Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Stop Sale on certain diesels incoming (intake air heater relay). - Recall Y76 REFRESHED OCT 2021

wolfpack

Reaction score
I was thinking the same, buy an AB then let them test it for free. AB I've seen is $100 but that's cheaper than a fire!
No, buy an AB and have your own “self-certified“ professional garage perform the recall and bill FCA $1k for the trouble.

wolfpack

Reaction score
Is this a thing? Any 'business' could do that? Not a FCA dealer?
Yes. I believe you can have anyone perform recall or warranty work and submit the bill. In the case of NHTSA recalls they are going to be quaking in their pants more about lawsuits than writing checks. Make up some convincing letterhead and cash in. They deserve it.

Last edited:

Nd79

Reaction score
Mine went in for the recall today. AA relay. It tested fine (I didn't get any exact temp measurements from them) and they put RTV sealant on the back even though they didn't have to. Mine had the tape and was built after 1/21 so fell outside of the original recall. I'll probably pull it to take a look at it but will run it like this for now.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Some types of recalls end up expanding over time. I get the feeling this one may be one too.

Robtheelder

Reaction score
In the past I have seen similar recalls for other manufacturers that resulted from factory supplier errors during building of the affected parts. Its possible they have more than one supplier for the AA relay and once they get into their system they cant differentiate which are the bad ones and which are good ones. Sounds like either the rivets were not properly installed which allows them to vibrate loose, or the material used for some of the rivets was not up to the intended use.

If the problem was water entering through the rivets

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
On Saturday, I ordered a new "AB" relay from Geno's Garage. This morning, I received a message that the part is now back ordered for at least 70 days. I hope FCA is holding them back for dealer repairs, but I would imagine they are in short supply like everything else.

Will_T

Reaction score
Truck went to dealer today for Y76 recall. Max temp reached was 36C. Had the AA relay with taped back from the factory so recall Y08 did not apply (no RTV added).

It will be interesting to see what others with the AA find their dealer does. So far one AA has had the tape removed and the RTV applied and one AA has just been left with the tape and no application of RTV. I would be happier with my AA having the tape removed and the RTV put on it. But I guess reading the recall does not call for that. Perhaps some dealers do it because to them it seems to be a better approach than just leaving the tape. Or maybe they misread the recall instructions.

wolfpack

Reaction score
Just got an email from Mopar parts saying they’re cancelling my order for the AB relay because it is back ordered with no ETA. So that tells me, yes, failed A or AA relays get an AB and there are no ABs. God help you if your truck goes in and fails the temperature test. You won’t have a vehicle for 6 months.

MotoFish

Reaction score
My 2021 3500 went in yesterday. My build date was in February 2021. I did not get a copy of the relay test results. However, it says it has “Passed” and no further action was required. They did nothing to the relay, so whatever was done at the factory (RTV/Tape/AB Relay, whatever is in there) is considered fixed. Therefore, at this point I won’t worry about it unless further issues arise and there is a another recall or action to be done.

Robtheelder

Reaction score
My 2021 3500 went in yesterday. My build date was in February 2021. I did not get a copy of the relay test results. However, it says it has “Passed” and no further action was required. They did nothing to the relay, so whatever was done at the factory (RTV/Tape/AB Relay, whatever is in there) is considered fixed. Therefore, at this point I won’t worry about it unless further issues arise and there is a another recall or action to be done.
The dealer did not provide me with the temp numbers either. They do send an email with the maintenance results and embedded in that email was a .pdf that included the test results. Take a look and see if you got a text or email. The data maybe found there. Else ask the dealer to provide the information.

MotoFish

Reaction score
The dealer did not provide me with the temp numbers either. They do send an email with the maintenance results and embedded in that email was a .pdf that included the test results. Take a look and see if you got a text or email. The data maybe found there. Else ask the dealer to provide the information.
Thanks for the information. I haven’t received it yet. I will see if they do today.

Will_T

Reaction score
Just got an email from Mopar parts saying they’re cancelling my order for the AB relay because it is back ordered with no ETA. So that tells me, yes, failed A or AA relays get an AB and there are no ABs. God help you if your truck goes in and fails the temperature test. You won’t have a vehicle for 6 months.

Dealers may not be allowed to do it, but they could disconnect a failed AA relay.
I think I remember hearing years ago on a different brand that if a safety recall could be completed, the dealer could not let the vehicle go for liability reasons.
Jimmy posted the quote below earlier in the thread. If that is correct it seems a dealer would have to let you drive away even if your AA failed and they did not have a replacement.
The last quote below from the NHTSA site says there are 3 options. Repair, Replace, or Refund. But that page does not specifically say what a dealer can do if they agree to replace a part but do not have the part available. I could find nothing that says a dealer can not hold your vehicle until parts are available.

Hold on, before misinformation here gets so out of control that people will be scared to even see if they have a defective relay- There is no law requiring the owner of a recalled vehicle to have the recall completed, and nobody, including the dealer, can confiscate a vehicle that you (or the bank, or whoever holds your title) own for not being able to complete the recall. Federally speaking, it is illegal for a dealer to SELL a brand new vehicle that has a recall, and it is not illegal to sell a used vehicle with an open recall. But no, the dealer can not hold your vehicle if you bring it in and they can’t perform the repair until parts are in.

From NHTSA
Once a safety-defect determination is made, the law gives the manufacturer three options for correcting the defect – repair, replacement, or refund.

I wonder what would happen if you had your relay disconnected and did not want the recall addressed until parts were available? If you had to get an oil/filters change done could you tell the dealer only to do the maintenance and not address the recall. Or do they have not choice but to do the recall if an impacted truck comes in for maintenance even with the relay disconnected?

I guess we won't really know what happens until several people report here about AA relays that fail the temperature test and see if the dealers are holding the vehicles, disconnecting the relays, or leaving them connected and releasing the truck back to the owner. I have not seen any posts yet that a relay failed the temperature test.

Last edited:

Will_T

Reaction score
So that tells me, yes, failed A or AA relays get an AB and there are no ABs.

My truck started the build process in late March 2021 and has the AA relay. It was still at the factory during the original recall and was never included in the recall. I have not removed my relay to check, but I think I likely have the AA with the tape on the back.

Maybe I missed it, but I have not seen anyone say they have an "A" relay, only AA or AB? I think the AA came both with and without tape and the AB has the RTV? Maybe someone with a truck built in late 2020 or very early 2021 can pop their hood and tell us if their relay is A or AA? Thanks!

Last edited:

clarkfred

Reaction score
Had mine checked last week. They said mine is bad. I did not get a report on what they tested just that it is bad. I brought it in with the relay disconnected from the battery. Got back home expecting to have to disconnect it again....bit it was either already or still disconnected and hanging where I had it. Mine was built 4/21 and has the AA. Was told they don't have the parts they would call me back when the part came in. Got a call yesterday that the part was in. So I asked what the part was...he said an AB. So next Tuesday I will go back and have the AA replaced with the AB.

2021 Laramie

Users who are viewing this thread