Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Stop Sale on certain diesels incoming (intake air heater relay). - Recall Y76 REFRESHED OCT 2021

Worf_359

Reaction score
Another update: My old mechanical relay came in, but since my truck passed the temp test (with an AB SSR) I've been waiting to install it.

I've got a Banks CAI on the way, will likely install both together since I'll be in that part of the engine bay.

As for dealership experiences, that's my biggest concern here. Honestly, I'm getting good vibes from my dealership so far, but again I've only had the truck serviced once. After doing all my own work for 10+ years, the dealership has two options: Do it right, or do it right with me standing there watching.

The real test will be when I take the wife's 392 Daytona Charger in for a key reprogram. Warranty on that car ended in August, my key fob lost it's connection sometime between then and now. IMO, they should fix it for free, but I'll settle for not getting scalped. (Bought from a different dealership that the truck, since the truck dealership was charging 12K more than we paid for the same exact spec car...)

DRAGRAM

Reaction score
The real test will be when I take the wife's 392 Daytona Charger in for a key reprogram. Warranty on that car ended in August, my key fob lost it's connection sometime between then and now.
Try a second new battery. It worked for me...........

Worf_359

Reaction score
Try a second new battery. It worked for me...........
Good point. All this started when the original battery died, swapped in a new one, seemed to work, started having issues again, tried a third some time later...maybe I've just got stale 2032 batteries.

Southernspeed

Reaction score
I smelled something getting hot electrical today after a very cold start. I think it would be a good idea to get a look at it. I could NOT smell anything under the hood after a short 1/2 mile drive.
I have had a couple of instances lately of getting that hot electrical smell but only when I have the heater dial up high and on a cold start so I'm guessing it's the auxiliary cab heater which helps out until the engine is warm enough. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
The battery monitor is on a negative post on the opposite side. I disconnected mine the same. You have to fast start the truck. If you short press the start button and the temperature is below the threshold the grid heater will activate. The ECM will store a code if the voltage doesn't drop enough. On the third time, the check engine light will come on.
How do you "fast start" the truck? Push the button twice with foot on brake?

wolfpack

Reaction score
So this has been re-recalled? I just got a note today saying bring it in again regardless of previous repair.

Spring’s here. Time to disconnect the relay (again) until the “we can’t get parts” BS subsides.

Attachments

• CFD8CF4F-66D6-4455-9F0E-22785BC4699E.jpeg
    CFD8CF4F-66D6-4455-9F0E-22785BC4699E.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
So this has been re-recalled? I just got a note today saying bring it in again regardless of previous repair.

Spring’s here. Time to disconnect the relay (again) until the “we can’t get parts” BS subsides.
Yep. Re-re.

wolfpack

Reaction score
So i disconnected the relay (again). The dealer did do the RTV thing (originally it had tape). Now it looks like this.

We’ll see how long it takes to get parts. Given where I live (NC), does it make more sense to just remove the grid heater? And thus skip the dreaded bolt problem?

Attachments

• 5D5E0D78-89C1-40B4-845B-4D1946C8B10D.jpeg
    5D5E0D78-89C1-40B4-845B-4D1946C8B10D.jpeg
    463.6 KB · Views: 39
  • EF392C54-810A-46C4-BAA9-B1C7DE5EDF92.jpeg
    EF392C54-810A-46C4-BAA9-B1C7DE5EDF92.jpeg
    496.3 KB · Views: 39

Will_T

Reaction score
Given where I live (NC), does it make more sense to just remove the grid heater? And thus skip the dreaded bolt problem?
I think that with the relay disconnected, you can't create the issue that causes the bolt problem? If that is correct, then we should plenty of time to think about removal and be good at least until the new relays are available. I did the wiggle test on mine and it was good. But I have had the relay disconnected for several months over the 1-1/2 years I have had the truck.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I think that with the relay disconnected, you can't create the issue that causes the bolt problem? If that is correct, then we should plenty of time to think about removal and be good at least until the new relays are available. I did the wiggle test on mine and it was good. But I have had the relay disconnected for several months over the 1-1/2 years I have had the truck.
Yea if its not connected you wont have the bolt arc out.

WisHawk

Reaction score
Dealer has no ideal about relay for my 2021. They can't even get the dipstick recall parts.
Would like to load the Jeep on the trailer and head out west in a couple weeks.
It sure would be nice to have all of this done before hand.

rfullen280

Reaction score
Just drive the truck. If it catches fire. You've had it since 2021 I assume, so it's the same vintage as mine.

The relay (which it's not).. won't affect you if it hasn't by now, they're just doing a CYA. You can disconnect it from the battery, and then - it's not gonna be an issue.

The Dipstick is just a locking one that keeps trans fluid from puking onto your exhaust manifold. You can secure yours on there if you need. I towed 10K lbs up a 14,000 foot pass last summer, no pukey pukey... And the tech also puts a fresh vent valve on the top of the trans by climbing underneath... in case you have a defective one. I'd assume you don't if you haven't caught fire yet :O

So - those are options.

wolfpack

Reaction score
Was told by my local dealer that the relays are available but they are restricted to one order every seven days. He thinks that might change next month.

rfullen280

Reaction score
Was told by my local dealer that the relays are available but they are restricted to one order every seven days. He thinks that might change next month.
Good! That means that if there is a fire, and you lose your truck - that kind of information will be of great use by lawyers during the Discovery phase of the liability lawsuit.

Everyone with issues in these recalls needs to file an NHTSA report and complaint. Screw Stellantis...make them have to deal with the bureaucrats. Nothing worse than a government worker with nothing better to do and a future promotion in mind.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Good! That means that if there is a fire, and you lose your truck - that kind of information will be of great use by lawyers during the Discovery phase of the liability lawsuit.

Everyone with issues in these recalls needs to file an NHTSA report and complaint. Screw Stellantis...make them have to deal with the bureaucrats. Nothing worse than a government worker with nothing better to do and a future promotion in mind.

Lets be real there have been a total of 16 trucks that had the trans dipstick come out and 8 that caught fire so out of the couple hundred thousand trucks made i would take those chances you have a higher chance of getting hit by a truck

Will_T

Reaction score
Lets be real there have been a total of 16 trucks that had the trans dipstick come out and 8 that caught fire so out of the couple hundred thousand trucks made i would take those chances you have a higher chance of getting hit by a truck

Who knows how many have come out. I noticed mine out of the hole about 1/4" a few months ago. No sign of any fluid though. Just put it back in and so far, it has stayed. I think it is more likely that when I had my oil changed, the dealer tech checked the other fluids and did not fully seat the dipstick. But who knows. In any case, my dealer says they have nothing available for that recall or this grid heater "relay" at this point.

rfullen280

Reaction score
Who knows how many have come out. I noticed mine out of the hole about 1/4" a few months ago. No sign of any fluid though. Just put it back in and so far, it has stayed. I think it is more likely that when I had my oil changed, the dealer tech checked the other fluids and did not fully seat the dipstick. But who knows. In any case, my dealer says they have nothing available for that recall or this grid heater "relay" at this point.
Well, I have a 21. When the first grid relay came out - I tested with an infrared and no problems.

RamCares can't help. Dealers suck. Lawyers make it worse.

Attachments

• IMG_6786.jpeg
    IMG_6786.jpeg
    364.7 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread