Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Stop Sale on certain diesels incoming (intake air heater relay). - Recall Y76 REFRESHED OCT 2021

Southernspeed

Reaction score
I had the service advisor look it up - because I wanted to know the temps. He couldn't find the numbers just the state that the test was performed.
Considering the consequences of a bad relay, if they couldn't produce the figures I'd be asking (demanding) the tech does it again and records them. Tech don't always do what they should when they can cut corners.

wolfpack

Reaction score
Considering the consequences of a bad relay, if they couldn't produce the figures I'd be asking (demanding) the tech does it again and records them. Tech don't always do what they should when they can cut corners.
Most dealerships run flat-rate shops (fixed payment for a job no matter how long it takes), so the techs are motivated to move as fast as possible. Which means corner-cutting. I’ve had everything imaginable happen with dealer service. Busted transmission pan bolts with the heads simply ”glued“ back on with RTV, impact air wrench used on an oil pan drain plug, oil drained all over the skid plates so it drips like crazy because it would take too much time to undo the 4 bolts and move the plate out of the way, oh the list goes on and on. You really don’t want a dealer touching your truck if you can avoid it. Maybe there are exceptions but I’ve yet to see one. My experience is slipshoddiness just about all the time. I do most work myself but if I can’t or really don’t want to then it’s a local shop or worst case AAA. They are better than a dealer, hands down.

So I’ll wait a bit before taking mine in for it’s inevitable temperature “test” and leave with goop all over the back of the igniter - I mean relay - and then buy the AB one myself whenever I can. Meanwhile the truck is getting covered up for the winter with Stabil in the tank and a trickle charger on the batteries. My 2500 gasser is off the assembly line and in the what seems to be 2 month process of shipping so maybe by Christmas I’ll have another HD truck. Put a bow on it.

Robtheelder

Reaction score
I have learned over the years that shopping around for a good dealer shop can pay dividends. Most dealers sell cars to pay the bills but make their real money on the back end in the shop. They want to get high productivity, but they also need the customer to be happy about the experience so they will keep coming back.

I make it a point to go meet the maintenance manager and to create a relationship with the service writer. This lets them know that I give a crap and that I am paying attention. They will generally go out of their way to make sure you are happy. And if there is an issue, you can go directly to the boss and get it addressed.

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
The dealership experience starts at the top (owner). Service managers, and service writers come and go for varying reasons, as do techs.
I worked at a large Dodge, Chrysler, Ram Dealership as a mechanic. I did mostly warranty work, and was also one of 2 Cummins mechanics. The owner had a strict policy that a vehicle would not leave the shop until it was cleaner than when it came in. That was on the mechanic. Shop foreman checked it. It always meant that you would not get paid for that portion of work. It sucked not getting paid for that, but we dealt with it.
I absolutely hate going to a dealership for anything, because that type of service is non-existent in shops today, at least the last 14 or so visits in a lot of different states. We fulltimed in our 2015 Ram ctd, pulling a 43ft 5th wheel trailer. All I know is in every case I had to make phone calls to the service manager complaining about the lack of attention to detail. If any. Oil dripping from under the vehicle after oil changes, not removing diff covers to clean out housings, instead they suck the oil out (lame), having a tech tell me the oil was from my own bad practices doing my own oil changes (I never lost a drop of oil) it just pisses me off. Last tech told me that I came unglued and showed him where the timing gear cover was leaking. He finally admitted I was right, he then had to do the same job 3 times. Cab off every time. I'd get the truck back finding all kinds of wires and harnesses routed wrong, laying on the drive shaft or exhaust manifold etc. Had to trade that truck in, because it was in and out of rhat shop so many times I completely lost confidence in the truck. I do all the work I can myself, but sometimes you have to bring it to the dealership for warranty work. I've got the pending Y76 grid heater recall . So I buy a $80k truck, and I can't park it in my garage or near a business or other vehicles because it might catch on fire. Bs. They to me they were months behind, and it would take a week to correct, when I know it only takes at max 3 hours. I just want to grab the little neck bearded pos by the throat until his neck skin oozes between my fingers. Rant over.

Robtheelder

Reaction score
LOL Sorry for your pain.

I have had my tech over to the house for food and drink. He takes good care of me. :)

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
The dealership experience starts at the top (owner). Service managers, and service writers come and go for varying reasons, as do techs.
I worked at a large Dodge, Chrysler, Ram Dealership as a mechanic. I did mostly warranty work, and was also one of 2 Cummins mechanics. The owner had a strict policy that a vehicle would not leave the shop until it was cleaner than when it came in. That was on the mechanic. Shop foreman checked it. It always meant that you would not get paid for that portion of work. It sucked not getting paid for that, but we dealt with it.
I absolutely hate going to a dealership for anything, because that type of service is non-existent in shops today, at least the last 14 or so visits in a lot of different states. We fulltimed in our 2015 Ram ctd, pulling a 43ft 5th wheel trailer. All I know is in every case I had to make phone calls to the service manager complaining about the lack of attention to detail. If any. Oil dripping from under the vehicle after oil changes, not removing diff covers to clean out housings, instead they suck the oil out (lame), having a tech tell me the oil was from my own bad practices doing my own oil changes (I never lost a drop of oil) it just pisses me off. Last tech told me that I came unglued and showed him where the timing gear cover was leaking. He finally admitted I was right, he then had to do the same job 3 times. Cab off every time. I'd get the truck back finding all kinds of wires and harnesses routed wrong, laying on the drive shaft or exhaust manifold etc. Had to trade that truck in, because it was in and out of rhat shop so many times I completely lost confidence in the truck. I do all the work I can myself, but sometimes you have to bring it to the dealership for warranty work. I've got the pending Y76 grid heater recall . So I buy a $80k truck, and I can't park it in my garage or near a business or other vehicles because it might catch on fire. Bs. They to me they were months behind, and it would take a week to correct, when I know it only takes at max 3 hours. I just want to grab the little neck bearded pos by the throat until his neck skin oozes between my fingers. Rant over
LOL Sorry for your pain.

