Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you! So it is certainly possible to have the four cameras for the 360, an auxiliary camera inside as well as the digital rearview camera plugged in all at once. That is good to know. I also assume the “two mode” for the rear view camera system means it works in the rear view mirror as well as on the screen when in reverse?

No problem! The tow mode digital rearview camera only functions on the digital rearview mirror. It is a stand-alone and completely separate system from the Uconnect radio screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rampingup

Reaction score
I guarantee you the $730 kit they are talking about is this- 82216068AD. That is the standard analog aux trailer dual camera kit (that comes with one camera). It used the 12-pin, but on 2022 trucks, if you have the regular truck 360 system, you can only use one of those cameras.
Thanks Jimmy.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I guarantee you the $730 kit they are talking about is this- 82216068AD. That is the standard analog aux trailer dual camera kit (that comes with one camera). It used the 12-pin, but on 2022 trucks, if you have the regular truck 360 system, you can only use one of those cameras.

Question jimmy:

If I wanted to use one auxiliary camera inside my horse trailer, as well as my trailer surround view system, how do I connect both systems into the 12 pin connector in the truck? I’m assuming I have to pull pins and relocate them to one common 12 pin plug? Thanks in advance

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Question jimmy:

If I wanted to use one auxiliary camera inside my horse trailer, as well as my trailer surround view system, how do I connect both systems into the 12 pin connector in the truck? I’m assuming I have to pull pins and relocate them to one common 12 pin plug? Thanks in advance

I’ve been meaning to ask someone this that has taken delivery of trailer surround view- can you post a pic of the pins on the 12-way plug from the trailer surround view kit? Looking to see if there are only 7 pins populated, or 10.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve been meaning to ask someone this that has taken delivery of trailer surround view- can you post a pic of the pins on the 12-way plug from the trailer surround view kit? Looking to see if there are only 7 pins populated, or 10.

Yep I will get some pics of mine. It’s still in the box.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score

Ok so here’s the main harness from the CVPU to the truck. Looks like 7 pins populated. Also snapped a few pics of the cameras themselves and the dummy plug you place on the trailer to store the harness when not in use.
e17723c308dff806b3c16f350276812b.jpg

bc4c7d243b1194c45c004abdc9d70164.jpg

9e3e8bcd38088aacc882bc4d62cf57a6.jpg

e364823077c4cf61bcc7a17a182bd63a.jpg

4dfb749327fa813cbbb2281b5afc2d59.jpg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ok so here’s the main harness from the CVPU to the truck. Looks like 7 pins populated. Also snapped a few pics of the cameras themselves and the dummy plug you place on the trailer to store the harness when not in use.
e17723c308dff806b3c16f350276812b.jpg

bc4c7d243b1194c45c004abdc9d70164.jpg

9e3e8bcd38088aacc882bc4d62cf57a6.jpg

e364823077c4cf61bcc7a17a182bd63a.jpg

4dfb749327fa813cbbb2281b5afc2d59.jpg

Alright, so the trailer harness is only capable of trailer surround, no aux camera. You would somehow need to populate 3 more of those positions (2 if using aftermarket camera) to be able to wire up and utilize the aux 2 camera soft key in the radio more cams screen.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright, so the trailer harness is only capable of trailer surround, no aux camera. You would somehow need to populate 3 more of those positions (2 if using aftermarket camera) to be able to wire up and utilize the aux 2 camera soft key in the radio more cams screen.

So it’s one or the other. Surround view or auxiliary camera but not both?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
So it’s one or the other. Surround view or auxiliary camera but not both?

The way it stands, ONLY the trailer surround view can be used on that trailer harness in the kit, no aux at all. That’s not to say the trailer harness can’t me modified to support both. If it can be figured out how to add pins to the 12-way (or I believe there’s a company that can custom build the 12-way), you can cut the harness and add sealed connection points for both trailer surround and an aux camera. Is the harness solid continuous from the 12-way bumper connector to the 12-way trailer CVPM connector?
325A6612-AEA3-4978-A1F3-027EDF39D41C.jpeg

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
The way it stands, ONLY the trailer surround view can be used on that trailer harness in the kit, no aux at all. That’s not to say the trailer harness can’t me modified to support both. If it can be figured out how to add pins to the 12-way (or I believe there’s a company that can custom build the 12-way), you can cut the harness and add sealed connection points for both trailer surround and an aux camera. Is the harness solid continuous from the 12-way bumper connector to the 12-way trailer CVPM connector?
View attachment 27737

Makes you wonder if anyone actually thought this all through. Doesn’t make sense in my mind to offer all these camera options and then only be able to utilize one at a time. Hopefully someone, or we, can figure out

Mark Halwa

Reaction score
You would think, to keep the number of different truck harness family part numbers simple, that selecting XFQ would have all 10 possible wires populated in the 12-pin trailer connector, but I’m not sure how they’ll play that one. They might prep the truck with the exact same XFQ wiring as they did for 2020-2021, which would not include the canbus wires necessary for XN1 in positions 2&3 on the 12-pin. And, conversely, if you only get XN1, they might not include wires prepped in positions 8,9,&10 for an aux camera on the 12-pin.
Right now, the biggest challenge to retrofitting XN1 on a truck not originally equipped with it is getting the settings for it enabled in the BCM. They are not there in AlfaOBD yet, and Ram has already said “this option can’t be added after”, which means they won’t make the sales code available to dealer techs on wiTECH.
If ANYTHING, I would get XN1, and not worry about XFQ. That way, the MOST you would have to do if you wanted to add an aux camera is populate 3 wires, and enable the aux trailer camera setting that we already know exists in AlfaOBD.

