Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Aisin Failure Tracking Sheet

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
The tracking sheet is up and running. Please share. If you are on the list, please make sure your data is correct. If not, I can update. Also, if someone is not on there and would like to contribute I can add. Public has viewing and commenting rights only. Thanks!

Link to the sheet:

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that's just wonderful, I hope they can narrow it down to a production range.
I have a 1400 mile round trip planned this summer pulling my 20k 5th wheel, now this is going to be on my mind the whole trip
While this is a step in the right direction, I don’t think this will resolve much. When the snap ring fails, it takes the transmission out. This is a document to help technicians identify causes of the failure and do diagnostics. There’s still no way to know if your truck has the faulty snap ring unless they can pinpoint specific sequence numbers based on build information. I still think this is ultimately going to end in a recall. It’s important to note that the TSB extends in to 2023 model year trucks so to me, that means they’re still trying to identify which trucks are effected.

DeadEnd

Reaction score
I was hoping there would be effected VIN ranges given in the TSB. Maybe in time they will. Also appears it will roll into the 23MY trucks too.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
While this is a step in the right direction, I don’t think this will resolve much. When the snap ring fails, it takes the transmission out. This is a document to help technicians identify causes of the failure and do diagnostics. There’s still no way to know if your truck has the faulty snap ring unless they can pinpoint specific sequence numbers based on build information. I still think this is ultimately going to end in a recall. It’s important to note that the TSB extends in to 2023 model year trucks so to me, that means they’re still trying to identify which trucks are effected.
Thank you for all of your work!

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I was hoping there would be effected VIN ranges given in the TSB. Maybe in time they will. Also appears it will roll into the 23MY trucks too.
I was hoping to see that too. I spoke to a dealer tech that shared the TSB info. He said the complete Aisin transmission is on back order through their network with a 60+ day lead time. There are 260 currently on-order. Ram wants them to repair the broken transmissions because they’re afraid the full replacement transmissions could be just as defective as the originals. There’s a chance it could have the same incorrectly manufactured part as the original. Sounds like Ram is still trying to pinpoint the specifics of which trucks are affected.

jkempken

Reaction score
I wonder what happened in MY22 that caused this to suddenly happen and what the actual MFG defect is. Wonder if they changed supplier on the snap ring and the hardness spec isn't quite right.

superjoe83

Reaction score
I grabbed a couple pictures from the Google on what the K1 clutch drum looks like and the snap ring location just in case someone is interested.
The K1 clutch Is applied in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, it is not applied in 5th, 6th, and reverse
s-l1600+(15).jpgs-l1600+(16).jpg

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder what happened in MY22 that caused this to suddenly happen and what the actual MFG defect is. Wonder if they changed supplier on the snap ring and the hardness spec isn't quite right.
From what I’ve heard from some folks on the inside, it’s a manufacturer change that supplied a part that is not machined properly. There’s a groove that’s not machined correctly and it’s allowing the K1 clutch snap ring to fail. Once that happens, it’s all over. Ram / Aisin are aware of the issue, but based on the TSB they released yesterday, I’d say they’re still in the process of tracking down specifics on which transmissions / trucks are affected because the TSB covers 2022-2023 and does not specify any particular VIN grouping. Even though the TSB mentions all 2022 and 2023 trucks, I really do believe it’s only affecting a certain number of trucks built during a specific timeframe during the 22 build process, more towards the mid to late timeframe.

Last edited:

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I grabbed a couple pictures from the Google on what the K1 clutch drum looks like and the snap ring location just in case someone is interested.
The K1 clutch Is applied in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, it is not applied in 5th, 6th, and reverse
View attachment 50159View attachment 50160
Good info. And clearly explains why you lose most of your forward but retain reverse.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Got my truck back today. So far so good. We’ll see how Ram does reimbursing my rental fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s great news! Do you know if they did a complete transmission swap, or repair the original one with new parts per the TSB?

Also, I’ll add this update to your comments section on the tracking sheet.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Complete swap. My service advisor and the techs haven’t seen the TSB yet (other than me telling them about it) and my replacement was approved and sent before that came out. I called to see if they could just repair it, because that’s what I’d rather in this case so I don’t have another one go. It’s still unclear to me if a replacement is required as it seems that they could be repaired in at least some cases. I don’t know. I just have to hope and pray my replacement is a good one… and if it’s not next time I’ll get it repaired instead. I was without my truck exactly 30 days.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Complete swap. My service advisor and the techs haven’t seen the TSB yet (other than me telling them about it) and my replacement was approved and sent before that came out. I called to see if they could just repair it, because that’s what I’d rather in this case so I don’t have another one go. It’s still unclear to me if a replacement is required as it seems that they could be repaired in at least some cases. I don’t know. I just have to hope and pray my replacement is a good one… and if it’s not next time I’ll get it repaired instead. I was without my truck exactly 30 days.

Ok I’ll add that info to your line on the sheet. Hopefully the swapped one will be a good one for you.

From how I read the TSB, it makes it sound like the repair is able to be performed without issues and that is the preferred method from Ram. That way they know the parts going in are machined correctly.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
That’s how I read the TSB too. As soon as I saw it I called them to see. I’m sure for guys in the future it would be easier, quicker, and give more confidence to have the defective parts replaced.

aearles

Reaction score
The tracking sheet is up and running. Please share. If you are on the list, please make sure your data is correct. If not, I can update. Also, if someone is not on there and would like to contribute I can add. Public has viewing and commenting rights only. Thanks!

Link to the sheet:

You can add me to the list! My 10-22 built 3500 DRW failed at 2800 miles while towing an 18k fifth wheel on 12/12. Dealer (Chapman Las Vegas) had two more just like it. It’s been sitting waiting for back order trans but just got notified this week that new trans shipped out 1/17 (interesting since it shipped after TSB), supposed to arrive this week but haven’t heard any update except current promised date is 1/29. I just came across this thread and TSB and let them know, asking if there’s anyway to determine if replacement has the fix or if we should order repair kit instead. I’ll post any updates here.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
You can add me to the list! My 10-22 built 3500 DRW failed at 2800 miles while towing an 18k fifth wheel on 12/12. Dealer (Chapman Las Vegas) had two more just like it. It’s been sitting waiting for back order trans but just got notified this week that new trans shipped out 1/17 (interesting since it shipped after TSB), supposed to arrive this week but haven’t heard any update except current promised date is 1/29. I just came across this thread and TSB and let them know, asking if there’s anyway to determine if replacement has the fix or if we should order repair kit instead. ‍♂️ I’ll post any updates here.
Will do.
Send me a PM if you get any updates or have any questions.

aearles

Reaction score
Also fighting FCA to cover an F350 rental reimbursement, they only want to cover up to $50/day and I’m paying $80…
Anyone have any luck with that fight?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone who is contributing to the sheet and helping us to gather info on these failures. We`re close to 50 trucks at this point and growing daily. I`ve been hearing of failures from new owners almost daily. If you are currently on the sheet, please update on the status of your truck as often as you can so that the information reflected is up to date and accurate. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread