Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Aisin Failure Tracking Sheet

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
"Tolerance Stacking" can certainly cause lots of issues. I've traded "parts" before because of it.
Undeniably. And in the case of these transmissions, it absolutely helps to explain why some would fail instantaneously while others make it several thousand miles before failure. The fit just isn’t the same across the board. A little time and a little wear, and boom. It’s easy to see in that video that the snap ring itself is very easy to remove, so a small amount of variation in tolerance could have a significant effect on how well it does it’s job. I wish I had concrete information to supply as proof but all we’re running on right now is hypotheticals. Science-based and experience-backed, but still hypotheticals. A little transparency from on high would help to put this matter to bed, but the powers that be seem very adamant about keeping their mouths shut. Without some sort of intervention on a higher level, I fear these failures will continue for quite a while until all the bad ones have a chance to hit the road.

Chuck T

Reaction score
The tracking sheet is up and running. Please share. If you are on the list, please make sure your data is correct. If not, I can update. Also, if someone is not on there and would like to contribute I can add. Public has viewing and commenting rights only. Thanks!

Link to the sheet:

Wow, it looks like the later ones are more prone to fail, sound right? Mine was built 11-21, 26500 miles. So far so good. My only issue is when its dead cold the first couple of times through the gears the first one or two upshifts feel almost like a momentary slip. I just figured its the way they are. After a couple minutes its back to normal. Anyone have this?

superjoe83

Reaction score
Wow, it looks like the later ones are more prone to fail, sound right? Mine was built 11-21, 26500 miles. So far so good. My only issue is when its dead cold the first couple of times through the gears the first one or two upshifts feel almost like a momentary slip. I just figured its the way they are. After a couple minutes its back to normal. Anyone have this?
Under a certain trans fluid temp the converter will not lock like it normally does in 2nd or 3rd, so it feels softer when it shifts since the converter dampens the shift

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
It would appear the later ones are more prone but I can’t totally exclude the earlier ones as there are a few 2022 model year trucks on the sheet that were built in 2021 that also failed. I have not personally experienced what you are describing but I have seen a few posts on it.

Chuck T

Reaction score
Under a certain trans fluid temp the converter will not lock like it normally does in 2nd or 3rd, so it feels softer when it shifts since the converter dampens the shift
That makes sense, thanks for the info.

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Got my truck back today. So far so good. We’ll see how Ram does reimbursing my rental fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They paid me very quickly for my rental truck. I lost a hub bearing about a year ago. Part was on back order for 3 weeks and although it was really aggravating, they were good to me.

Timk

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea of what the actual percentage of failure is to date? Mine hasn’t failed, but it’s still at 650 miles and no towing yet. I may just trade it in on something else so I don’t have to deal with it.

NorCalHORam05

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea of what the actual percentage of failure is to date? Mine hasn’t failed, but it’s still at 650 miles and no towing yet. I may just trade it in on something else so I don’t have to deal with it.
I don't think so since we aren't pervy to that information and there hasnt been an offical statement put out or any statement for that matter about these breaking. The list is a small sampling. When was your truck built? Seems the 8/22-12/22 built trucks are the most prone.

Timk

Reaction score
Mine was built 6/22.
I don't think so since we aren't pervy to that information and there hasnt been an offical statement put out or any statement for that matter about these breaking. The list is a small sampling. When was your truck built? Seems the 8/22-12/22 built trucks are the most prone.

Timk

Reaction score
It’s just ridiculous you spend nearly $90K on a truck and you have to worry about such a huge failure. I don’t think it’s right that they know there’s a problem and aren’t more proactive at getting it handled.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ll add that I spoke to our resident data tracking expert @OfficerDirtySanchez on this issue. Based on all of his hard work, he’s pretty confident there were about 30,430 3500’s with HO engines built in 2022. Im not sure if that number includes cab and chassis trucks. I’m fairly confident that there are at least as many failures not on my list as there are ones on the list. I would conservatively estimate there are roughly 300 trucks at this point that have been affected. This is based on the data I collected, as well as my internet browsing through multiple sources and locations as well as conversations I’ve had with individuals who are going through the failures personally. I think it’s likely this issue is still only affecting a small number of the total. Maybe 1-2%. However, the uncertainty about the actual numbers lies primarily in fully understanding the failure and the scope of the problem. We have no idea how many of those flawed snap rings were installed in transmissions. We have no idea which trucks they’re in. And we still have no way of positively identifying the trucks / transmissions at risk. Statistically we can say that, as you increase your mileage on a 2022 without failure, you move further and further away from the probability of yours failing, but we can’t confirm wether that’s because you have a good snap ring that isn’t flawed, or if you happened to get a flawed snap ring in a machined groove that is tighter in tolerance and is “holding on” for now.

