrected...

I like some of the other articles at the bottom of your referenced article.

I was indifferent to the screens, but I’m firmly in the “they gotta go” camp now.

I like Apple CarPlay. In older vehicles or other vehicles I’ve driven where CarPlay is really all there is it works great. It’s slick and useful.

If given a choice I’d go back to manual controls for everything else.

I know I sound like a broken record but our 2021 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy nailed it. The touch screen is small, practical, and just works. There are perfect manual controls for everything else. I really like the manual push button to turn the cameras on and off (then you can control them via the touch screen). I can download updates from the internet, and the subscription services are included for the first five years!

The Hyundai Calligraphy is a way nicer vehicle than the Ram Limited in almost every aspect. And it was half the price of the Ram. I understand that’s it’s kinda comparing apples to oranges, but they are both the high end luxury of their respective class.

I still love the truck and would buy it again. But to say the infotainment system is a disappointment in a $90k truck is the understatement of 2022.

Darmichar

Reaction score
I like some of the other articles at the bottom of your referenced article.

I was indifferent to the screens, but I’m firmly in the “they gotta go” camp now.

I like Apple CarPlay. In older vehicles or other vehicles I’ve driven where CarPlay is really all there is it works great. It’s slick and useful.

If given a choice I’d go back to manual controls for everything else.

I know I sound like a broken record but our 2021 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy nailed it. The touch screen is small, practical, and just works. There are perfect manual controls for everything else. I really like the manual push button to turn the cameras on and off (then you can control them via the touch screen). I can download updates from the internet, and the subscription services are included for the first five years!

The Hyundai Calligraphy is a way nicer vehicle than the Ram Limited in almost every aspect. And it was half the price of the Ram. I understand that’s it’s kinda comparing apples to oranges, but they are both the high end luxury of their respective class.

I still love the truck and would buy it again. But to say the infotainment system is a disappointment in a $90k truck is the understatement of 2022.
I added the necessary stuff to add CarPlay to my 2014 Silverado. Changed the BCM and some other bits and paid to have it programmed for my truck. Janky as hell, but it worked flawlessly.
Traded that in for a 2018 Silverado. Again, the CarPlay worked without a hitch for the 4 years I had the truck.

Never in a million years would I get into a $70+K truck, look at that giant screen that is front and center of the dash and hesitate to think that they didn't have it nailed down and working flawlessly since it's such a presence in the truck.

But here we are...

JimKIII

Reaction score
I built my 2500 with the 8" non-NAV screen. All I wanted was the AM/FM radio; no paring of phones, no SiriusXM, to fancy-dancy BS - just a radio. Even the non-NAV units are flaky with lost radio resets all the time. If there were a way to yard that touch screen mess out of the dash and install just a plain old radio I would. Any way to do that? The rest of the rig is running just fine so I wouldn't need software updates anymore. (yeh right)

Darmichar

Reaction score
I built my 2500 with the 8" non-NAV screen. All I wanted was the AM/FM radio; no paring of phones, no SiriusXM, to fancy-dancy BS - just a radio. Even the non-NAV units are flaky with lost radio resets all the time. If there were a way to yard that touch screen mess out of the dash and install just a plain old radio I would. Any way to do that? The rest of the rig is running just fine so I wouldn't need software updates anymore. (yeh right)
If there is a way to do it, Crutchfield will let you know what you need. I've never ordered from there as they seem to be a bit high on prices, but they're pretty thorough on their aftermarket install kits and integration with existing systems.

CFE

Reaction score
Never in a million years would I get into a $70+K truck, look at that giant screen that is front and center of the dash and hesitate to think that they didn't have it nailed down and working flawlessly since it's such a presence in the truck.

But here we are...