I wouldn’t think so. In previous years, the only requirement for having XFQ added was that you needed to choose at least one of the 8.4 radios (because the 5” radios don’t have the aux camera input capabilities).
I have a 2021 Longhorn with the XFQ option (Trailer Camera Wiring - No Camera) and the digital rearview mirror. Does anyone know if I can purchase a single wired camera and have it display on the digital rearview mirror?

Here's my truck configuration:
Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 09.50.06.png

And here's the plug on the right side of my bumper:
IMG_7173.jpeg

And here's the entire bumper:
IMG_7025.jpeg

Attachments

• 2021 RAM 3500 3C63R3FL8MG617466.pdf
    64.1 KB · Views: 39

Rampingup

Reaction score
I hate to ask but what does that MSRP equate to in US dollars???????? I really hope you got a Huge discount.

Mark Halwa

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Longhorn with the XFQ option (Trailer Camera Wiring - No Camera) and the digital rearview mirror. Does anyone know if I can purchase a single wired camera and have it display on the digital rearview mirror?

Here's my truck configuration:
View attachment 27749

And here's the plug on the right side of my bumper:
View attachment 27750

And here's the entire bumper:
View attachment 27751
Another option would be to remove the Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL) from the top of my cab and extend it somehow to the back of my trailer. Considering I have a truck topper on, the CHMSL doesn't do anything anymore. Has anyone successfully done that, or does moving that camera somehow disable the Surround View camera which I really like.

gator6

Reaction score
You Guys made my day. I also ordered the XN1 package which I will not be using because there is no way I am going to drill holes in the side of my new camper to mount 4 cameras. As I stated earlier I'm putting a cap on bed and want to add the Trailer camera to the back of the cap. That will make it easy if my truck has the bumper plug. I will tee into it from under truck and run wire to inside of cap. As for the XN1 package my dealer didn't know exactly what it was. I ordered it on my truck and did some research when I got home and found out about the 4 cameras that had to be mounted on camper. I called my dealer and told him to remove it from my order. He tried several times, but for whatever they would not remove it. Dealer told me if it comes in with it on truck he will deduct the $995. and it does show on my window sticker so I guess my truck just got $1,000. cheaper. lol

Ordered it on my Longhorn, we plan on taking the 5er cross country after retirement. I plan on putting 2000W of solar on top, so no problem adding cameras. The only thing that I don’t like is they’re not usable while driving.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Ordered it on my Longhorn, we plan on taking the 5er cross country after retirement. I plan on putting 2000W of solar on top, so no problem adding cameras. The only thing that I don’t like is they’re not usable while driving.

The cameras are all accessible while driving, they just time out after about ten seconds or so. You can also add the cameras as favorites with direct links to them through the 12” screen. This way you can rapidly click the camera you want as you’re driving and get an instant feed from that view.

gator6

Reaction score
The cameras are all accessible while driving, they just time out after about ten seconds or so. You can also add the cameras as favorites with direct links to them through the 12” screen. This way you can rapidly click the camera you want as you’re driving and get an instant feed from that view.

Nice! But it doesn’t tie into the digital rear view?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice! But it doesn’t tie into the digital rear view?

The digital rearview camera is a separate system which functions with an independent camera. The camera plugs into the port to the left of your license plate bracket and feeds the video to the digital rearview mirror. Once you have it connected all you have to do is switch your digital rearview mirror to the trailer setting and you will get a constant uninterrupted video feed from the back of your trailer through the screen on the mirror.

The surround view trailer system has 4 cameras that are used to create an “aerial” video of your trailer. It functions primarily when the truck is in reverse, and displays its feed on the uconnect radio screen. It can be accessed while driving forward but only for a limited number of seconds. You can also select a view from each of the four cameras independently.

gator6

Reaction score
The digital rearview camera is a separate system which functions with an independent camera. The camera plugs into the port to the left of your license plate bracket and feeds the video to the digital rearview mirror. Once you have it connected all you have to do is switch your digital rearview mirror to the trailer setting and you will get a constant uninterrupted video feed from the back of your trailer through the screen on the mirror.

The surround view trailer system has 4 cameras that are used to create an “aerial” video of your trailer. It functions primarily when the truck is in reverse, and displays its feed on the uconnect radio screen. It can be accessed while driving forward but only for a limited number of seconds. You can also select a view from each of the four cameras independently.

I ordered both with my Longhorn, but I doubt the 40’ trailer cam will fit my 44’ Fuzion, damn shame. I can use it on my car hauler though.

Users who are viewing this thread