Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Aisin Failure Tracking Sheet

rchris1390

Reaction score
I had my buddy who sold me the truck check my VIN and it didnt appear for a CSN 71A either, but I still had the snap ring failure. From reading all the responses to this post it still sounds like they dont know how far reaching the problem is. They may have narrowed it down, but my guess is that these failures will be a problem for the next year or two. The snap ring seems to fail somewhat fast and at low mileage for most. There are several thousand 3500, 4500, and 5500's affected and thats only what RAM has "identified" through tracking the issue, though as stated by one of the moderator's who helped start reporting this, many VIN's that arent on the list are still having the failure. My guess is nobody who bought a 3500+ in that time frame is really in the clear...

Dodgeman

Reaction score
I had my buddy who sold me the truck check my VIN and it didnt appear for a CSN 71A either, but I still had the snap ring failure. From reading all the responses to this post it still sounds like they dont know how far reaching the problem is. They may have narrowed it down, but my guess is that these failures will be a problem for the next year or two. The snap ring seems to fail somewhat fast and at low mileage for most. There are several thousand 3500, 4500, and 5500's affected and thats only what RAM has "identified" through tracking the issue, though as stated by one of the moderator's who helped start reporting this, many VIN's that arent on the list are still having the failure. My guess is nobody who bought a 3500+ in that time frame is really in the clear...
Not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks for replying.

Adam06

Reaction score
Received mine back on Friday, the tech said the snap ring had already came loose and things were misaligned. Drives the same as before

95Ctd

Reaction score
Dropped mine off Sat 1/13.
Was called Tuesday 1/16 that I can come pick it up while they wait for the parts.
Picked up Thursday 1/18 and confirmed with the parts counter lady that they had not done any tearing apart of anything and that they ordered the parts for the 71A snap ring and Y43.
They left my RO open so that when they get the parts they can do the repair.

At least there is no blame on me if she grenades before then with a recall and a open repair ticket.
No updates for me. TC bolts are all they are waiting on they said. Silly part to be waiting on.

BCCA

Reaction score
Sounds like a classic K1 failure. I will get a row started on the spreadsheet for you. Please keep me updated on your status as you can.
Got the call that mine is repaired as of today. I will fly up to get it this weekend followed by 12 hour drive back down home. K1 assembly, oil pump seals, and random hardware is all that is on the invoice. Will update if there's issues.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Got the call that mine is repaired as of today. I will fly up to get it this weekend followed by 12 hour drive back down home. K1 assembly, oil pump seals, and random hardware is all that is on the invoice. Will update if there's issues.
Ok sounds good. Keep me updated and check in with me once you get back so that I can update your info on the spreadsheet

BCCA

Reaction score
Ok sounds good. Keep me updated and check in with me once you get back so that I can update your info on the spreadsheet

The truck made it from Nashville to South of Orlando fine. Shifting was not good 1 through 4. Nearly turned around but wanted it at a closer dealer. Drive about 400 miles. Stopped for food and fuel was better than before when I took off but still not great. Drove 350 miles and made it here. Took it to the car wash this morning and id say the shifting has gotten about to the acceptable point. It must take heat then a key cycle for trans ecm make changes to shift calibrations.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
The truck made it from Nashville to South of Orlando fine. Shifting was not good 1 through 4. Nearly turned around but wanted it at a closer dealer. Drive about 400 miles. Stopped for food and fuel was better than before when I took off but still not great. Drove 350 miles and made it here. Took it to the car wash this morning and id say the shifting has gotten about to the acceptable point. It must take heat then a key cycle for trans ecm make changes to shift calibrations.
Ok if you get me this info I’ll add it to the spreadsheet:

1. Date you ordered the truck (if applicable)

2. Date of manufacture (See sticker on driver door for "date of manufacture (Build date))

3. Date you purchased the truck

4. Mileage on odometer at the time of failure

5. Serial Number of failed transmission (see blue stamped metal tag on side of the transmission. It will be something like "2H-2345"

6. Serial Number of replacement transmission (if applicable)

7. Were you towing at the time of failure?

8. Did 1st through 4th gear work?

9. Did reverse work?

10. What date did the transmission fail?

11. When was the truck returned to you after repair?

12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts?