Sad truth - beyond the cummins/towing capability, the 12" screen and the functional concept behind it was a factor in buying a Ram over other 1 tons. Sucks to see that they haven't gotten U-Connect figured out yet - hoping that they work to figure it out and don't bail on the current platform once they go to U-Connect 6

waveslayer

Reaction score
Is anyone else having issues with switching users? I click on my profile after my wife uses the truck and it goes to the edit tab for the profiles. I go to all profiles and click on my name again and it does it over and over. It is very frustrating I can't switch users/profiles. also, anyone have a fix to get the apps to work? my screen turns on for about a second and then off. I thought Sync 3 was bad with Ford and now I miss it!

kennelpj

Reaction score
Got the update today, and it now switches to CarPlay every single time I start the truck, even though I had satellite radio playing. It also switched every single time a video ad came up on my phone screen while scrolling through the Amazon app on my phone.

So annoying and stupid, I’m about to disconnect my phone from the truck permanently. Only had the truck 3 days and it already has a bug so bad I want to return it.
change your settings. There is an option to remember what was used when you shut your truck off last. If you select that setting then car play will open if you just used it or vice versa...didnt have it open then it wont automatically start.

Jsboening

Reaction score
Mines glitchy as well. Reboots at least a couple times on a hundred mile trip up to my cottage and randomly switches between pages. On one trip it totally went black and I had to disconnect the battery to reset it. I’m not super impressed with it so far. Oh and my presets for the radio keep disappearing.

clotagames

Reaction score
Have owned over 25 ram trucks personally and thru work. The Uconnect 5 issues and lack of attention from ram to fix will probably push me to another brand. Those new GMC’s look pretty good right now.

drodegeb

Reaction score
Yeah, the apps thing is a pain, but a soft reset (Holding power button until it resets) fixes it for me whenever it happens. I don't know about the weather, haven't really used it.

But, I did recently have 2 other things happening.
1 - On a trip when my wife connected her phone and used the MP3 Bluetooth, and my phone was still connected with CarPlay her audio would start cutting in and out. Disconnecting my phone and turning off the 2-phone option seems to have corrected it, will keep an eye on this and see if it returns.

2 - Within the last week or so, occasionally the audio acts like an announcement is being made, the volume is reduced and highs are reduced, and after some random amount of time it returns to normal. At one point rebooting my phone seemed to have temporarily fixed it, and I have gone into the device manager and unchecked the carplay for my phone and problem seems to stop. So, I think it's something with my phone. I'll post back if I ever figure it out. Has anybody else had the same experience?

kennelpj

Reaction score
Have owned over 25 ram trucks personally and thru work. The Uconnect 5 issues and lack of attention from ram to fix will probably push me to another brand. Those new GMC’s look pretty good right now.
agree. had a '14 Sierra before this one. Everything worked great. Had a "01 Yukon before that which never had any major issues mechanically either. So far the RAM impression is superficial at best. The new GMC interior looks great, might go back to a 1500 since Im not towing much anyways

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
My U Connect continues to have many issues. As a general rule of thumb I don’t hate tech when it’s useful and works as mostly intended. BUT that is not the case with the U Connect. And I HATE it.

That being said I’d still buy the truck again. I bought the truck for the Cummins, the towing, the ride, the interior, the exterior. It’s just an all around bad ass truck. No other 2500 diesel (for my needs) comes close to what the 2500 offers as a daily driving towing machine.

I’m guessing many on here feel the same. Just need to keep it in perspective.

UNifc6pF

Reaction score
Re: Carplay, my wifes car is an '18 Explorer. I've upgrade the from Sync3.0 to Sync3.4 - both versions of it had carplay work flawlessly (granted not wireless, but even the if I delete wireless setup and deny wireless when re-setting up it still crashes).

Even better feature of the ford - when a text comes in, it doesn't flash to the Carplay to show the notifcation, it's able to do it over the Sync UI. And when on the Carplay UI, adjusting something via buttons will just have the Sync Notification over the Carplay UI. None of this switching screens back and forth.

Uconnect compared to Sync - Sync has it beat easily.

Users who are viewing this thread