Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like the tow mode camera is not available at this time. Anyone know if the trailer 360 kit is available? I have the digital rearview and a 360 kit, but we have a camper (that we won't use often) and a cargo trailer that we use often for farmers markets. By myself I have a hard time maneuvering the tight spaces at the markets when so many vehicles are unloading and then loading back up. It would be nice to get another 360 kit for the cargo trailer. My wife would scream if I used the one for her camper.

I've seen a post that someone wasn't able to get one ordered through their dealer parts.

Someone on cumminsforum had one he was selling. Might look around there. I don't recall if the member is also here.

Rampingup

Reaction score
I took my 2020 in for oil change on Thursday. Talked to the parts guy about getting the cameras for after the fact. He said that he didn't have any parts numbers from Strellantis for the 2022's yet and therefore neither the cameras nor the plug ins are really on the trucks. I took him outside and showed him the plug ins on 3 different trucks, explained what each one was supposed to do and he informed that I was an idiot and they didn't exist. I hope if someone on this forum comes up with parts #'s they will share the numbers as well as the dealership they get them from. I will gladly order and have them shipped instead of going thru these fools.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys I ordered my truck with the digital rear view camera option and this is the plug it has on the bumper. I'm not seeing a multi-pin connector as shown in this thread. What camera is supposed to connect to this and how does it work without the multi-pin connector? My build sheet: https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=3C63R3ML9NG140695

View attachment 28291View attachment 28290

That plug connects the tow mode digital rearview camera to the digital rearview. You need the camera kit to put on the back of your trailer. That is an independent camera system than the 12 pin connector (which is used for the auxiliary cameras and the trailer surround view camera system)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys I ordered my truck with the digital rear view camera option and this is the plug it has on the bumper. I'm not seeing a multi-pin connector as shown in this thread. What camera is supposed to connect to this and how does it work without the multi-pin connector? My build sheet: https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=3C63R3ML9NG140695

View attachment 28291View attachment 28290

If you don't have the 12-pin, your truck doesn't have the 360° camera option.

henrys

Reaction score
That plug connects the tow mode digital rearview camera to the digital rearview. You need the camera kit to put on the back of your trailer. That is an independent camera system than the 12 pin connector (which is used for the auxiliary cameras and the trailer surround view camera system)

Which camera kit do I need?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Which camera kit do I need?

If you want to use the plug you posted previously, you need the Tow Mode Digital Rearview camera kit. That’s the one that interfaces with the plug you posted, and will display on your digital rearview mirror.

owdiss78

Reaction score
I’m selling my cameras that **** was all dealer mistake on clicking on those I don’t want either kit I believe I will have 5 cameras. I’m not mounting and running wires all over my new $80k Montana 5thwheel. There is wireless option already on the camper yea I like the idea of rams kit but to have to run 300’ of wires no thank you

Lary0071

Reaction score
I’m selling my cameras that **** was all dealer mistake on clicking on those I don’t want either kit I believe I will have 5 cameras. I’m not mounting and running wires all over my new $80k Montana 5thwheel. There is wireless option already on the camper yea I like the idea of rams kit but to have to run 300’ of wires no thank you
Do you have a price in mind to part ways with the mistake order? I'm primarily interested in the digital rear view, but could be interested in all.

2022 Patriot Blue 3500 Dually Limited Longhorn 6.7L with 4.11 gears.

owdiss78

Reaction score
Do you have a price in mind to part ways with the mistake order? I'm primarily interested in the digital rear view, but could be interested in all.

2022 Patriot Blue 3500 Dually Limited Longhorn 6.7L with 4.11 gears.

Send me a pm on here and I’m keeping track of anyone interested and worn it out when I ever get the truck I have on order. I just know it will all go on a shelf in garage and eventually be tossed in trash sadly how it goes only can keep so much **** around

RLMandich

Reaction score
AFAIK, XN1 only shows in the Uconnect screen.

XH7 is needed to show in the digital rearview mirror.

Until we get some solid clarification, the way I see it is XN1 gets you surround in the UC5. XH7 gets you a rear camera only in the mirror. If you want both, you have to buy (and mount) both.
Apologies if I am posting these questions in the wrong spot - I'm new to this!

I'm looking to order a 2022 3500 with the A69 Limited Level 1 and AHU 5th Wheel Towing Prep group. Then I'm trying to figure out the camera solutions that will work. I have read pretty much every post I can find on this topic already.

XN1 - Trailer 360 Kit:
Are there any pictures available to show what the cameras look like on XN1? The wired option into the RV is a bit overwhelming but I'm still considering it if the cameras will integrate with the side marker lights.

