Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Aisin Failure Tracking Sheet

pr3dict

Reaction score
Sooo we think they are continuing to build trucks with the bad ring?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Sooo we think they are continuing to build trucks with the bad ring?
That remains unclear.

Ram lists 2023 Aisin-equipped trucks on TSB 21-002-23. Aside from that, there has been no official word or confirmation of any kind that I am aware of. Lots of speculation like “my dealer said it’s corrected for the new trucks”. I guess time and miles will tell the tale since Ram is absolutely silent on this issue. The 2023’s are now on the ground and running so we will see what happens. I have not had anyone report a 23 Aisin failing as of yet.

hexplor1

Reaction score
I've owned both a 2019 AISIN and now a 2022 and both had/have the chirp when aggressively accelerating sometimes. I only have 1k miles on my 2022 so far, but many towing miles on the 2019 and never had any tranny issues, so who knows? :)

Scott424

Reaction score
The tracking sheet is up and running. Please share. If you are on the list, please make sure your data is correct. If not, I can update. Also, if someone is not on there and would like to contribute I can add. Public has viewing and commenting rights only. Thanks!

Link to the sheet:

Scott424

Reaction score
Add me to the list 22 ram 3500 build date 11-22 took delivery 2-4-23 transmission failed 3-3-23 miles at failure were 1542.
Lost 1-4 gears had reverse and I guess 5th gear after a hard jerk. We were towing at the time and came to almost a stop on the interstate when we felt a hard bump and dash display 4x4 not available at this time followed by a check engine light. Dealer has confirmed K1 clutch drum issue and we are waiting on parts kit with an expected ETA of 2 weeks on parts. Dealer is requesting a new transmission but Ram is saying they are not available at this time and they are under an engineering review until mid April.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Add me to the list 22 ram 3500 build date 11-22 took delivery 2-4-23 transmission failed 3-3-23 miles at failure were 1542.
Lost 1-4 gears had reverse and I guess 5th gear after a hard jerk. We were towing at the time and came to almost a stop on the interstate when we felt a hard bump and dash display 4x4 not available at this time followed by a check engine light. Dealer has confirmed K1 clutch drum issue and we are waiting on parts kit with an expected ETA of 2 weeks on parts. Dealer is requesting a new transmission but Ram is saying they are not available at this time and they are under an engineering review until mid April.
Will do!
Sorry it happened to you.
If possible could you see if the dealer will read you the serial number off the side of the failed transmission case also? I’ve been trying to gather those as well. I really appreciate all the information. I will get you on the sheet momentarily.

Scott424

Reaction score
Lost 1-4 gears had reverse and I guess 5th gear after a hard jerk. We were towing at the time and came to almost a stop on the interstate when we felt a hard bump and dash display 4x4 not available at this time followed by a check engine light. Dealer has confirmed K1 clutch drum issue and we are waiting on parts kit with an expected ETA of 2 weeks on parts. Dealer is requesting a new transmission but Ram is saying they are not available at this time and they are under a engineering review until mid April.
Will do!
Sorry it happened to you.
If possible could you see if the dealer will read you the serial number off the side of the failed transmission case also? I’ve been trying to gather those as well. I really appreciate all the information. I will get you on the sheet momentarily.
I’ll go by there today or in the morning and get it myself, the truck is sitting outside but I do know it was manufactured in USA I remember seeing that on the tag. Thanks for taking time to make the sheet and for the add on.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks let me know! The truck is built in Saltillo Mexico but the Aisin is built in USA.

The transmission serial tag will look like this:
D290DA83-52E1-4821-A0C2-B9F9348D7D17.jpeg

amauri

Reaction score
Any guess as to what the serial number code indicates?

Maybe something like:

1st digit = year
2nd digit = month
last four = sequence number for that month

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Any guess as to what the serial number code indicates?

Maybe something like:

1st digit = year
2nd digit = month
last four = sequence number for that month
I thought that might work but there is a “3” for a first digit in one of the serial numbers reported to me. That wouldn’t work for a 2022 truck built in October of 2022.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Just an update for everyone:

Ram revised TSB 21-002-23 on March 8th.
The revised TSB now includes all model years. Years 2019 through 2021 are included only if they have had a completely new Aisin transmission replaced between 2/1/2022 and 12/18/2022.

It is also interesting to note that the TSB now states that it “applies to vehicles built on or before 12/1/2022 (MDH 1201XX)”

This is the first time we’ve seen build dates referenced on the TSB.
1289605B-AA64-4108-BA92-814D42AF3742.jpeg

sidielin1989

Reaction score
I'm one of the most unfortunate

I bought 3 brand new 22 rams 3500 , all 3 are broken down with transmission failure , Clutch Snap Ring Failure .

amauri

Reaction score
sidielin1989...

Not trying to be disrespectful, but if you expect us to believe that you have three broken trucks, you will need to provide additional info.

-please introduce yourself in the new members sub forum https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?forums/new-member-introductions.5/
-what is the build dates and mileage for each truck that failed on you?
-please provide the transmission serial number for each.

sidielin1989

Reaction score
sidielin1989...

Not trying to be disrespectful, but if you expect us to believe that you have three broken trucks, you will need to provide additional info.

-please introduce yourself in the new members sub forum https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?forums/new-member-introductions.5/
-what is the build dates and mileage for each truck that failed on you?
-please provide the transmission serial number for each.
The trucks are at the dealer, can this information be pulled out with the vin #'s

Capt Bill

Reaction score
My 2022 ram Laramie, 3500 HO/Aisin transmission failed at 6000 miles. Took delivery last September. My service manager says an employee was installing a part wrong and that’s why they are failing?? Truck has been there since 1 March I’m third in line waiting on parts. There are 14 truck sitting there now . Same as the rest of the issues, 4 x 4 not available, goes into neutral stalled in the middle of I 10 in Houston. Had a 36 foot toy hauler attached and what a mess. I’m told they are taking parts out of existing transmissions to make repair kits. Dealer said they’ve only had to replace one complete unit so far.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
My 2022 ram Laramie, 3500 HO/Aisin transmission failed at 6000 miles. Took delivery last September. My service manager says an employee was installing a part wrong and that’s why they are failing?? Truck has been there since 1 March I’m third in line waiting on parts. There are 14 truck sitting there now . Same as the rest of the issues, 4 x 4 not available, goes into neutral stalled in the middle of I 10 in Houston. Had a 36 foot toy hauler attached and what a mess. I’m told they are taking parts out of existing transmissions to make repair kits. Dealer said they’ve only had to replace one complete unit so far.
I have it in good authority that the issue started at Aisin. It wasn’t an assembly error but rather a batch of snap rings that were out of spec. Somehow made it past quality control. They fail internally and fall out of position on the K1 drum. When this happens you lose 1-4 gears instantly.

They initially were rectifying the failed transmissions by installing completely new transmissions but that was suspended starting around 1/11/23 when they released the TSB (21-002-23) for this particular issue. There have been numerous cases where trucks that received replacement transmissions suffered another failure of the same type and are subsequently out of service again. The current method to address the issue is ordering a “parts kit” that includes all necessary components to fix the failed transmissions. Some of the parts in the kit are on extended backorder causing significant delays.

If you would like, I can add your truck to the tracking spreadsheet I have going. There are currently 132 trucks on there with confirmed K1 failures.

Users who are viewing this thread