13. Was / Is the truck currently identified under Customer Satisfaction Notification 71A?

BCCA

Reaction score
Ok if you get me this info I’ll add it to the spreadsheet:

1. Date you ordered the truck (if applicable)

2. Date of manufacture (See sticker on driver door for "date of manufacture (Build date))

3. Date you purchased the truck

4. Mileage on odometer at the time of failure

5. Serial Number of failed transmission (see blue stamped metal tag on side of the transmission. It will be something like "2H-2345"

6. Serial Number of replacement transmission (if applicable)

7. Were you towing at the time of failure?

8. Did 1st through 4th gear work?

9. Did reverse work?

10. What date did the transmission fail?

11. When was the truck returned to you after repair?

12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts?

13. Was / Is the truck currently identified under Customer Satisfaction Notification 71A?
You have me on line 358. Only things missing is February 6th complete date. 37 days down time. Wasn't able to pick up until February 10th 41 days after failure.

Only replaced K1 clutch assembly, new bolts and replaced seals in oil pump.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
You have me on line 358. Only things missing is February 6th complete date. 37 days down time. Wasn't able to pick up until February 10th 41 days after failure.

Only replaced K1 clutch assembly, new bolts and replaced seals in oil pump.
Ok thanks for the update!

St3v3n

Reaction score
Looks like I have same issue, 2022 3500. I dont have all the info asked for above yet, it was towed to dealer last night. Towing TH about 12000 pounds, no indication of any problems, once on highway, felt jerking twice, transmission light on. Pulled over, put in park, unable to Drive from there, no movement, reverse worked. about 13K miles on the truck.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like I have same issue, 2022 3500. I dont have all the info asked for above yet, it was towed to dealer last night. Towing TH about 12000 pounds, no indication of any problems, once on highway, felt jerking twice, transmission light on. Pulled over, put in park, unable to Drive from there, no movement, reverse worked. about 13K miles on the truck.
Sounds about right. Get me the info above when you can and I’ll add you to the spreadsheet. Keep me updated as you can. I’m assuming you didn’t get any notice from Ram for 71A?

95Ctd

Reaction score
Dealer called me today said mine was done but it was shifting funny so they said they emailed diag info to star to see ifnthere was any info our about it. I did ask and they said they did do the reset and it is in relearn and seemed funny. Anyone have anything similar happen?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Dealer called me today said mine was done but it was shifting funny so they said they emailed diag info to star to see ifnthere was any info our about it. I did ask and they said they did do the reset and it is in relearn and seemed funny. Anyone have anything similar happen?
If they have everything reinstalled correctly and completed the dealer relearn successfully, my first guess would be that something was overlooked during the tear down phase and you may have had additional damage or debris that didn’t get repaired.

flan

Reaction score
If they have everything reinstalled correctly and completed the dealer relearn successfully, my first guess would be that something was overlooked during the tear down phase and you may have had additional damage or debris that didn’t get repaired.
I didn’t see it mentioned, but was his a failure or CSN case? Me thinking the latter?

95Ctd

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking to. Hopefully they'll get something figured out soon. I'd rather not have to spend my time fighting for a new unit and potentially for some sort of payment reimbursement for the down time. 11 months of ownership and I'm getting close to 3 months of total down time. Not off to a great start for my 3rd Ram truck!

95Ctd

Reaction score
I didn’t see it mentioned, but was his a failure or CSN case? Me thinking the latter?
CSN case. Also found out mine is the first one they've had in for it so add in some learning curve . Doubt I'm the first Aisin to get work done in the Myrtle Beach area.

95Ctd

Reaction score
CSN case. Also found out mine is the first one they've had in for it so add in some learning curve . Doubt I'm the first Aisin to get work done in the Myrtle Beach area.
I will add that the staff at the dealer it is at for this have been nothing but great!
The dealer I bought it from is mainly a GM but got CDJR added right before covid so they couldn't finish putting up their CDJR building. Not sure if they got that division fully staffed and trained so I took it to a big Mama Mopar exclusive dealer for this figuring they'd have more networking abilities if they ran into parts issues.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
So you took your truck in only to have the snap ring replaced under the CSN? It didn’t previously fail? (Sorry if you already mentioned this previously). You’ll have to forgive me, I have spoken to so many people regarding these transmissions that it’s difficult for me to keep track of them all.

Users who are viewing this thread