I have had my tech over to the house for food and drink. He takes good care of me. :)
No laughing matter at all.

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
2 Dec my truck goes in for the y76 exam.
It's already got the AB Relay, and if it fails they have a new part waiting. Fingers crossed. I've driven it 7100 miles and been coast to coast and back with no issues so far.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Just thought I’d update. I finally got around to pulling the relay back out to inspect the job done by the dealer for recall. Here you go. Mine passed the temp test, but was still RTVd, for what it’s worth. I attached a “before” pic as well from when I initially pulled it to inspect.

Attachments

• 4A490074-E42F-4692-8E54-4DF44E6401D4.jpeg
    4A490074-E42F-4692-8E54-4DF44E6401D4.jpeg
    596.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 9174ECC8-76D6-4A1E-AADD-86A4469A27D6.jpeg
    9174ECC8-76D6-4A1E-AADD-86A4469A27D6.jpeg
    596.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 02AA6018-5192-43C6-BB6B-2CFAD28516E2.jpeg
    02AA6018-5192-43C6-BB6B-2CFAD28516E2.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 65

Will_T

Reaction score
Just thought I’d update. I finally got around to pulling the relay back out to inspect the job done by the dealer for recall. Here you go. Mine passed the temp test, but was still RTVd, for what it’s worth. I attached a “before” pic as well from when I initially pulled it to inspect.
Thanks! Looks like they just smeared the RTV over the tape? Or maybe they removed the tape first, can't tell from the photo. In any case, your dealer gave you the RTV which I think is better than doing nothing. But most dealers seem not to be doing that and the recall notice also does not seem to call for it. Most that pass just get sent on their way and told not to worry! As I and others have pointed out, it would be nice if Ram could explain why they believe, (if they even do), that if a relay tests good at this moment, it will be good to go for the duration. Can't a good test now mean only that the relay has not failed yet? Maybe it never will, or maybe it will down the road. You could assume that if it is a manufacturing defect that can be 100% tested for, then all is good. But that would be just an assumption as Ram has not explained enough detail about what is really happening.

Robtheelder

Reaction score
When they run the ten test cycles back to back, there is criteria for maximum temperature reached and I am sure also for rate of increase. I am guessing that the test will identify a "bad" unit before its failed as a result of the above test results.

Will_T

Reaction score
I am guessing
That is sort of what I meant. Some of us are assuming, others are guessing, but we are all doing our best to try and understand exactly what the problem is. Just saying it would be nice if there some more specific information from Ram so we would not have to assume or guess.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
2 Dec my truck goes in for the y76 exam.
It's already got the AB Relay, and if it fails they have a new part waiting. Fingers crossed. I've driven it 7100 miles and been coast to coast and back with no issues so far.
Hi,
Glad to hear you are getting the recall completed. Please feel free to contact us via private message if you need any assistance regarding your recall.

Rob
Ram Cares

blbrown

Reaction score
Could you give insight on this recall repair? Because my dealer seems to be clueless and told me it could be months. It failed the thermo test and they parked the truck and haven’t touched it since. Star closed my case stating I need a new relay and my dealer hasn’t done anything since
Just got my 2020 2500 back from Dealer, it took them a couple of days to diagnose and repair, replacing the Grid Heater and Relay. Couldn't be happier with Automation Dodge Bellevue WA.

Attachments

• 20211202_183529.jpg
    20211202_183529.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 43

Robtheelder

Reaction score
Glad you had a good outcome. This is the first instance of "deformed" grid heater.

DRAGRAM

Reaction score
OK, I am going to humbly ask, where is this electronic grid heater relay located. Is it buried down near the grid heater itself or is it in the cab or? I have looked and I am stumped. Lots of Guys show the relay after they removed it to inspect it and no one is complaining about it being difficult to access or remove. Also confusing. Any help would be appreciated. I smelled something getting hot electrical today after a very cold start. I think it would be a good idea to get a look at it. I could NOT smell anything under the hood after a short 1/2 mile drive.

rfullen280

Reaction score
OK, I am going to humbly ask, where is this electronic grid heater relay located. Is it buried down near the grid heater itself or is it in the cab or? I have looked and I am stumped. Lots of Guys show the relay after they removed it to inspect it and no one is complaining about it being difficult to access or remove. Also confusing. Any help would be appreciated. I smelled something getting hot electrical today after a very cold start. I think it would be a good idea to get a look at it. I could NOT smell anything under the hood after a short 1/2 mile drive.
Go to the passenger side battery, follow the big wire down from the battery, to just under the intake tube. Mounted on the frame/fender facing the engine...

Users who are viewing this thread