Positive confirmation from Ram / Aisin is the only way to know for sure. Until then, this is all an educated guess based on the hard work of a lot of individuals who are contributing to helping understand what’s going on.

Last edited:

unclelala

Reaction score
It’s just ridiculous you spend nearly $90K on a truck and you have to worry about such a huge failure. I don’t think it’s right that they know there’s a problem and aren’t more proactive at getting it handled.
Im certainly not defending Ram but once the trouble is discovered and they start the research, subcontractors information, assembly times etc. etc. it must be quite the undertaking.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
……and they’re still selling them.

That’s the real kicker.

Known issue.
Multiple STAR cases for assistance.
Track record of common failures.
TSB distributed.
Multiple redundant failed attempts to fix.

And yet they’re still selling them.

The only good thing to come of this recent expansion of the grid heater relay recall is that it effectively stopped the sale of potentially flawed trucks. At least temporarily.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Im certainly not defending Ram but once the trouble is discovered and they start the research, subcontractors information, assembly times etc. etc. it must be quite the undertaking.
Indeed.

However we’re at almost 5 months since these failures started showing up and we know as little today as we did then, with the exception of one TSB. They’re certainly not showing any sign of progress and they’re certainly not showing any sign of stopping sales….

NorCalHORam05

Reaction score
Absolutely! On the bright side of ours breaking, (2486 miles) at least we made it home from mark dodge in Louisiana back to northern California on its maiden voyage. Ours is waiting on a complete transmission(almost a month down), that after the engineering review should hopefully not have this issue again, but I'd be liar if I said I won't think about it constantly and plan trips with our trailer and kids accordingly. Especially as we hit the 1st ones failure mileage.

jchangras

Reaction score
So we got a response from our dealership: "The parts are on order, but there is one piece that is not shipped." The c-clip that breaks is not included in the repair pack....so much for a quick fix!!

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
So we got a response from our dealership: "The parts are on order, but there is one piece that is not shipped." The c-clip that breaks is not included in the repair pack....so much for a quick fix!!
Several people I’ve talked to recently have mentioned that the snap ring was one of a select few parts on extended backorder. I’m wondering if they’re attempting to run a new batch of them to make certain they are in spec. Would be a similar scenario to the current grid heater relay recall. They know they have a problem, they know how it has to be fixed, but they need time to get the new parts manufactured and ready for field installation.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Several people I’ve talked to recently have mentioned that the snap ring was one of a select few parts on extended backorder. I’m wondering if they’re attempting to run a new batch of them to make certain they are in spec. Would be a similar scenario to the current grid heater recall. They know they have a problem, they know how it has to be fixed, but they need time to get the new parts manufactured and ready for field installation.

I try hard not to be too terribly annoyingly pedantic, but when words chosen can affect search results, I feel compelled... :)

Grid Heater RELAY recall.

I see lots of talk about the grid heater killer bolt, and the (new) relay recall doesn't address that. Again, not being critical, just precise.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I try hard not to be too terribly annoyingly pedantic, but when words chosen can affect search results, I feel compelled... :)

Grid Heater RELAY recall.

I see lots of talk about the grid heater killer bolt, and the (new) relay recall doesn't address that. Again, not being critical, just precise.
You are correct, and I agree. There’s enough inaccuracies floating around as it is, and I believe in being specific when speaking about these issues as well. I think I’m getting lazy, too much typing trying to keep up with these failures. I amended the original comment to reflect the proper context and I appreciate the call out, it keeps me honest.

gwh2493

Reaction score
Well I’ve had my truck back for one week. The current project is very close to me, so I’ve only put about 100 miles on the new tranny… but I’ve noticed something I wonder if anyone else had issue with.

I posted when I first bought my truck that it made a beeping or chirping noise during the shift of 3rd and 4th under load (towing or pedal down moving). I took it to the dealer I bought it from and they had their head service manager ride with me to hear it. He heard it and said he didn’t know what it could be. I tested him by asking if it might be the waste gate and he said it could be (our trucks don’t have waste gates). So I needless to say I didn’t go back there for service.

That chirp did go away after about 1500 miles. Some of the guys in here suggested that can be normal with these aisins (this is my first one).

However, at least so far, this transmission doesn’t chirp at all.
So I’m curious if anyone else experienced the chirp in either their failed transmission or their replacement? It’s the only other difference I can remember or feel so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I noticed mine made the same "chirp" noise from day one. This past Friday mine trans let go at just under 7000 miles .

Users who are viewing this thread