XH7 - Tow Mode Camera (Wired):
I understand this is the camera to feed into the Digital Rearview mirror. With the Limited package, will I also need to purchase the XFQ or is the truck already going to be wired to accept this camera?

If you have the 5th wheel prep, will the connection for XH7 be in the bed, or on the left side of the license plate on the bumper? If it is only on the bumper, how do you approach using this camera on a 5th wheel?

XFQ - Trailer Camera Wiring:
This option falls off the configure tool when you select the Limited Level 1 package. Does this mean this is already included in the Limited Level 1?

Many thanks to all who contribute to this conversation. This looks like a good community.

-Rolf

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so here’s the main harness from the CVPU to the truck. Looks like 7 pins populated. Also snapped a few pics of the cameras themselves and the dummy plug you place on the trailer to store the harness when not in use.
e17723c308dff806b3c16f350276812b.jpg

bc4c7d243b1194c45c004abdc9d70164.jpg

9e3e8bcd38088aacc882bc4d62cf57a6.jpg

e364823077c4cf61bcc7a17a182bd63a.jpg

4dfb749327fa813cbbb2281b5afc2d59.jpg

[mention]RLMandich [/mention] See above for pictures of the trailer surround camera.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Apologies if I am posting these questions in the wrong spot - I'm new to this!

I'm looking to order a 2022 3500 with the A69 Limited Level 1 and AHU 5th Wheel Towing Prep group. Then I'm trying to figure out the camera solutions that will work. I have read pretty much every post I can find on this topic already.

XN1 - Trailer 360 Kit:
Are there any pictures available to show what the cameras look like on XN1? The wired option into the RV is a bit overwhelming but I'm still considering it if the cameras will integrate with the side marker lights.

XH7 - Tow Mode Camera (Wired):
I understand this is the camera to feed into the Digital Rearview mirror. With the Limited package, will I also need to purchase the XFQ or is the truck already going to be wired to accept this camera?

If you have the 5th wheel prep, will the connection for XH7 be in the bed, or on the left side of the license plate on the bumper? If it is only on the bumper, how do you approach using this camera on a 5th wheel?

XFQ - Trailer Camera Wiring:
This option falls off the configure tool when you select the Limited Level 1 package. Does this mean this is already included in the Limited Level 1?

Many thanks to all who contribute to this conversation. This looks like a good community.

-Rolf

1. XH7 you must have either the Tow Mode Digital Rearview mirror package, or the Safety Group which includes the digital rearview mirror. Once you have either one of these packages, your truck will have the small plug on the left side of the license plate bracket which sends the rear camera signal to the digital rearview mirror. (NOTE: if you select the digital rearview mirror package, but you do not select the Adaptive Cruise Control / Forward Collision package, you will NOT be able to have automatic high / low beam lights)

2. XN1 package utilizes a 12-pin camera connector. If you order a truck with XN1 package, your truck will come equipped with the necessary 12 pin receptacle on the bumper (above the 7 pin trailer receptacle ) and in the bed (next to another 7 pin trailer receptacle). You do not need to order XFQ if you order XN1. However, be advised, from what [mention]Jimmy07 [/mention] has figured out, if you plan to use XN1 (trailer surround) you will NOT be able to use an auxiliary camera at the same time. You can choose EITHER trailer surround OR auxiliary camera (one) but both can not be used at the same time since both run through the 12 pin connector and there aren’t enough pins in there to do both jobs. Also, if you select either XN1 or XFQ your truck will NOT have a 4 pin trailer plug (for small trailers) and the truck does not come with an adapter, you will need to purchase an aftermarket option.

If you are ordering a Limited trim level, then I would suggest you order the Limited Level 1 package which will include the digital rearview mirror (giving you the plug on the left side of the rear bumper) and then all you need to add is the “Wired tow mode camera”, the “trailer surround view camera system” (which will give you the 12 pin plug on the rear bumper) and then the “5th wheel / Gooseneck Towing Prep Group” which will give you the 7 pin and 12 pin plugs in the bed (left side)

There is NO provision for the XH7 “tow mode digital rearview camera” to plug into the bed, it is only available on the bumper.

Also, just be aware that even though you will have two 12 pin plugs (one in the bed and one on the bumper) only ONE of these is “active” as there is only one wiring harness for that system. If you need to jump between two different trailers (one that uses the 12 pin in the bed, and one that uses the 12 pin on the bumper) then you will need to crawl under the truck and disconnect the wiring harness from one and connect it to the other. (This is clearly explained in the operators manual)

Last edited:

RLMandich

Reaction score
1. XH7 you must have either the Tow Mode Digital Rearview mirror package, or the Safety Group which includes the digital rearview mirror. Once you have either one of these packages, your truck will have the small plug on the left side of the license plate bracket which sends the rear camera signal to the digital rearview mirror. (NOTE: if you select the digital rearview mirror package, but you do not select the Adaptive Cruise Control / Forward Collision package, you will NOT be able to have automatic high / low beam lights)

2. XN1 package utilizes a 12-pin camera connector. If you order a truck with XN1 package, your truck will come equipped with the necessary 12 pin receptacle on the bumper (above the 7 pin trailer receptacle ) and in the bed (next to another 7 pin trailer receptacle). You do not need to order XFQ if you order XN1. However, be advised, from what [mention]Jimmy07 [/mention] has figured out, if you plan to use XN1 (trailer surround) you will NOT be able to use an auxiliary camera at the same time. You can choose EITHER trailer surround OR auxiliary camera (one) but both can not be used at the same time since both run through the 12 pin connector and there aren’t enough pins in there to do both jobs. Also, if you select either XN1 or XFQ your truck will NOT have a 4 pin trailer plug (for small trailers) and the truck does not come with an adapter, you will need to purchase an aftermarket option.

If you are ordering a Limited trim level, then I would suggest you order the Limited Level 1 package which will include the digital rearview mirror (giving you the plug on the left side of the rear bumper) and then all you need to add is the “Wired tow mode camera”, the “trailer surround view camera system” (which will give you the 12 pin plug on the rear bumper) and then the “5th wheel / Gooseneck Towing Prep Group” which will give you the 7 pin and 12 pin plugs in the bed (left side)

There is NO provision for the XH7 “tow mode digital rearview camera” to plug into the bed, it is only available on the bumper.

Also, just be aware that even though you will have two 12 pin plugs (one in the bed and one on the bumper) only ONE of these is “active” as there is only one wiring harness for that system. If you need to jump between two different trailers (one that uses the 12 pin in the bed, and one that uses the 12 pin on the bumper) then you will need to crawl under the truck and disconnect the wiring harness from one and connect it to the other. (This is clearly explained in the operators manual)

Thank you, much appreciated!

Yes, the Limited package indicates it comes with the Digital Rearview Mirror. Really odd that they don't set up the connection for the XH7 camera inside the bed though. I'm a newbie at this, but understand you don't put wires across the tailgate on a 5th wheel. So it looks like I either need to:

A) not purchase the XH7 since I can't plug it in. This would make the Digital Rearview Mirror effectively useless when towing.
B) retrofit the plug from the bumper to a position inside the bed of my new truck. I wonder if anyone has done this?

gator6

Reaction score

I have to laugh at the fact that they didn’t put those plugs in series! I mean, you’re only gonna tow one thing at a time!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to laugh at the fact that they didn’t put those plugs in series! I mean, you’re only gonna tow one thing at a time!

The only reason I can fathom is to reduce video noise with what amounts to an antenna tailed off the camera wiring.

I suppose you could build your own Y-cable if so inclined.

gator6

Reaction score
The only reason I can fathom is to reduce video noise with what amounts to an antenna tailed off the camera wiring.

I suppose you could build your own Y-cable if so inclined.

Install a switch?

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
Got the truck Sunday.

Wanted to give a couple pics of the include camera equipment with the XH7 package.

I ordered the XN1 package but it was accidentally left off the order which I'm actually not upset about. I don't think I really needed it, and it saved me about $700.

Obviously haven't had a chance to hook it up and test it yet.

IMG_2313.jpegIMG_2317.jpegIMG_2318.jpegIMG_2314.jpegIMG_2309.jpeg

ACEd

Reaction score
2. XN1 package utilizes a 12-pin camera connector. If you order a truck with XN1 package, your truck will come equipped with the necessary 12 pin receptacle on the bumper (above the 7 pin trailer receptacle ) and in the bed (next to another 7 pin trailer receptacle).
Warning - if you order Rambox, there will be NO Trailer Connections in the bed
Since the Limited defaults to Rambox, I doubt you would get the trailer connectors in bed - and the 5th Wheel / Gooseneck pkg is not available unless you Delete Rambox which would presumable get you the bed connectors
There is NO provision for the XH7 “tow mode digital rearview camera” to plug into the bed, it is only available on the bumper
And this last is a big problem for many of us. Further the Coax / FAKRA connector apparently does not work well with splitters / splices - so even if you got creative and found correct FAKRA connector for bed, it would present a problem. I cant imagine MOPAR has not got something in work - hopefully sooner rather than later.

Users who are viewing this thread